• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trip to Vietnam (1 Viewer)

danysloan

United States
Good morning,

My family and I are putting together a trip to Vietnam for this August. While birding will be secondary (I am the only birder that will be going), there will be at least 1-2 days devoted to birding, as well as each morning.

We will be primarily around Hanoi and HCM City (flying between the two), so any pointers of what to see and expect in the north and south. I know some of the parks are a 2-3 drive, and that's ok.

If anyone has any firsthand experience, links to helpful websites, or tips on the best bird guides, please let me know. Before I go on trips, I like to plan every little detail and do exhaustive research.

Cheers,
Dany

See http://vietnambirding.com/.

Richard Craik can be very helpful in your planning and could also arrange guides for you if required.

I've recently returned from my first trip to Vietnam and was surprised just how difficult birding was compared with such as Thailand. There is a considerable caged-bird trade in Vietnam which is unregulated (despite their laws) and this makes birds very wary of any human presence. In addition those few birders in Vietnam are quite reluctant to disclose detailed information about specific sites in the country in fear of it falling into the "wrong hands".

Also see http://www.travellingbirder.com/tripreports/default.php but be aware that site information does change very quickly, often due to the degree of commercial development that is underway.

Travel is quite slow so expect longish journeys and as always, the best birding is to be found around dawn.

It's a great country to visit and you should have fun.

Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back