• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Treecreeper, East Coast Reserve, Ireland (1 Viewer)

pianoman

duck and diver, bobolink and weaver
Hi, the enclosed were taken in mid-May, in an area of Willow/Birch/Alder fenland.

Has the shortest bill I have seen on a Treecreeper. In pic 1 you can see the hind claw, but I can't really come to a conclusion. Impression on site was that the bird was smaller and lighter coloured than I am used to. Little devil wouldn't stay still to be photographed...

Any possibility it is Short-toed, or is my imagination running away with me again

Thanks

Andrew

Attachments

• treecreeper1.jpg
    treecreeper1.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 77
  • treecreeper2.jpg
    treecreeper2.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 67
Eurasian; a short bill fits this better than Short-toed (which could equally be called 'Long-billed Treecreeper'). Perhaps a recently fledged juvenile to account for the even shorter-than-usual bill?

Eurasian; a short bill fits this better than Short-toed (which could equally be called 'Long-billed Treecreeper'). Perhaps a recently fledged juvenile to account for the even shorter-than-usual bill?

Thanks Nutcracker, and interesting about the short bill.

I am seeing a bit of a yellow gape line in the second photo, so I would agree with this age assessment.

I am seeing a bit of a yellow gape line in the second photo, so I would agree with this age assessment.

Yep juvenile makes sense now. I thought it was adult because it was carrying food in its bill but perhaps it is just a messy eater :)

Are you sure they are the same bird? The first seems to have a more obvious supercilium and different wing pattern. Possibly also a longer bill.

Maybe this is an adult coming in to feed a young juvenile. If there was a lot of movement like you say (which could happen at feeding time), maybe you missed that there was more than one bird present.

It's entirely possible that they are different. They move fast, and I was pretty close to a nest site I think. Good call.

Juvie treecreeper - awwww :)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back