• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Natural History Of Staffordshire: Fauna and Flora (2 Viewers)

Moth records for 2013

Getting towards the end of the mothing year now - though I did have 3 Red-green Carpets and a Chestnut last night plus a Mottled Umber on a tree trunk!

If any of you have any records for the year please do send them to me at [email protected]

Details of how to submit are on my Staffs Moths and Butterfly atlas http://tinyurl.com/puvypea

FYI I am updating the Smaller Moths of Staffordshire which will be available as a PDF so any micro data will be especially useful.

Thanks

Dave Emley

Mayfly

This cracking Mayfly landed on my scope this afternoon. Quite a large hatching of them at Uttoxeter Quarry today.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    123.1 KB · Views: 14
Good numbers of Orangetip, Green-veined White and Brimstone at Coombes Valley, along with Argent and Sable today.

I was part of a team that did surveys for A+S for 3 years at Coombes, where only one of us saw one...once. I've still never seen one of the little beauties. Now there are loads of people seeing them without too much effort. The recent photo on the Coombes blog was taken after a volunteer went "What's that moth?" I'm just a little jealous if I'm honest.

Quite glad the woodland ride work we did has seen the population grow to the point where visitors can just walk up and see them though. Conservation work that actually works. Gotta love it :t:

Adam

It was the first time I'd been there Adam. Cracking place. There was just one A+S, in the same area as the dot on the map on the website, but it was embarrassingly 'easy'. Walked up to the area, looked at the map to make sure we were in the right spot and... there it was, flying around. :t:

Swynnerton Army Base Butterly Survey

An excellent day's survey with W. Mids Butterfly Conservation of the army base (no public access unfortunately) produced 40+ grizzled skippers in perhaps 1/5 of suitable habitat surveyed. This must make it a site of national importance - it has large areas of wildflower habitat never touched by herbicides / insecticides. Also seen were 3-4 Brown Argus, Dingy Skippers, Common Blue, Small Heath, Marsh Pug, Small Copper, Latticed Heath, Burnet Companion, Orange Tip, Mint Moth, Peacock, Yellow Shell, Brown Silver-lines, Buff Tip.

Does anyone know what the shield bug is?

Attachments

• P1040392.jpg
    P1040392.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 4
  • P1040356.jpg
    P1040356.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 5
  • P1040374.jpg
    P1040374.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 6
  • P1040355.jpg
    P1040355.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 5
The greater butterfly and common spotted orchids are almost flowering at Coombes Valley. Give it a week or two and they'll be ready.

The top meadow is looking stunning at the moment though, as it is a sea of pignut.

The big meadow (the last one you walk across on your way back to the car park), is full of bistort; which smells lovely...honest ;)

It's a good time to get to grips with plants on site, I managed roughly 50 species with very little time and effort, and ignoring grasses.

Keep an eye out for chimney sweeper moths, which are currently present in all the meadows on site.

Adam

I should have mentioned the Jaapiella vacciniorum galls on Bilberry at Coombes Valley. They were on most of the upper leaves of plants growing alongside an old wall as you climb up from the river ( where they are restoring meadowland? ).

My moth skills are a bit poor these days but I'm still pretty sure on the first two - Angle Shades and Brimstone Moth? No idea on the second two - a carpet or large pug? and some kind of micro? - any suggestions would be appreciated...:t:

Attachments

• IMG_0993.JPG
    IMG_0993.JPG
    201.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0997.JPG
    IMG_0997.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1000.JPG
    IMG_1000.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1004.JPG
    IMG_1004.JPG
    132.2 KB · Views: 7
A nice afternoon stroll in the sunshine around Seven Springs, Cannock Chase this afternoon not only produced a point-blank singing Wood Warbler and a couple of Spotted Flys but also a good showing of mammals...after seeing a Badger feeding in the undergrowth in broad daylight (my first live one for many years) I saw this tiny vole? feeding on the edge of the path - any idea on the ID of what it is? Then on the drive back over the Chase Road a nice group of Deer (Fallow?) by the side of the road including this very dark individual.

EDIT: I'm told on the ID forum that it's either a very young Wood or Yellow-necked Mouse - anybody know if both are present on the Chase?

Attachments

• IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1024.JPG
    IMG_1024.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
A nice afternoon stroll in the sunshine around Seven Springs, Cannock Chase this afternoon not only produced a point-blank singing Wood Warbler and a couple of Spotted Flys but also a good showing of mammals...after seeing a Badger feeding in the undergrowth in broad daylight (my first live one for many years) I saw this tiny vole? feeding on the edge of the path - any idea on the ID of what it is? Then on the drive back over the Chase Road a nice group of Deer (Fallow?) by the side of the road including this very dark individual.

EDIT: I'm told on the ID forum that it's either a very young Wood or Yellow-necked Mouse - anybody know if both are present on the Chase?

Yellow necked mouse would be a good record http://www.staffs-ecology.org.uk/ht...S0000080209&atlasid=M&maplevel=2&mapyear=1995

Wood mouse much more common http://www.staffs-ecology.org.uk/ht...S0000080210&atlasid=M&maplevel=2&mapyear=1995

No idea how to separate the two though; better left to people more knowledgeable than me no doubt.

But they are indeed fallow deer. The spots visible on the neck is the give away. But if seen fleeing, I seem to recall the pattern of the tail is also an ID feature for roe/fallow deer, with fallow having black and white looking like (l) roe having just white.

Adam

Yellow necked mouse would be a good record http://www.staffs-ecology.org.uk/ht...S0000080209&atlasid=M&maplevel=2&mapyear=1995

Wood mouse much more common http://www.staffs-ecology.org.uk/ht...S0000080210&atlasid=M&maplevel=2&mapyear=1995

No idea how to separate the two though; better left to people more knowledgeable than me no doubt.

But they are indeed fallow deer. The spots visible on the neck is the give away. But if seen fleeing, I seem to recall the pattern of the tail is also an ID feature for roe/fallow deer, with fallow having black and white looking like (l) roe having just white.

Adam

The Fallow Deer tail pattern is diagnostic. The spots do not separate from Sika, though I don't know where the nearest population of the latter is.

The mouse photo is from the wrong angle and of a too young individual to identify to species.

John

The Fallow Deer tail pattern is diagnostic. The spots do not separate from Sika, though I don't know where the nearest population of the latter is.

The mouse photo is from the wrong angle and of a too young individual to identify to species.

John

Never thought of sika as a confusion species. I always thought they were much bigger than fallow, but it appears not. Oh well, learn something new everyday :t:

Adam

Over on the old Park Hall golf cause a possible common hawker flew past, never seen so many chimney sweep moths, the most marsh orchids I have seen over there on show this morning. Stu

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back