• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

This isn't in Traveller 8x32's Specification (1 Viewer)

Troubador

Staff member
Supporter
A few days ago we were sitting on a cliff top in Scotland overlooking a cove where Otters frequently wash themselves in freshwater, and a rocky shore visited by Cormorants and Oystercatchers, when a big Grey Seal floated to the surface, just off-shore and proceeded to gradually rotate to eventually face back towards the direction from which it had arrived and after a few puffs of breath it sank below the waves and disappeared. Over the next hour or so, it repeated this behaviour over and over again. Which was intriguing to say the least. I was watching it through a pair of Opticron Traveller 8x32s and after observing this behaviour a few times I realised something quite impressive. I could see the seal's eyebrow hairs at a distance that a map told me was about 150 metres. OK lets be honest, these hairs aren't fine filaments but are fairly coarse like cats' whiskers rather than spiders' webs. But even so, I think that is pretty impressive for a highly affordable pair of binos.

Lee

My go-to binoculars are the 8x32 EL SV, and a keep a pair of 8x32 Traveller for when I want to go very light, or fear there might be some risky stuff involved were binoculars could be damaged/lost. So my Traveller don't see a lot of use as they used to before the EL. But then, whenever I use them I'm impressed not only by their big asset (their compact size and weight and their form factor, superb grip), but also by their sheer image quality. So much so, that whenever I use them I start to think whether I should sell the EL. Yes, obviously the EL is the better pair, but the Traveller never cease to impress. I was a big fan of the Nikon Monarch 7, although I prefer the Traveller, I'm curious to see what Nikon has been able to do with the new M7 (besides making a nicer looking binocular and increasing the price, this is :D :D). But I wholeheartedly agree with you, so much for a reasonable price (I got mine 2nd hand, so the value is just mindblowing, probably the best price-quality ratio I've experienced). Great little device.

Yes. Better options than the Terra in my opinion. Terra’s I’ve tried have noticeable distortion. Some even refer to them as Terrables. To be fair some like them as well so you should check out a pair if you’re interested. The only issue I have with Travellers are the eyecups are too short for me.

It really is surprising what you can see with decent 8x32 bins, my go to bins are a pair of 8x32 Countryman, for some reason now discontinued. I am not very good on my feet now so travel fairly light and these fit the bill. For someone from the old 8x30 or 8x40 porreo prism school I could not believe how good they were when I first got them.

Have any of you compared to the Zeiss Terra HD 8x32?
I bought a pair for my wife and I thought they were quite nice for under $500. Very good optics, during my short time use. My only quibble was that the focuser tension was higher than I liked, so I returned them and gave my wife a pair of Conquest HD 8x32s. The step up to Conquest HD was significant. But for the money, I think the Terras are a good option, if you are ok with the focuser tension. Opticron Traveller 8x32 gets my nod over the Terras, though, for a little more money.

I want to get a 8x32. Opticron Traveller BGA ED and Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 are attractive.
I understand Conquest is better but also much more expensive. And it weighs 180g more than Traveller. Conquest has stated 16mm eye relief and is fully sufficient for me with eyeglasses, I tried it a few weeks ago. Traveller has stated 19mm, which seems a bit exaggerated. It seems unlikely that ER is 3mm longer than Conquest. But I have not yet tried it.
Both have almost the same FOV of 8/8,2 deg.
Traveller has the advantages of being lighter, smaller and cheaper...

I want to get a 8x32. Opticron Traveller BGA ED and Zeiss Conquest HD 8x32 are attractive.
I understand Conquest is better but also much more expensive. And it weighs 180g more than Traveller. Conquest has stated 16mm eye relief and is fully sufficient for me with eyeglasses, I tried it a few weeks ago. Traveller has stated 19mm, which seems a bit exaggerated. It seems unlikely that ER is 3mm longer than Conquest. But I have not yet tried it.
Both have almost the same FOV of 8/8,2 deg.
Traveller has the advantages of being lighter, smaller and cheaper...
The Traveler 8x32 is nice, but the Conquest HD 8x32 is fantastic... and well worth the extra money, in my view. I've had the Conquest HD 8x32 for about 8-9 years, and recently tried the Traveler 8x32 for a short while, before returning them (glare was a bit of an issue for me with the Travelers).

The Conquest HD 8x32 receives very high praise from quite a few users here on this forum.

I don't think the Traveler's is a direct comparison to the Conquest.... and was never designed for that and the $ difference shows. The Travelers compete in my thinking to the Mavens, Nikon Monarch (non HG) etc. To me, the Traveler is a perfect knock around bin and I keep mine in Australia for when I visit it is my main bin when there with my daughter and family. jim

I don't think the Traveler's is a direct comparison to the Conquest.... and was never designed for that and the $ difference shows. The Travelers compete in my thinking to the Mavens, Nikon Monarch (non HG) etc. To me, the Traveler is a perfect knock around bin and I keep mine in Australia for when I visit it is my main bin when there with my daughter and family. jim
I agree... Traveler is nice and a strong contender at its price point. As you say, for a modest price "knock around" that isn't your primary/everyday use binocular, I think Traveler is a good choice. They did present some glare issues, for me, which are not present with the Conquest HDs. But, Traveler is not in the same league as Conquest HD.

If one is considering either/or as a primary/regular use binocular, and the price is not a problem... I would choose Conquest HD again, in a heartbeat.

Another one to toss in the mix is the Opticron Verano..... I regard that better than the Traveler so more in competition with that $900 group although still not equal to the Conquest or HG etc...

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back