• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turtle Dove? (1 Viewer)

martindove

martindove
I get lots of collared doves in my garden, but when I looked out of the window today I saw this beauty. Is it a turtle dove?

Attachments

• 100_3041.jpg
    100_3041.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 316
Looks like one to me. Nice pic of a bird that i have not seen in the north of England for years. Wish i had one in the garden

Thanks everyone, not only is it a great garden tick, it's a first for me as I've never seen a Turtle Dove before, and there it was in my garden! Marvellous!

The Turtle Dove that was in my garden May 2007 stayed for a few days, it fed with the Collard Doves. So if there's food in your garden keep your camera at the ready, as you may get some more shots. Also make the most of it, mine was the only one I ever saw in my garden.|=)|

BTW: I only got a picture of mine through net curtains, so you've done better than I managed.

Just an off the mark question but this species is not a garden bird like other doves?

It's a summer visitor that comes all the way from Africa. They are a red list species; many are shot in the Mediterranean during their migration.

So the fact they reach our back gardens is quite an achievement.

And sure enough she is back for the third day running. I took ChrisKten'c advice and kept the camera ready. Here is my best shot so far.

Attachments

• 100_3060.jpg
    100_3060.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 100
You are a lucky so and so...The only places we have ever seen them are Mallorca and Menorca..... I might just turn up at your garden.

And sure enough she is back for the third day running. I took ChrisKten'c advice and kept the camera ready. Here is my best shot so far.

Fabulous photo! They nest quite near us (on land due for development:-C), and I've spent hours trying to film them, but only manage to get distant shots, so really envy you;)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back