• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three Zeiss Scope Reviews by Roger Vine (1 Viewer)

John A Roberts

Australia
Many will be aware of the series of comprehensive reviews of binoculars by Roger, and for many of us they provide an always informative starting point.
See at: Binocular Reviews

In addition, Roger has recently added reviews of three Zeiss spotting scopes:
• the Harpia 85 and the Harpia 95, together with
• the Gavia 85
As the scopes are primarily for terrestrial use they have been included on the binocular page.

However, as Roger’s main interest is in astronomy, a set of comprehensive reviews of astronomical scopes can also be found on a seperate page at:
Telescope Reviews

And a lot of other interesting information can be found by starting at the home page: Scope Views Home

John

Last edited:
I enjoy my harpia 85mm.
Really sharp and bright, and the field of view, especially at 22x is incredible.. I can literally point in the general direction and be confident that the target will be in view!

Don't like the eyepiece/eyecup twist to extend. There is something strange about it, I have to twist a while for it to start extending out. Wouldn't be surprised if mine has a fault, but it's mostly cosmetic

Also the stay on case makes it very difficult to slide out the lens hood. It's both tight and difficult to grip. Again mostly a cosmetic issue.

Thank you for pointing it, John! (y)
It's well written and well illustrated. Just missed some flaws of the Harpia:
  • doesn't mention the aperture limitation at lower mags. Isn't noticeable unless you compare with other models of the same aperture at the same mags but is a limitation for digiscopy and lowlight use;
  • doesn't mention the loss of definition at higher mag position, at the limit of the field - see X95 vs. Harpia
  • doesn't mention that the Harpia 95 only has 93mm true aperture - see Kimmo post 10 at My Harpia biased contact at BF
I will e-mail the author, in case he still has the Harpia 95.

Thank you for pointing it, John! (y)
It's well written and well illustrated. Just missed some flaws of the Harpia:
  • doesn't mention the aperture limitation at lower mags. Isn't noticeable unless you compare with other models of the same aperture at the same mags but is a limitation for digiscopy and lowlight use;
  • doesn't mention the loss of definition at higher mag position, at the limit of the field - see X95 vs. Harpia
  • doesn't mention that the Harpia 95 only has 93mm true aperture - see Kimmo post 10 at My Harpia biased contact at BF
I will e-mail the author, in case he still has the Harpia 95.
Perhaps he regards these as trivial.

Lee

If those are the flaws, it truly must be an amazing scope. A birder, such as me, doesn't notice any of those when using it. As mentioned above, I do notice the extremely wide field of view etc

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back