• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The strange case of Styginetta lofgreni (1 Viewer)

Melanie

Germany
Styginetta lofgreni is a rather strange case of a nomen nudum. It was first described in a doctoral thesis The origin and ecological diversification of modern birds: Evidence from the extinct wading ducks, Presbyornithidae (Neornithes: Anseriformes) by Thomas Allen Stidham in 2001 based on fossils from the Hell Creek Formation (therefore the genus name epithet "Styginetta" from the old greek word "Styx"). Afterwards it got never a valid published OD. Interestingly it made a comeback in the critically acclaimed tv series Prehistoric Planet (at Apple TV+) in 2023. My question is was there indeed never a valid OD of this bird or it is just a synonym of Presbyornis (a close relative)?

Last edited:
In this paper a second new species of Presbyornithidae is described: Presbyornis maximus sp. n. , also a Nomen Nudum (a thesis name).

Unfortunately the link given by Melanie does not give thr complete thesis.. amongst others, the systematic section is missing, o I cannot give any details.

Some informatiomn on Styginetta lofgreni can be found on

Fred

Last edited:
I asked Thomas Stidham for some information on these species, this is his answer:

This is what I wrote him:

Dear Dr. Stidham,

A few years agoo we discussed Columba congi.

Now I had a lady asking me some questions on Styginetta lofgreni and Presbyornis maximus. Unfortunately I had to admit I never heard of these taxa, but that I would try to find out whatever I can about them. I only found out that they are Nomina Nuda that came from your 2001 doctoral thesis, The origin and ecological diversification of modern birds: Evidence from the extinct wading ducks, Presbyornithidae (Neornithes: Anseriformes). I was able to find part of your thesis online, but that only conferms these names, all details are missing.

I am hoping there is a pdf file from your thesis and you can sen dit to me. If not, you can give me details on these taxa like holotypes, referred material etc., diagnosis, etymology, locus typicus and distribution, age and anything more you can think of. I am very curious about these species!

Hoping you are willing to help me,
Sincerely,

Fred Ruhe

Today he replied:

Fred,

Yes, there are taxa in my thesis that have never been published. It is a dissertation, not a peer-reviewed publication. So they shouldn't be nomen nuda since they were never published. I'm hoping to get back to that material (and new specimens) this year.

I don't have a single pdf file of my dissertation (it was made before the era of pdfs being common).

Tom

So we have to wait and hope tjhat publication comes soon!

Fred

I am curious, too. Especially that Wikipedia claims that Styginetta was a specialized flamingo-like filter feeder and also that it was confirmed to survive the K/T extinction. Knowing that K/T extinction was basically hell on Earth, this seems very strange.

Through luck a member of birdforum send me a copy of the complete thesis from 2001. So I can give the details. Keep in mind it are unpublished names and have no standing in taxonomy.

SYSTEMATIC PALEONTOLOGY

Neomithes
Neognathae
Anseriformes
Presbyomithidae

Revised diagnosis:
three scars on the ventral side of the inflated acrocoracoid for
the origin of the m. biceps, the m. coracobrachialis anterior, and possibly the attachment of the coracoclavicular ligament; presence of an accessory fossa anteroventral to the supracoracoideus fossa on the posteroventral aspect of the acrocoracoid; ossified supratendinal bridge covering the passage of the m. interosseus on the distal end of the carpometacarpus; scapula with a ventrolaterally placed fossa for the origin of the m. scapulohumeral is just posterior to the glenoid; ilia not completely fused to the synsacrum in adults; quadrate that is not inflated posterior to the mandibular condyles; distal end of muscle insertion scar of m. iliotrochantericus anterior on the proximal femur is wide at its distal end compared to proximal end, forming a J-shaped scar; long legs with the femur contributing less than 20% to the total leg length (femur + tibiotarsus + tarsometatarsus).

Styginetta lofgreni n. sp.

Holotype: RAM 6707, a nearly complete right coracoid from V94078.

Referred material: Sternal rostra; RAM 6708 from V94096. Coracoids, UCMP 130713 from V80102; UCMP 175251 from V93126: UCMP 187208 from V87074. Scapulae: UCMP 130710 from V76148; UCMP 130711 from V84024.

Horizon: RAM V94078, from the upper part of the Hell Creek Formation, McCone County, Montana, Puercan NALMA, early Paleocene. Referred specimens are from Ried Coulee Micro UCMP V93126 (Lancian NALMA, Hell Creek Formation, Garfield County, Montana), RAM V94096 (Hell Creek Formation, McCone County, Montana, Puercan NALMA, early Paleocene), North Terrace UCMP V80102 (Puercan NALMA, early Paleocene, Fort Union Formation, Garfield County, Montana), Barney’s Rubble-Bird UCMP V76148 (Lancian NALMA, late Cretaceous, Hell Creek Formation, Garfield County, Montana), and Lakeside UCMP V84024 (Lancian NALMA, late Cretaceous, Hell Creek Formation, Garfield County, Montana). The presence of specimens in the Lancian NALMA part of the Hell Creek Formation, the Puercan NALMA part of the Hell Creek Formation, and the Paleocene Fort Union Formation indicates that this species survived the K-T mass extinction, the first such record for birds.

Etymology: Styg (gr.), underworld or hell, in homage to the formation where the holotype was collected. Netta (gr.), duck. The specific epithet honors Dr. Donald L.
Lofgren, the collector of the holotype and many other avian fossils in the Hell Creek and Fort Union Formations.

Diagnosis: This species differs from all other presbyomithids by having a supracoracoideus fossa that lacks a dorsal enlarged boss; ventral muscle scar on sternal end of coracoid medial to its position in P. pervetus; sternal articulation long axis at about 90 degrees to the glenoid plane; posterior tongue of glenoid extends nearly to posterior side of scapular cotyla; dorsal sternal end of coracoid lacks distinct muscle scars; species larger than Presbyomis pervetus, smaller than P. isoni and P. mciximus (Figure 4.1, Appendix 4.1).

Styginetta sp.

Referred material: Carpometacarpus: UCMP 53964 from V5620. Scapulae: UCMP 187209 from V87074; UCMP 187210 from V5620; UCMP 187211 from V65238. Sternal rostrum: AMNH 24322 from the Hell Creek Formation

Horizon: upper part of the Hell Creek Formation (UCMP V87074, Puercan NALMA, early Paleocene, McCone County, Montana) and upper part of the Lance Formation (UCMP V5620 and V65238), Lancian NALMA, latest Cretaceous, Niobrara County, Wyoming.

Remarks: However, the reason these specimens, like the carpometacarpus above, are not allocated to S. lofgreni is that they are distinctly smaller than the scapulae described above for that species (Figure 4.4). These specimens appear to be from adult individuals smaller than the smallest Presbyomis pervetus, which itself is smaller than Styginetta lofgreni (Figure 4.1). None of these scapulae could have articulated with any of the described coracoids of S. lofgreni. They are too small. Where the type and referred specimens of S. lofgreni are larger than those of P. pervetus, all of these additional Cretaceous specimens are much smaller than that Eocene taxon. I refrain from naming a second species of Styginetta at this point, because a coracoid is at present unknown for this separate, though distinct taxon. The presence of this second distinct, smaller species at definite Lancian NALMA sites and at Reproduced with a Hell Creek Puercan site leaves open the possibility that this species too survived the KT extinction.

Unfortunately I cannot give any figures, because they are to low in quality.

Fred

Torotix clemensi Brodkorb, 1963

Holotype: Distal humerus UCMP 53958 from V5620.

Horizon: Lull 2, V5620, Lance Formation, Niobrara County, Wyoming, Lancian NALMA, Maastrichtian, Late Cretaceous.

Discussion: Brodkorb’s (1963) description and diagnosis are accurate but were influenced by his idea that it was flamingo. At present, I have not found a second (lateral) origination ligament for the m. flexor carpi ulnaris in waterfowl or galliforms. I move Torotix to Presbyomithidae, a possibility suggested by Olson and Feduccia (1980b). The number and orientation of the muscle origination scars, including the pits for the supinator, anconaeus, extensor digitorum communis, and pronator sublimis, in the holotype are consistent with that found in waterfowl. The characters present in the specimen, including morphology of the olecranon fossa, the shape and extent of the flexor process, morphology of the attachment for the anterior articular ligament, and size, are within the variation seen in P. pervetus. It even may be synonymous with Presbyomis. However, the brachial fossa is somewhat deeper than that seen in Presbyomis pervetus, and the face of the anterior articular ligament attachment faces more distally, than anteriorly in Torotix.

Fred

I am curious, too. Especially that Wikipedia claims that Styginetta was a specialized flamingo-like filter feeder and also that it was confirmed to survive the K/T extinction. Knowing that K/T extinction was basically hell on Earth, this seems very strange.
I am assuming Wikipedia is getting Styginetta mixed up with a more inclusive Presbyornithidae? I think there IS evidence of this clade surviving the KT event.

Presbyomis maximus n. sp.

Holotype: UCMP 134932 articulated right coracoid and humerus from V70272.

Referred material: Coracoids: UCMP 170784 from V74024; UCMP 154621 from V74023. Scapula: UW 30364 from V80015.

Horizon: UCMP V70272, Bitter Creek 22 Level 3, Main Body of the Wasatch Formation, Sweetwater County, Wyoming (Graybullian? portion of the Wasatchian NALMA, early Eocene); Turtle Graveyard sav-2 UCMP V74023 and Turtle Graveyard General UCMP V74024, Main Body of the Wasatch Formation, Sweetwater County, Wyoming (Graybullian or Lysitean portion of the Wasatchian NALMA, early Eocene);
McKenna Loc. Y, UW V80015, Indian Meadows Formation, Fremont County, Wyoming (Graybullian portion of the Wasatchian NALMA, early Eocene).

Etymology: The specific epithet refers to this species’ large size, marginally larger than P. isoni.

Diagnosis: Differs from all other presbyomithids through the presence of a supracoracoideus fossa on the coracoid with a distinct boss or tuber on the dorsal edge; the presence of an enlarged tuber on the posterior face of the deltoid crest (absent in P. isoni and other presbyomithids); muscle scar on the posteroventral end of the coracoid absent (present in Styginetta and P. pervetus)', muscle scars absent on the dorsal sternal end of the coracoid (present in P. pervetus); larger in size than all other [resbyomithid material.

Presbyomis pervetus Wetmore, 1926

Additional referred material: UM 102888 from SP026, humeri, coracoids, ulnae, scapulae, carpometacarpi, tibiotarsi, and other material; UM 85671 from SC 121, proximal carpometacarpus; UCMP 154620 from V78141, humerus, coracoid, and a carpometacarpus; UCMP 154618 from V77082, coracoid; UCMP 154619 from V87023, left coracoid; UCMP 179320 from V7088, left coracoid; UCMP 174000-174076, coracoids, 174077 frontals, 174078 and 174079 mandibular rami from V78032.

Horizon: UM SP026, Wasatch Formation, Sweetwater County, Wyoming (Gardnerbuttian subzone of Bridgerian NALMA, early Eocene); UM SC 121 Willwood Formation, Park County, Wyoming, (Wasatchian-0 NALMA, early Eocene); UCMP V78141, Green River Formation, Sweetwater County, Wyoming (Wasatchian NALMA, early Eocene); UCMP V77082 Green River Formation, Lincoln County, Wyoming (Wasatchian NALMA?, early Eocene); UCMP V87023 Wilkins Peak Member of the Green River Formation, Sweetwater County, Wyoming (Wasatchian NALMA, early Eocene); UCMP V7088 Bridger Formation, Uinta County, Wyoming (Bridgerian NALMA, early or middle Eocene); UCMP V78032 Cathedral Bluffs Member of the Wasatch Formation, Sweetwater County, Wyoming (Bridgerian NALMA, early Eocene). The earliest record of this species is earliest Eocene (Wasatchian-0 NALMA). The age of supposed Paleocene Presbyomis pervetus material (Ericson 2000) is not certain, and those sites are likely early Eocene as well, since those fossils were deposited in lake systems related to the Eocene lakes formed in Wyoming. The youngest specimens of P. pervetus are from the early part of the Bridgerian NALMA and may be from the later part of the early Eocene or the early part of the middle Eocene. No material from North America is yet known from definite middle Eocene sediments, if Clyde et al. (2001) have correlated units correctly.

Em ended diagnosis: Quadrate that has a posterior pneumatic fossa that may or may not contain a pneumatic foramen; muscle scar on the ventral sternal end of the coracoid close to lateral edge of coracoid; supracoracoideus fossa on coracoid without tuber on dorsal edge; distal end of the deltoid crest of the humerus without tuber; smaller than P. isoni, P. maximus, Coltonia recurvirostra, and Styginetta lofgreni

Fred

Last edited:
Coltonia recurvirostra Hardy, 1959

Discussion: Ericson (2000) recognized the presbyomithid features in Coltonia and as a result synonymized Coltonia with Presbyomis. He gave no reason for this move other than the recognition of its family level affinity. Since Coltonia is a valid name, I see no reason to place this species in Presbyomis.
At present, the type specimen is the only known specimen of this species. However, an uncataloged articulated wing at Loma Linda University from Colorado (Leggitt et al. 1999) may be attributable to this species. It is larger than P. pervetus and smaller than P. maximus. The maximum length of the ulna in the uncataloged specimen is 117.58 mm, longer than the longest P. pervetus (112.0 mm) and shorter than the holotype of Coltonia (136.5 mm; Ericson 2000)

Fred

Yes, there are taxa in my thesis that have never been published. It is a dissertation, not a peer-reviewed publication. So they shouldn't be nomen nuda since they were never published.

It may be nitpicking, but an abstract of this thesis was apparently published in the journal Dissertation Abstract International, B, year 2002, p. 710.
As Styginetta lofgreni and Presbyornis maximus were cited in this published abstract without being described (see : Dissertation Abstracts International ), they probably do qualify as nomina nuda. ;)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back