• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three-toed Woodpeckers near Munich (1 Viewer)

Next week I'm going to a place called Tegernsee, south of Munich, on a social visit. I've never seen Three-toed Woodpecker and I was wondering if it's possible to see this species in the area. Tegernsee is right on the northern edge of the Alps and I was wondering if the species is present in the area at higher altitudes. If anybody has a stakeout, or a good area, that would be great.

Thanks

Keith Vinicombe

I haven't seen them yet, but there's this link:

http://www.birdinggermany.de/dreizehenspecht.htm

The fourth location described there (Tatzelwurm, apparently a mountain near Bayrischzell) seems to be relatively close to the Tegernsee. According to the description, it also has White-backed Woodpeckers.

Hopefully someone with better knowledge of the area will be able to comment.

Next week I'm going to a place called Tegernsee, south of Munich, on a social visit. I've never seen Three-toed Woodpecker and I was wondering if it's possible to see this species in the area. Tegernsee is right on the northern edge of the Alps and I was wondering if the species is present in the area at higher altitudes. If anybody has a stakeout, or a good area, that would be great.

Thanks

Keith Vinicombe

Just in case it isn't too late:

I would try the Eibsee about 10 miles west of Garmisch for Three-toed. This walking route is probably the best:

http://goo.gl/maps/pblY6

White-backed and Black Woodpecker also occur. Shortly after dawn is best when drumming is at its peak. With some luck you could see Hazel Grouse and Capercailie. Alpine Chough can be scoped flying around the summit of the Zugspitze.

However, all the interesting birds occur in low densities anywhere in the German Alps and there are no guarantees.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back