• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turkey, August what to expect (1 Viewer)

Bananafishbones

Incoherently Rambling .....
United Kingdom
Will be in Turkey for a week mid August..... a mountainous area called Uzumlu near Fethiye, Although not a birding holiday can anyone give me an idea of species that I may see. I will be staying rural with only the odd trip to the coast / town

Cheers
Dave

Just an update in case anyone else visits the area of UZUMULU:
14th -21st August

Situated high above Fethiye, Uzumulu is a fairly quite and unspoilt village. Surrounded by either pine woodland or Olive groves our apartment was 400mtrs from the village centre.

This was a family holiday so I kept the birdwatching to a minimum and only made a couple of walks to the pine forests.

List of birds seen from the apartment were:
House Sparrows (200+ came to roost every evening in the bushes adjacent to our apartment garden). Jays (the cervicalis variety with black cap) were abundant in the olive groves and nearby woodlands close to the apartment and would have made for great flight images if I had taken the camera and 400mm lense. GS Woodpeckers were nearly as abundant as the Jays. Our apartments played home to 17 House Martin nests, all were empty except for 2 that kept the adults busy feeding the few juveniles left in the nests. Collared Doves spent all day on the wires and in the stubble fields, being kept company in the blistering heat by the Blackbirds in the bushes below...

Other birds seen from the apartment and very close up were Goldfinch, Lesser Whitethroat, Willow warbler, Grey Wagtail (usualy coming to the pool side), Sedge Warbler and the best of all a Sombre tit that stood atop one of the olive bushes right alongside the pool.

The 5 minute walk to the base of the pine covered hill brought 3 Crested Lark (also seen at Tlos village an hour away) a juvenile Woodchat Shrike and juvenile Red Backed Shrike. The hill itself brought Krupers Nuthatch (at least 10 counted), Sardinian Warbler, Chaffinch, Great tit, Coal Tits by the dozen and the Tukey species of Long Tailed Tit (alpinus). A single Spotted Flycatcher made up for the ones I have missed back home this year.

The hillside also brought Red squirrels (I saw 3 in 5 minutes), Tortoise and a Blue Tailed lizard that I havent found the correct name of yet.

Swallowtail butterflys are in massive numbers all around the village.

My Lark & Warbler ID skills are very average at best and I know I missed at least 1 other Lark that flew through and 3-4 Warblers that I couldnt ID, although I borrowed a friends camera for a short walk so will get some ID help later on on at least one Warbler.

I didnt particularly have to try to find these birds, I simply spent a few hours during the week walking around the village, so with some dedicated time and less intensive 40 degree heat, I think UZUMULU is a good birding location and merely a 20 minute drive up the mountain from Fethiye on the coast
Dave

I'm not sure you get "our" Red Squirrel in Turkey, but I may be wrong. Certainly the ones I see down the coast at Dalyan (and I think possibly in Lesbos too?) are PGS's.

Although they are called ground squirrels they are associated with woodland...

Could the Woodpeckers have been Syrian? - apologies for further possible querying ... I think both do occur that way, but hey ...

Lower down near Fethiye there'll be a different set of birds - I saw a few nice things there when I was in Turkey years ago. Nice area.

It's always nice to see a different set of birds than you see at home, but don't think I would have wanted to be there in 40 degrees!!! Hope there was a pool!

I'm not sure you get "our" Red Squirrel in Turkey, but I may be wrong. Certainly the ones I see down the coast at Dalyan (and I think possibly in Lesbos too?) are PGS's.

Although they are called ground squirrels they are associated with woodland...

Cheers Rob, You may well be correct then.... I wish I had taken my camera now, would have been good to get some better IDs

Could the Woodpeckers have been Syrian? - apologies for further possible querying ... I think both do occur that way, but hey ...

Lower down near Fethiye there'll be a different set of birds - I saw a few nice things there when I was in Turkey years ago. Nice area.

It's always nice to see a different set of birds than you see at home, but don't think I would have wanted to be there in 40 degrees!!! Hope there was a pool!

Cheers dan, the GSW were nowhere near as obliging as the Jays but I did get some descent views and am certain the ones I saw were GSW their call certainly sounded familiar.
The heat was very oppresive, the 40 degrees was recorded in the shade.... I am sure this kept many birds out of sight aswell. The pool was most welcome!

Last edited:
I think Dan could be right concerning the woodpeckers Dave. I've just been to western Turkey recently and all the woodpeckers I saw (and I saw quite a few too) were Syrian. They're very similar in appearance to GS, which I don't think occurs in the south west. The squirrels would be Persian too.

Stitch

Re: squirrels in S Turkey are Caucasian or Persian Red Squirrels Sciurus anomalus. No Reds there! Also there are several ground squirrels or sousliks Spermophilus, but they look very different and don't climb trees.

best,

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back