• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Jay in Grampian (1 Viewer)

Ian Bell

Supporter
Scotland
One bird that I always have a problem adding to my year list is the Jay.I know they are not abundant in North East Scotland but does anyone know of reliable places to see them in Grampian ? Thanks in anticipation.

Ben Nevis said:
One bird that I always have a problem adding to my year list is the Jay.I know they are not abundant in North East Scotland but does anyone know of reliable places to see them in Grampian ? Thanks in anticipation.

Ben Nevis,

the best place to see them is in upper-Donside and Deeside, probably the later. Drive the roads around Aboyne/Glen Tanar/Dinnet and you should see one or two. Dinnet Oakwood is a good place for them, and you have a good chance of hearing them here if you're wandering arond. Park at the bridge over the Dee at Dinnet and enter the wood through the gate directly opposite the bridge. Strathdon in Donside is one of the better spots in that valley. Good luck.

Fair Islander said:
Drive the roads around Aboyne/Glen Tanar/Dinnet and you should see one or two. QUOTE]

As an inhabitant of those parts I can second that. Jays are reasonably plentiful in all mid-deeside (Banchory- Ballater) woods, including commercial conifer plantations. It is just a question of going out for a walk and listening out. I have to say that I hear Jays far more often than I see them but its usually possible to get a glimpse if you follow the noise! The time of year can make a difference too. In the autumn they can be surprisingly obvious flying over open ground between woods if you are familiar with their flight action.

You could try Potarch woods (there is a waymarked circular path starting south of the inn and carpark.) or Balfour wood near Aboyne. These are both good places.

Ben Nevis said:

When we lived in Aberdeenshire they could almost invariably be seen in the grounds of Crathes Castle on Deeside, and also in the grounds of Drum Castle. We only occasionally saw them in our garden in Baillieswells.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back