• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tipula sp. Switzerland (1 Viewer)

S_Man

I only find T. maxima and T. vernalis on the local app, but this looks more like T. olaracea or T. paludosa?

Are these the eggs/larvas it/she is taking care of?

Attachments

• tiphula.jpg
    tiphula.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 8
  • tiphula_wing.jpg
    tiphula_wing.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 8
  • tiphula_eggs.jpg
    tiphula_eggs.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 8
I only find T. maxima and T. vernalis on the local app, but this looks more like T. olaracea or T. paludosa?

Are these the eggs/larvas it/she is taking care of?
Certainly not T. maxima or T. vernalis
likely to be T. olaracea or T. paludosa but other species od subgen Tipula need to be considered, need shot of underside of head and male genitalia

Certainly not T. maxima or T. vernalis
likely to be T. olaracea or T. paludosa but other species od subgen Tipula need to be considered, need shot of underside of head and male genitalia
I see. Do they live in couple, so the male could still be around?

By "living in couple" I really meant taking care of what appears to be a nest, like the female apparently does, in this case I'd have a chance to see him there... Sounds late in the season for a nest, by the way, we could already have the first frosts, but 25°C are announced in a few days instead!

By "living in couple" I really meant taking care of what appears to be a nest, like the female apparently does, in this case I'd have a chance to see him there... Sounds late in the season for a nest, by the way, we could already have the first frosts, but 25°C are announced in a few days instead!
No, the females lay their eggs scattered in grassland, the "nest" is nothing to do with the Tipula. There will be males about though, they are often abundant at this time of the year.

No, the females lay their eggs scattered in grassland, the "nest" is nothing to do with the Tipula. There will be males about though, they are often abundant at this time of the year.

Thanks, I'll try to keep this in mind which parts matters for similar tipulas...

I could only find this little guy so far, I suppose it's a male, but apparently a 3rd species, I'm not sure which genus? And no way to get more pictures, it disappeared in the hedge...

Attachments

• Tipulidae_sp.JPG
    Tipulidae_sp.JPG
    185.9 KB · Views: 4
I could only find this little guy so far, I suppose it's a male, but apparently a 3rd species, I'm not sure which genus? And no way to get more pictures, it disappeared in the hedge...
Indeed a male but not same species as those up thread. But unless it has particularly distinctive wing patterning you need a shot that show the small details of the male terminalia both dorsally and laterally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back