• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History of Warwickshire: Fauna & Flora (2 Viewers)

An incredible day at Pooley Country Park today. Butterfly counts below.

Common blue 34
Small white 14
Gv white 4
Brimstone 1
Peacock 14
Comma 2
Meadow brown 33
red admiral 1
Gatekeeper 12
Large white 2
Small tortoise-shell 2
Purple hairstreak 3

The common blues are just everywhere at the top of the car park, it is certainly the most I have ever seen in one day. These counts don't even include the field to the SE of the M42.

There was also a fantastic number of dragonflies about, with 8 seen in one woodland clearing. But as brown hawker is the only one I can ID on the wing for definite, I am guessing the others were common hawker and an emperor.

Adam

Hartshill Moorwood Garden moth trapping

18/7/13 NFG Coronet 2 (pic 1) which is a good record for North Warks as they are usually caught in South Warks also July Highflyer 5 (pic 2), Small Angle-shades, Burnished Brass, Lychnis, White Satin Moth, Black Neck, of note also 4 Leopard moth.
County Moth recorders are busy this time of year so I have a delay now on some I.D's.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 008#057.jpg
    008#057.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 032#020.jpg
    032#020.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 33
Dragonfly News

I received an excited call yesterday evening, Tue 6 Aug, from Mike Inskip reporting a male Lesser Emperor Dragonfly at Morton Bagot. This was particularly remarkable for in July 2011 Mike made the First County Record for the species less than 2miles from this sighting.

Today Kay and I joined Mike for a revisit to the site and were treated to many go views of the insect patrolling along the edge of the pool. It continued its patrolling for about half-an-hour. It is intersting that when it had left an Emperor took over its space. It is said that Emperors will harass Lesser Emperors though we saw no interaction between them.

Peter Reeve - Coordinator Warwickshire Dragonfly Group.

Web site: http://www.warwickshire-dragonflies.org.uk

Pooley cp

An incredible day at Pooley Country Park today. Butterfly counts below.

Common blue 34
Small white 14
Gv white 4
Brimstone 1
Peacock 14
Comma 2
Meadow brown 33
red admiral 1
Gatekeeper 12
Large white 2
Small tortoise-shell 2
Purple hairstreak 3

The common blues are just everywhere at the top of the car park, it is certainly the most I have ever seen in one day. These counts don't even include the field to the SE of the M42.

There was also a fantastic number of dragonflies about, with 8 seen in one woodland clearing. But as brown hawker is the only one I can ID on the wing for definite, I am guessing the others were common hawker and an emperor.

Adam

Have you seen any Brown Argus Adam at Pooley, they have been recorderd there before.

Regards, John

Chalkhill Blue

Worth keeping a look out for Chalkhill Blue butterflies, which are classed as extinct in Warks but have been wandering from colonies south of us in recent days, with two sightings in Worcs and six in Leics being their firsts for decades.
Matt

1/8/13 New moth species again for the Garden, Magpie moth pic 1, V-pug pic 2 and Antler moth.
Hearald pic 3 was another species in the trap.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 008#059.jpg
    008#059.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 006#045.jpg
    006#045.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 63
  • 034#023.jpg
    034#023.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 69
Common Hawker

A male Common Hawker was seen close to the Warwickshire County Boundary yesterday at Middleton lakes. Even the Warwickshire dragonfly Recorder Peter Reeve has never seen Common Hawker in Warwickshire.

Regards, John

The Warwickshire Butterfly Recorder has had 12 reports of Clouded Yellow in Warkwickshire so far this year.

I can add one, possibly two, to that. We had one alight in our garden briefly (for about 10 seconds - just long enough to confirm the ID) last week. I also saw what I'm pretty sure was a Clouded Yellow while driving a couple of days before at Allesley.

Clouded Yellow

I can add one, possibly two, to that. We had one alight in our garden briefly (for about 10 seconds - just long enough to confirm the ID) last week. I also saw what I'm pretty sure was a Clouded Yellow while driving a couple of days before at Allesley.

Hi Steven, Have you put your record into the County Recorder or entered the record on Warwickshire Butterfly Conservation site..

Regards, John

19/8/13 New for garden Canary-shouldered Thorn pic 1, Phoenix also in trap pic 2 Treble-bar pic 3 Square-spot Rustic and pic 4 Flounced Rustic.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 036#014.jpg
    036#014.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 025#020.jpg
    025#020.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 29
  • 030#005.jpg
    030#005.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 034#024.jpg
    034#024.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 39

23/9/13 trapping still plenty of moths about with variety and 3 new for Garden pic 1 Brown-spot Pinion pic 2 Brindled Green pic 3 Beaded Chestnut.

Regards, John

Attachments

• 056#012.jpg
    056#012.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 068#002.jpg
    068#002.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 055#009.jpg
    055#009.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

7/10/13 Still good moth numbers about for this time of year Monday evening trapping min temp 13.8 c

November moth 1
Chestnut 1
Black Rustic 1
Common Marbled Carpet 1
Blair's Shoulder-knot 6
Lunar Underwng 1
Large Yellow Underwing 4
Lesser Yellow Underwing 1
Angleshades 1
Light Brown Apple moth 12
Firethorn leaf minor 1
Nettle-tap 1

Regards, John
__._,_.___

17/10/13 Warm night Thursday evening so I put the trap out but was not expecting much, however

Pic 1 NFG Red-green carpet 2, pic 2 NFG Streak 1 pic 3 Light Brown Apple moth 15 of these Australian colonizers also November moth 1, Juniper carpet 3, pale mottled Willow 1

Regards, John

Attachments

• 006#048.jpg
    006#048.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 67
  • 017#007.jpg
    017#007.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 018#031.jpg
    018#031.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 33
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back