• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The hunter hunted ... but who is killing Scotland's birds of prey? (2 Viewers)

griffin said:
I guess "He" could make one hell of a keeper but "He" would rather have his balls nailed to a plank of wood than enter that "profession". No doubt you'll offer to do it.

PS Re-dishing it out and not taking it - bring it on, I'm a BIG BOY !!!!

PPS I learned 'joindey up'ed' writing at school so would have no trouble reading lowercase if you can type it. BUT MAYBE YOU FEEL YOU HAVE TO SHOUT YOUR OPINIONS.
HI GRIFFIN MY FRIEND , JUST TO LET YOU KNOW , ONE LARGE HAMMER READY --- TWO LARGE BLUNT RUSTY NAILS READY , :'D :'D :'D :'

derekjake said:
HI GRIFFIN MY FRIEND , JUST TO LET YOU KNOW , ONE LARGE HAMMER READY --- TWO LARGE BLUNT RUSTY NAILS READY , :'D :'D :'D :'
As well as one crowbar to rip out your caps lock key.

Although the MBTA was enacted into law many raptors are still being shot. It has diminished in the last 30 years. That I attribute to not only changing the laws but changing the way people view BoP. Education and rehab has helped out also. Here it seems they are shot for simply being there. An uneducated gun hunter with nothing else to shoot. I guess I was naieve to think it was only a problem here. Maybe things there will change and there numbers might rebound.
Yarak

derekjake said:

Hiya DJ

You certainly ain't no "friend" of mine though I imagine that you do have plently of 'imaginary' ones. :'D

Also, you'll have to catch me first and I can run where your Landrover can't drive :'D

PS Lower case lettering is the preferred and accepted writing style unless you are illiterate or backward.

Or,

Maybe your eyesight is bad.............. it apparently is with some other keepers who seem to mistake raptors with [add quarry species].

Yarak said:
An uneducated gun hunter with nothing else to shoot.

I don't think the problem is with uneducated "hunters". Whilst I am sure ( I know ) there are "bad" ones most are after legit. quarry species. The problem is that certain individuals who are responsible of managing the countryside for sporting activities are illegally 'controlling' raptors.

I am sure if someone shot a Peregrine on a grouse drive these days it would be seen as very bad form and they would be sent packing and not invited back. Maybe I am naive ? I hope not. Whether it would be reported.......

Managed shooting conducted in a responsible manner does not necessarily have to conflict with conservation, and in some cases may improve certain situations. The problem is that it is all too often mis-managed.

nirofo said:
Hi derekjake

Please switch to lower case letters unless you are trying to emphasise a point, 'oh' you are trying to emphasise a point?

I take it your 18 miles in the highlands are running and not walking, if it's walking then what's so hard about that? I used to do a 21 mile round trip just to get to one Golden Eagle nest site over some of the roughest country you could imagine, you couldn't do this one running anyway. There was another site that we had to walk 9 miles on a gated and locked track, (could run that I suppose, but what's the point), then another 6 miles up the hill, (couldn't run that), then the same back again.

I wish I could do it now!!

nirofo.

I just hope to gawd there is someone who can do it nirofo, and continue the wonderful work you did.

What is the ultimate reason for persecution of our golden eagles (to name but one species)?

(1) Ignorance of landowners/farmers to the predation statistics of eagles?

(2) Historic practice passed down through generations?

(3) Intentional breach of the law?

(4) "Accidental" as not the species intended?

I would suggest that if it is either of the first two then education is the answer. It's the classic scenario that if you're told something long enough, you'll believe it.

Perhaps the landowners/farmers could themselves be invited or compelled to take part in the research or to be provided with the training or info that clearly explains the rates of predation on their stock. If the landowners/farmers have this research come from a trustworthy source then they may be more inclined to believe it as it does seem at the moment that there are some who just don't agree with the current research carried out in the main by the conservationists.

If it is either of the last two then punishment is the only answer. In my view, a punishment is intended to chastise and deter. In that way, I would make the punishment more akin to the removal of driving licence for speeding. A punishment that directly affects the livelihood is surely a greater deterrent to others.

It is very important that the debate is not too adversarial however. We mustn't tar all landowners/farmers with the same brush and must take every caution to maintain civility. As Mike Tomkies remarks in his book, there are some in that sector taking active roles in conservation. Rewarding those that do may encourage more to follow suit. Mull certainly has areas of farmed land on which farmers are incentivised (£) to protect the species. I don't think it unreasonable to do the same in problem areas. After all, I would be willing to pay to this on the assumption that it could be the start of a change in attitude. I reckon the RSPB would find its members happy to see funds put to this. I don't think this is something that the state should necessarily pay for but that those pioneering conservation may be the ones who take the lead.

I am disappointed that it takes some serious cases of persecution for the RSPB to become financially involved, and then that is only as a reward. The public "execution" of the offender if discovered will not go very far in reconciling the two sides of the argument. I would rather the money went to proactive work with landowners/farmers.

Any views?

griffin said:
Well I am glad you are happy to be thought of as a fool - certainly more people than only me think so ! The offer is open, bet I can run you into the ground for all your big talk.

PS the caps lock is on the left of the keyboard incase you didn't know.

Hi Ya Griffin...............

Are you a fell runner by any chance or just fit.

I knew some fell runners who could run a 10 mile race over the fells faster than most of us could run a 10 mile road race.

Certainly inside 60 minutes.................

I never got round to finding out how the fell run courses some which are 15 miles & more where measured.................

& how accurate they were ...............sorry i know this has nothing to do with this thread.

Has been interesting to know how many people travel far & wide to watch eagles etc...................

Dead eagles reward increased

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From The SCOTSMAN, 08 September 2006

A REWARD offered to help catch the culprits who poisoned two golden eagles has been increased to more than £10,000, after two anonymous donors backed the appeal.

The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds last month offered £2,000 for information about the deliberate poisoning of the rare birds of prey, in two separate incidents in the Cairngorms National Park.

Now a businessman has offered an additional £8,000 and another donor will cover the original £2,000.

The incidents happened on 13 May near Ballater and on 10 June at the Glenfeshie estate.

For background information on the above readers may wish to study the following article which appeared in SCOTLAND on SUNDAY on 27 August 2006.

Tougher laws failing to stop bird slaughter

JEREMY WATSON ( [email protected])

TOUGH new wildlife crime laws aimed at protecting Scotland's iconic birds of prey are failing, amid a rise in the number of cases of poisoning.

Figures compiled by the Royal Society for the Protection of Birds show that there were 44 confirmed and suspected cases of bird poisoning in 2005, with most of the deaths on or around upland grouse shooting estates.

But the figure this year is already at least 50, with more than a third of 2006 still remaining. That is apart from another 41 confirmed and suspected cases of shooting and trapping incidents in 2005.

Among the species hit are golden eagles, red kites, buzzards and hen harriers. The discovery of two golden eagle carcasses on Highland estates last month led to the RSPB offering a cash reward for information for the first time in its history.

Of the 44 poisoning cases, 19 were confirmed to be caused by carbofuran and alphachloralose - two illegal pesticides.

But what concerns the wildlife charity is that the courts do not appear to be handing out the tougher sentences to offenders signalled by stronger legislation passed by the Scottish Parliament in 2003 and 2004.

The RSPB now wants the Scottish Executive to improve the training of sheriffs and other court staff in applying environmental law, and the appointment of more "environmental prosecutors" within the procurator fiscal service.

An RSPB review of bird of prey persecution in 2005, to be published this week, follows the passing of the Criminal Justice Act 2003, which raised maximum fines for wildlife offences to £5,000 and introduced imprisonment as an option for sheriffs for the first time. It also comes after the Nature Conservation Act 2004 made possession of certain pesticides illegal.

The review found that although bird of prey persecution had generally been in long-term decline, this was "now slowing, or may have ceased".

"For some species, and in some habitats, there no evidence of a decline in persecution," it adds. "Persecution continues at wholly unacceptable levels and is still a significant threat to some species.

"Nineteenth century attitudes and practices are still firmly entrenched among a significant proportion of Scotland's 21st century land managers."

The society says poisoning is the greatest threat to birds of prey, as contaminated baits can continue to be lethal over a matter of weeks and kill multiple victims with little effort from the poisoner.

The pesticide carbofuran was the dominant poison, and a ban on its use appears to have had no effect on its availability.

Most poisoning incidents were in the east and south of Scotland, in areas corresponding to the distribution of grouse moors and land used for shooting pheasants and partridges.

David Dick, the RSPB's principal investigator in Scotland, said the figures were almost certainly an underestimate, because of the secrecy involved in criminal activity of this type and the remote nature of the terrain in which it takes place.

"The main areas where poisoning incidents have come to light are around the upland shooting estates," he said.

"Gamekeepers will say these are the actions of a few rotten apples in the barrel, but the geographical spread shows this not to be the case. The extent to which it is going on is deeply disappointing - especially as the new legislation was meant to send the message that wildlife crimes of this type were unacceptable.

"There is a belief that killing raptors will help you get more grouse on the ground. But there has been a decline of grouse over the last century caused by many factors, and the role of raptors is exaggerated. Parliament has decreed that killing raptors is a criminal offence, and so we don't think anyone should be allowed to kill them when they belong to all of us."

But Dick said that recent cases highlighted the fact that courts were only handing out "paltry fines" for wildlife offences.

Two Borders gamekeepers were fined only £100 each in May - and a Western Isles crofter just £50 last month - for possession of carbofuran. This contrasted with previous cases in which gamekeepers had been fined up to £1,000 for similar offences.

"The overall message that was meant to be sent out by the new legislation was that the Scottish people, through their parliament, considered these to be serious crimes that would be dealt with seriously. This is not yet happening," Dick said.

"There has been a lot of public relations recently about the plight of the poor old gamekeeper and this seems to be having an effect. The training of court staff in the background and seriousness of these offences needs to be improved."

Northern and Grampian police and the RSPB, which has offered the £1,000 reward for information, are jointly investigating golden eagle poisonings on the Glenfeshie Estate in the Cairngorms on June 10, and on the Dinnet and Kinnord Estate near Ballater on May 13.

Stuart Housden, director of RSPB Scotland, said: "Golden eagles are magnificent icons of the Scottish uplands, yet some in our country selfishly persecute these birds through the use of poisoned baits or other means. In three months, two dead eagles have been found - killed illegally."

The Scottish Gamekeepers' Association accepted wildlife crime did occur, but suggested a different way of tackling the problem than through the courts. Alex Hogg, the SGA chairman, said: "If Scottish Natural Heritage [the government's countryside agency] and the Executive would accept a derogation for the live-trapping of raptors then wildlife crime of this type would disappear overnight. The birds would be caught live and moved to areas where they wouldn't have such an impact.

"Wildlife crime does go on but a lot of it is down to frustration that livelihoods may be affected. Some of the fines may not be very high, but do we really want to jail gamekeepers, the vast majority of whom are responsible, law-abiding citizens?"

ON A WING AND A PRAYER

GOLDEN EAGLES
Severe persecution reduced their numbers to just 100 pairs in 1870 but the population has recovered to 420 pairs, mostly in the Highlands. However, there are substantial areas of suitable habitat inexplicably unoccupied by breeding birds. One study in the North-east found up to 75% of breeding attempts on grouse moors failed because of persecution. One confirmed poisoning in 2005.

HEN HARRIERS
Severe persecution restricted this bird to Orkney and the Western Isles at the end of the 19th century and a slow recovery on the mainland has now reached stagnation. The RSPB says persecution on grouse moors is holding the number of breeding birds well below estimated natural levels.

RED KITES
Extinct in the UK by the end of the 19th century because of sustained persecution. Currently being reintroduced in restricted locations but their recovery has been marred by persecution as their feeding habits make them particularly susceptible to poisoning. Of 248 tagged in Scotland between 1989 and 1998, a third are believed to have been poisoned. Two were found poisoned in Scotland in 2005. One study has shown that birds released in England are three times more successful at breeding than birds released in Scotland.

BUZZARDS
Buzzards remain the most widely-killed species of raptor. Fourteen were confirmed poisoned in 2005 and a further four were shot or died in traps.

Anonymous donors increase poisoned eagle reward totals to £10,000

RSPB Web Site:

Anonymous donors increase poisoned eagle reward totals to £10,000

Outraged bird lovers have flooded the RSPB with messages of support since the charity offered rewards for information leading to the prosecution of those responsible for poisoning two protected golden eagles.

Now, in a move that reflects the degree of deep concern at these crimes, two anonymous donors have pledged a huge cash boost to the reward pot in a bid to secure a successful conviction of the perpetrators.

Northern Constabulary is currently carrying out inquiries into the poisoning of one of the birds of prey found at the Glenfeshie Estate in the Cairngorms on 10 June, and Grampian Police is also carrying out an inquiry following a similar death of an eagle found at Dinnet and Kinnord Estate near Ballater on 13 May.

After hearing that RSPB Scotland was offering up to £1,000 for each of the offences, both of which occurred within the boundaries of the Cairngorms National Park, a businessman contacted the charity and offered an additional £8,000 to the rewards. Another donor said that he would cover the charity's reward costs and pay the £2,000 already offered by RSPB Scotland.

'It is my hope that this donation will serve as a reminder how abhorrent the vast majority of right-thinking people view this activity, and help to stamp it out altogether'It means that up to a total of £5,000 is now available for information on each separate incident that leads to a successful prosecution.

Laboratory results have confirmed that both the eagles were poisoned with a pesticide called carbofuran. Possession of this substance is illegal and in itself a crime in Scotland.

The donor that offered a further £8,000, who wishes to remain anonymous, but told RSPB Scotland, 'I simply cannot believe that anyone would wish to kill such a magnificent and awe-inspiring creature as a golden eagle.

'It is a sad and shameful state of affairs that some people judge it acceptable to carry out this practice in our society today. It is my hope that this donation will serve as a reminder how abhorrent the vast majority of right-thinking people view this activity, and help to stamp it out altogether.'

Duncan Orr Ewing, the head of species and land management for RSPB Scotland said, 'The fact that two people, both of whom were previously unknown to the RSPB and are not members, have been motivated to approach us and offer £10,000 to help the appeal to catch these criminals is indicative of the public outrage at these crimes. We are grateful for their support and hope it leads to convictions in these deplorable cases.'

Police are encouraging members of the public who find a dead bird or a carcass, which they suspect may have been left there as poisonous baits, not to touch anything and report their finding to the police immediately. Officers further advise the public to avoid touching the area as potential evidence may be destroyed. Branches or grass and turf should be thrown over the bait to prevent it being seen and consumed by animals and birds.

Anyone with any information about either crime is asked to contact Northern Constabulary on 01463 715555, Grampian Police on 0845 600 5700. Alternatively, contact Crimestoppers 24-7 anonymously on 0800 555 111 or The Campaign Against Illegal Poisoning, tel: 0800 321 600.
Source: RSPB Public Relations department
8 September 2006

It seems to me it would be very lucrative for the keepers involved to shop themselves and claim the reward, the paltry fines they are liable to receive from the courts would still leave them a healthy profit and for a bonus they've also got rid of the Eagles!! Doesn't make sense does it ?

nirofo.

The poisoning of eagles is a great concern, there is an article about the eagles in Scotland in this months birdwatching magazine.

nirofo said:
Here's a few photo's of dead things found on keepered estates and farmed land. I have others but these will do for now!

nirofo.

There are few things more disgusting and abhorrent in animal control than a gamekeepers gibbet. I haven't seen one for years in the Bristol area although I'm sure they still exist. It seems a strange concept to me - kill all grouse / pheasant / partridge et al predators so these very protected birds can be raised - for what - to be shot by so called sportsmen. I know it's all about money but I guess that makes it all the more sickening !!

Kato

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back