• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Rainford mosslands, St. Helens (1 Viewer)

ColinD

United Kingdom
The Rainford mosslands, St. Helens
The Rainford Mosslands is an area of sparsely populated, mainly flat, farmland just to the north of St. Helens, and to the west of the village of Rainford. It is a continuation of the much larger Plex Moss, (which lies inland of Southport) and it shares many of the same species with it's better known neighbour. In St. Helens terms, it’s a very remote area with limited access. The area I will be describing here is roughly bordered by the Rainford by-pass (A570) in the east, the East Lancs (A580) in the south, and a farm road called the Old Coach Road (just west of Blindfoot Lane - B5203) in the west. They more or less form a triangle.

Species
It is an excellent area for many forms of wildlife, but especially birds, which is what I will be concentrating on here. However I must emphasis that even to see all the common species I mention here, probably 3 or 4 visits will be required in each season. You can’t go once and expect to see everything.

Access
There are few roads in the area, but there are plenty of footpaths and farm tracks if you study the map, and these afford excellent views over the mosslands. The gamekeepers in the area are pretty keen, and you will soon incur their wrath if you enter woodland, so don’t go there. However, speaking as one with years of experience of visiting the area, I can assure you that there is no justifiable reason for leaving the footpaths or entering the woodland, because everything can be seen without doing so.

Attachments

• reedsmossmarch.jpg
    reedsmossmarch.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 411
Last edited:
Key sites
There are a number of sites in the area which I visit regularly, and which I will refer to later. These are as follows:

Bottle and Glass / Reed’s Lane – The Bottle and Glass pub is signposted just off the A570. Reed’s Lane is the narrow track adjacent to the pub.

Reed’s moss – The whole area could be described as Reed’s moss, but for the purposes of these reports, Reed’s moss is the very heart of the mosslands, and the area with the most difficult access. This area can be viewed from Blindfoot Lane (B5203), and there are one or two footpaths marked on the map.

Moss Lane – Runs parallel with the A580, and public (vehicle) access ends at Liverpool / St. Helens Rugby union ground, though a farm track continues for walkers.

Old Coach Road – a tarmaced farm track, which runs south to north from the A580. About 5 miles long, this is presumably formally a coaching route into Knowsley Estate. Access is on foot or bicycle.

Dairy Farm Road – a tarmaced farm track, which runs east to west from the A570, and joins the Old Coach Road. If you are heading north on the A570, Dairy Farm Road is 100 yards before the only railway bridge to cross the road. Access is on foot or bicycle.

Attachments

• coachroadwinter.jpg
    coachroadwinter.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
Winter
The area is arguably at its best in winter. From the beginning of October to the end of March, it is virtually impossible to visit any part of the mosslands without seeing or hearing Pink-footed Geese. Up to 5,000 winter in the area, and large flocks are most often seen on the ground around Moss Lane, Reed’s Moss, Old Coach Road, Dairy Farm Road and Reed’s Lane. These flocks are always worth a look for uncommoner species such as White-fronted or Bean Geese, which have both been recorded, but please take care not to disturb them.
Winter is also the best time for birds of prey, with the Old Coach Road and Reed’s Moss being the premier sites, but they can be seen anywhere. Buzzards are everywhere, and a decent walk across the mosslands will usually reveal at least 4 or 5 birds, sometimes as many as 10 or 12. They have really increased in recent years, being rarities 15 years ago. One or two Peregrines have been resident in St. Helens in recent years, and their numbers are increased in winter, and on the mosslands you have as good a chance of seeing one as anywhere. Merlin and Hen Harrier are both scarce but regular winter visitors, with most reports coming from the Old Coach Road, Reed’s Moss and Reed’s Lane. Sparrowhawk and Kestrel are common birds in the area. Other raptors may be seen, and there have been occasional reports of Red Kite in recent years, and these are likely to increase as the species spreads across the country. Ravens bred in St. Helens in 2001, and two or three birds are often on the mosslands in winter.
At this time of year, you are likely to come across largish flocks of finches, buntings and sparrows. Flocks of 50 or more Corn Buntings, Yellowhammers and Tree Sparrows are not unusual, especially around Reed’s Lane and Moss Lane, whilst Chaffinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Linnet flocks may reach 200 or more, and they are often accompanied by a few Brambling. Apart from the latter, all the other finches, buntings and sparrows mentioned breed in the area in good numbers.

Attachments

• pinkfeet.jpg
    pinkfeet.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:
Spring
Skylarks herald the start of spring, usually on the first sunny day in late January. As the year progresses, their song fills the air, and they are still one of the commonest birds in the area. They are swiftly followed by Lapwings, whose evocative displays are sadly no longer seen across many parts of the UK. At least a couple of hundred pairs of Lapwings still breed on the Rainford mosslands, and their calls and display flights, combined with those of the Skylarks, form the backdrop to birding on the mosslands in spring. By March, Oystercatchers have arrived, and several pairs stay to breed, and Woodcock have begun their roding display over woodland across the whole of the area. The other wader to breed on the mosslands is the Snipe, which breeds in small numbers, and their strange drumming display flight can be seen in April and early May, especially on Reed’s Moss.
The daytime flying moth Orange Underwing can be seen flying high in the Silver Birch canopy on sunny days in early spring, and the first butterflies begin to be seen. Spring flowers such as Coltsfoot and later Bluebells add a touch of colour. Brown Hares are a common site across the mosslands, but much more difficult to see are the Red Squirrels which still occur in small numbers along the Old Coach Road.
A recent addition to the spring cacophony is the mewing of the Buzzard, which can now be seen displaying over more than one woodland in the area, with 3 or 4 pairs breeding.
Many migrants pass through the area in spring, and one of the earliest to arrive is the Wheatear at the end of March. Best looked for on recently ploughed fields, they are usually present in single figures. By the end of April, the same fields are usually visited by flocks of up to 30 White Wagtails and 10 Yellow Wagtails and the latter breeds in the area in small numbers. This is one of the best areas in St. Helens for hearing Cuckoos, and they arrive usually in late April, and small flocks of Curlew are seen at this time, often accompanied by one or two Whimbrel.
Rarer migrants in recent years have included Montagu’s Harrier, Hobby and Dotterel. The latter have been recorded twice, but may be more regular, given that the species is almost annual on adjacent Plex Moss, which has almost identical habitat.

Attachments

• reedsmossmarch2.jpg
    reedsmossmarch2.jpg
    258.3 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
Summer
A walk across the mosslands in summer will almost certainly reveal breeding Corn Buntings, Yellowhammers and Tree Sparrows. Corn Buntings are best looked for in Reed’s Lane and Tree Sparrows in Moss Lane, whilst Yellowhammers are fairly common everywhere.
At least four species of owl, breed in the area, Long-eared, Tawny, Barn and Little. Short-eared Owl has also intriguingly been seen in June, but breeding is uncertain. All four breeders are certainly possible in one night if you take a late evening walk along the Old Coach Road in June or July, though only Tawny and Little are (almost) guaranteed. Little Owl is the most widespread and easily seen of the owls, and most farms on the mosslands have a pair, as well as many pairs of Swallows and House Martins.
The whole area is a stronghold for Woodcock. For most of the year, this is a very secretive and difficult too find species, but in summer they will fly right over your head while you have a pint! This is what I call birding! Sit outside at the Bottle and Glass on a warm summers evening, and just as it goes dark, you should see at least one, sometimes up to three Woodcock roding overhead. The roding birds are all males, who fly in a circuit around woodland, making strange grunting and squeaking noises, waiting to be called down by females. Roding can be seen from about March to the end of July, not only at the Bottle and Glass, but also along the Old Coach Road and on Reed’s Moss.
At least 10 pairs of Yellow Wagtails breed on the mosslands, and they can sometimes be seen feeding young at this time of year, and Lapwing chicks are everywhere. Occasionally, you might stumble across a pair of Oystercatchers with chicks, and family parties of Grey Partridge sometimes scurry along the track in front of you. Red-legged Partridge are also in the area, but are introduced by the local farmers for game. The woodlands and hedgerows abound with migrant breeders such as Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Whitethroat and Blackcap.
The Rainford mosslands are not great places for seeing flowers, but there are always things waiting to be found, and in recent years there have been discoveries of small colonies of Bee Orchid and Marsh Helleborine. Moth trapping has taken place at several sites on the mosslands over the past five years, and over 260 species of moth have been recorded, including a few local rarities.

Attachments

• beeorchid2.jpg
    beeorchid2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 310
Autumn
Autumn migration begins as early as late July, when Wheatears begin to be seen again, and flocks of up to 100 Curlew appear, especially around the Old Coach Road. The very end of August and the first week in September often sees the arrival of small flocks of White Wagtails, accompanied by a few Yellow Wagtails.
By September, there is a distinct build up of Buzzards, and a walk across the mosslands can produce counts in double figures, and it can be a good time for seeing Merlin and Hen Harrier, but these are very scarce. By the middle of the month, the first Pink-footed Geese of the winter are seen around the Old Coach Road, and flocks soon build to around 5,000 birds by the first week in October.
By the end of October, the winter thrushes, Redwings and Fieldfares are seeping and cackling all across the mosslands, and flocks of Woodpigeons are counted in thousands, and Stock Doves in hundreds.

Attachments

• coachroadautumn.jpg
    coachroadautumn.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 374
Very good and most informative Colin. Nice to see the old place again. Good to see also that the coach road is still in a bit of a state!

Hi Colin

Really appreciate your efforts in producing an interesting site report. Your patch is as you say, very similar to mine which takes in Lydiate, Altcar Withens and Plex Moss. I might take a trip across as living in Ormskirk your patch is actually nearer than my local patch. I have done a little birding in Bickerstaffe over the years, but only as far as Intake Lane.
Once again thanks for your efforts

Mal

Last edited:
Dear Colin,

Thank you for the profile of your patch. You put a lot of work into producing it.
Very interesting, it not an area I am familiar with so have had the map out and had an explore on paper.

Regards.
Gordon Boreham-Styffe.

Hi Colin, really enjoyed your report, took me back to my days of living in Rainford, I use to go birding around Rainford Moss and Tip and sometimes down to Berringtons Lane. Keep up the good work.

Chris.

colin
just read your pages with great interest, can you tell me is there anywhere local, i live in Liverpool, Aintree, that i can have a chance of seeing kingfishers

revenue55 said:
colin
just read your pages with great interest, can you tell me is there anywhere local, i live in Liverpool, Aintree, that i can have a chance of seeing kingfishers

Kingfishers aren't that uncommon, and I should think you have a chance at any reasonable water body in Liverpool. I know that they have been seen on the docks, but also try the Leeds / Liverpool canal.

In St. Helens, you have a good chance at Carr Mill Dam or on the Sankey Valley, but they're nowhere gaurenteed. Funnily enough, for such a bright bird, they can be difficult to see even when present, and I usually pick them up first on their call, which is single, fairly high whistle.

Colin

The Rainford Mosslands - Winter 2003 / 2004

Just a quick update from the mosslands.

It just goes to show, that even when you think you know an area well, there are always surprises waiting to be found.

Hen Harriers are annual winter visitors to the mosslands, but this year has been exceptional, with at least three seen from the Old Coach Road, including a spectacular male. The male was last seen over Christmas, but females are being seen on almost every visit at present.

Pink-footed Geese are around in their thousands, and have included a Greenland Whitefront, and the crow flock has grown to around 1000 birds, with at least 600 Jackdaws, 200 Rooks and 200 Carrion Crows.

Today I counted a flock of at least 36 Corn Buntings in Moss Lane near Liverpool / St. Helens rugby ground with about 20 Tree Sparrows, and a flock of 40 Yellowhammers is near the Bottle and Glass pub.

However, most pleasing for me has been a mammal. In 2001 we received the first ever record of Red Squirrel in St. Helens, from the Old Coach Road. Since then there have been a handful of other records from all along the Coach Road and adjacent Dairy Farm Road. Speaking to a local farmer over Christmas, he told me that though Greys are commoner, there is a small population of Reds in the area. Well last Friday I finally saw one for myself, less than 10 yards away from me in woodland next to the Coach Road. Even the rarest bird couldn't have given me more pleasure.

What puzzles me though is this, I've been birding regularly along the Coach Road for 5 years and never seen one before. I know people who have been going there for 20 years, who've never mentioned them before. Yet now, suddenly we have a spate of records. I suppose my web site may have provided a focal point for casual walkers / birders to submit reports.

So I don't know if this is a remnant population which has always been there or a new population, but whatever the truth, they're a very welcome addition to St. Helens.

Colin

Hi
Have just joined and it's great to see someone from my area (i'm from St Helens too).
I am just starting to develop a knowledge of birds, so it's good to have some tips on species to look for round here.
I'd heard a rumour there were red squirrels in the area, great to have that confirmed.

Hello Hippywench

welcome to BF, there are lots of birders from all over the UK and the world here.

I believe there will be a BirdFroum bash where you can meet some of the members being held in Lancashire.

I'm a southerner but I'm sure St Helen's is in Lancashire (apologies if it isn't!!)

Hippywench said:
Hi
Have just joined and it's great to see someone from my area (i'm from St Helens too).
I am just starting to develop a knowledge of birds, so it's good to have some tips on species to look for round here.
I'd heard a rumour there were red squirrels in the area, great to have that confirmed.

Hi Hippywench,
Welcome to Bird Forum. There are some outstanding sites locally. I think many people would be surprised at the quality and variety of birdlife around St. Helens.

Check out my web site if you haven't already done so (url below), which gives you some ideas of where to watch as well as news of recent sightings in St. Helens,

Colin

:hippy:
Nice to read your replies

Yes i did look at the local site, right after leaving here.
I may well check out the sites next week, I'll be all the better for leaving the dogs behind as well!

Hello Colin,
Congratulations on your very informative report. It sounds like a great birding area.
I have a couple of questions.
Firstly, is the area privately owned; you mention gamekeepers?
Is the property used for shooting game species?
And lastly, the more important one, I'd like to know exactly what is meant by "Rainforest Mossland"? I am in Australia and here we have tropical rainforest with mosses and lichens hanging from the trees (usually referred to as cloud forest and what we refer to as peat moss bogs on the mountains in southern Aust. I presume you are referring to masses of ground moss, yet there are Brussel Sprouts and cabbage growing.
Glad to hear about the red squirrel. A friend in Newcastle mentioned recently that the Reds are doing quite well in his area. Maybe they have found a way of surviving alongside the grey, or maybe the grey is declining ( you can always live in hope!)
I'm off to look at your website now. Thanks again for an interesting report.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back