• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thorpe Marsh Nature Reserve (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
I have tried to visit Thorpe Marsh at least twice in the past, but couldn't find the way in! This is not quite the ineptitudeness that it sounds, as one of the entrances in my "Where to Watch Birds in Yorkshire" is no longer in use, and the other one rather resembles a building site.

For those familiar with the area, or who also have my version of WTWBIY, the Marsh Lane entrance is out of commission for the foreseeable future, so you will have to use the entrance off Forstead Lane (close to the only pylon on the southern side of the road).

My book also suggests that it is necessary to obtain a Reserve Permit from the Yorkshire Wildlife Trust. I have contacted YWT, and this is not the case.

As it happens, we arrived at the first hide (Hide G?) in time to meet the site warden; an elderly gentlemen with a hearing aid and glaucoma (he was on his way home from hospital after his latest treatment!), and with an obvious passion for the reserve, which he has visited at least once a week for the last twenty or so years.

He confirmed that no Entry Permit is required, and also that Site Wardens and disabled visitors are allowed to drive onto the reserve (the tracks are fine for cars) and can reach at least two of the hides and the Field Centre (which was closed on my visit).

As a non-disabled person, it is difficult for me to comment on the accessibilty of these hides for people with physical disabilities. However the hides at Thorpe Marsh appear your normal bog-standard affairs, with no particular enhancement for disabled visitors.

There are a number of further hides that require you to cross open fields, which look like they can get horrendously muddy!

For non-disabled visitors, it is necessary to park at the roadside, and follow the public footpath onto the reserve – this being the same track as for vehicular access.

The reserve comprises centrally a "mere" complete with a couple of small islands. Further into the hide there are anumber of fields that appear to be free to roam through (but see the mud comment earlier). There is a further smaller mere where it seems some of the wildfowl hide, although this is only served by one fairly distant observation hide. It is possible to gain closer access, but your only cover is the shrubbery.

In addition to the fields and the meres, there is a largish plantation and other stand of trees, giving a nice mix of habitats.

There is also a smallish "bus-shelter" type construction where 4 or 5 people could sit and eat their snap – small table provided! However, anyone over about 5ft 10, should watch out for the nails (yes nails!) protruding donwards through the roof!

Having finally found a way in, I would definitely return. The only downer being, as we left, one of the builders happened to mention that he had seen mink on the reserve the previous week. I don't know if there are any mink at large in S. Yorks. but having no reason to disbelieve the guy, this is a slightly worrying development.

The GR of the nearest village (Barnby Dun) is SE600100

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back