• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The hunter hunted ... but who is killing Scotland's birds of prey? (1 Viewer)

Chris Monk

:storm: The hunter hunted ... but who is killing Scotland's birds of prey?

Wildlife groups blame gamekeepers - who in turn hint at 'mischief makers'

Kirsty Scott
Monday August 28, 2006
The Guardian

On the high slopes of a Perthshire glen, Dave Dick slows his car to point out the distinctive mottled patchwork of managed grouse moor, the tufts of heather burned and teased into differing lengths to suit both adult and juvenile birds.

"A pole trap, poisoned bait, a pigeon tied to a post ..." Mr Dick, the RSPB's senior investigations officer in Scotland, reels off a list of abuses he has dealt with in this one glen alone over the years: efforts aimed at killing raptors, among them the golden eagle, Scotland's iconic bird of prey.

"If we were in Berwickshire or Aberdeenshire I would be saying the same," he says. "It is widespread and it's a scandal."

Further on, the slopes of a second glen steepen into giddy inclines crested with grey rock. Four pairs of golden eagles live in this area, but it is late afternoon and warm and they are not inclined to soar out in a wide circling sweep for a photo-opportunity. The birds are thriving here. "No grouse moors," says Mr Dick bluntly.

In June, he hiked some eight miles (12km) in the Cairngorms to retrieve the body of a golden eagle that had been killed with the illegal poison carbofuran. It was one of two found dead within a few weeks, a development which prompted the RSPB to offer a reward for the first time in its 102-year history for the arrest and conviction of those responsible. It says such a measure was necessary. Despite toughened legislation against wildlife crime, this year the number of confirmed poisoning incidents has soared, already exceeding last year's total.

Figures compiled by the Scottish Agricultural Science Agency (Sasa) show that there have been 28 cases of confirmed pesticide abuse in Scotland this year so far, compared with 19 cases in all of 2005, with some of the cases involving several birds or other creatures at a time. The dead include buzzards, red kite, a tawny owl, the two golden eagles and ravens. A number of animals, including a dog and cat, were also affected. More than 20 poisoned baits were also found.

"It's clear there are a number of people out there who are prepared to go to all sorts of lengths to remove birds of prey," said Ken Hunter, Sasa's head of chemistry.

Separate figures from the RSPB show that last year there were 77 reports of persecution of raptors, other than poisoning. Twenty of these were confirmed, another 21 were classed as probable and 26 were considered possible.

Agencies such as the RSPB and the Scottish Raptor Study Groups lay the blame squarely at the door of gamekeepers and landowners, too many of whom, they say, allow the abuses to continue in the mistaken belief that raptors are the chief culprit in the decline of the grouse.

"It is primarily gamekeepers. Some shepherds, but primarily gamekeepers. But gamekeepers are doing it with the tacit permission of landowners," said Logan Steele of the Scottish Raptor Study Groups. "The public are becoming more and more concerned about it. Green tourism has really taken off in Scotland. We stand to get ourselves a bad name as the bad man in Europe because we have this terrible poisoning record."

There are 440 pairs of golden eagles in Scotland, a population he says is being kept static by persecution. "The golden eagle population in Scotland is, at best, treading water and a lot of birds poisoned are not being replaced easily because the available pool of young birds isn't as great as it was."

The Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2003 and the Nature Conservation (Scotland) Act 2004 did improve the scope for effective wildlife crime policing, but, say campaigners, most recent prosecutions have resulted in moderate fines, if those responsible are caught at all. "Until we see some sort of penalty passed that makes the eyes water I don't think it will be taken seriously," says Mr Steele.

Bert Burnett has been a gamekeeper for 40 years and is a committee member of the Scottish Gamekeepers' Association. It's far too convenient, he says, to blame the profession. He doubts the claims that persecution is endemic and its impact as devastating as it is sometimes painted. "The death of the eagles could be anybody. It does not necessarily have to be a gamekeeper," he said.

"As far as the continued persecution, we would say it has reduced drastically and the use of poison by the gamekeeper has definitely reduced drastically. There are more people involved in finding these carcasses ... You are finding maybe more where there is actually less.

"We find it very strange that most of these things are found near a track ... There are gamekeepers out there who need their arse kicked but there's something else going on here. I think there are mischief makers out there, whether it's anti-shooting or what. We had animal rights people setting gin traps."

The association, he says, condemns the illegal killing of raptors, a view echoed by the landowners' body the Scottish Rural Property and Business Association, whose chairman, Keith Arbuthnott, said: "We cannot condone the illegal persecution of any species, golden eagles or otherwise, and as an organisation continue to work closely with other agencies and interests to put an end to these deplorable incidents."

But Mr Burnett said many gamekeepers were frustrated by the unwillingness of the Scottish executive to allow them licences to deal with birds such as ravens and buzzards. Figures from the Game Conservancy Trust, he said, show that raptors can take up to 40% of winter grouse stock.

"We have offered [the Scottish executive] solutions and they are refusing. So it's not surprising that on occasion someone just says, oh to hell with this ... It could be anybody, and they say to hell with this and take the law into their own hands ... The raptor situation is getting worse. People could go back to doing stupid things."

Poisoning cases

Poisoning incidents in 2006 include:

February Borders: Four buzzards found poisoned by carbofuran

March Highlands: Dead red kite and raven found near apparent poisoned rabbit bait

April Tayside: Buzzard and tawny owl poisoned with chloralose found by police

May Grampian: Golden eagle found poisoned by carbofuran

June Highlands: Dead female golden eagle found poisoned with carbofuran

Chris Monk said:
:
"We find it very strange that most of these things are found near a track ... There are gamekeepers out there who need their arse kicked but there's something else going on here. I think there are mischief makers out there, whether it's anti-shooting or what. We had animal rights people setting gin traps."

The reason that most of these things are found near a track is because that is where people are most likely to be walking and therefore stumble across such a thing. Depressingly, that suggests that there must be a large number of other poisonings going unreported.

My understanding is that the two golden eagles were found close to estate boundaries, thus creating some confusion as to which estate was responsible. If I was a 'mischief maker' wanting to cause trouble for a shooting estate, I would not make a mistake like that. If I was a gamekeeper wanting to create some doubt as to my guilt, I would make sure I laid baits close to the boundaries of other estates.

It must be frustrating for law-abiding gamekeepers to keep getting this negative publicity about poisoning. However, instead of getting angry with the conservationists for drawing attention to the criminal activity, they ought to be getting angry with their unscrupulous colleagues.

Chris Monk said:

Wildlife groups blame gamekeepers - who in turn hint at 'mischief makers'

Kirsty Scott
Monday August 28, 2006
The Guardian

..."We cannot condone the illegal persecution of any species, golden eagles or otherwise, and as an organisation continue to work closely with other agencies and interests to put an end to these deplorable incidents." ...
I sometimes think the language itself can be pretty revealing. This smacks of a prepared, insincere statement, don't you think?

There is obviously a clear gap in perception concerning birds of prey even between gamekeepers themselves. I wonder what kind of pressures are brought to bear on some of the gamekeepers to lead them to risk using such virulent poisons?

Capercaillie71 said:
The reason that most of these things are found near a track is because that is where people are most likely to be walking and therefore stumble across such a thing. Depressingly, that suggests that there must be a large number of other poisonings going unreported.

My understanding is that the two golden eagles were found close to estate boundaries, thus creating some confusion as to which estate was responsible. If I was a 'mischief maker' wanting to cause trouble for a shooting estate, I would not make a mistake like that. If I was a gamekeeper wanting to create some doubt as to my guilt, I would make sure I laid baits close to the boundaries of other estates.

It must be frustrating for law-abiding gamekeepers to keep getting this negative publicity about poisoning. However, instead of getting angry with the conservationists for drawing attention to the criminal activity, they ought to be getting angry with their unscrupulous colleagues.

Well said.

Chris Monk said:

But Mr Burnett said many gamekeepers were frustrated by the unwillingness of the Scottish executive to allow them licences to deal with birds such as ravens and buzzards. Figures from the Game Conservancy Trust, he said, show that raptors can take up to 40% of winter grouse stock.

"We have offered [the Scottish executive] solutions and they are refusing. So it's not surprising that on occasion someone just says, oh to hell with this ... It could be anybody, and they say to hell with this and take the law into their own hands ... The raptor situation is getting worse. People could go back to doing stupid things."

Poisoning cases

Poisoning incidents in 2006 include:

February Borders: Four buzzards found poisoned by carbofuran

March Highlands: Dead red kite and raven found near apparent poisoned rabbit bait

April Tayside: Buzzard and tawny owl poisoned with chloralose found by police

May Grampian: Golden eagle found poisoned by carbofuran

June Highlands: Dead female golden eagle found poisoned with carbofuran
His comments here say it all.

Is that a veiled threat to the Scottish Executive?

Either way, it makes very very depressing reading :-C

Capercaillie71 said:
The reason that most of these things are found near a track is because that is where people are most likely to be walking and therefore stumble across such a thing.

No, it's because most G'Keepers are lazy and drive everywhere in a landrover ! I never see any walking about.

He might be as thick as pig**** but I sure as heck am not taken in with that - is he really a spokesman for the SGA ?

Regarding the comment "people could go back to doing stupid things" clearly they already are.

Well, I'm certainly in no doubt who's killing the Raptors in my neck of the woods, it's crofters first, closely followed by keepers.

Why crofters, well for years they have been destroying the moorlands with their uncontrolled heather burning, they've just about wiped out the Hen Harriers, the Merlins and the Short-eared Owls, not to mention all the other birds that lived on the moors! It will probably never grow back, there are areas I can remember being burnt more than twenty years ago that have never grown, plenty of bracken and course deer grass, no heather. The larson traps used to trap Hoodied Crows have also played a big part in removing the availability of old crow nests, they are virtually non existant now. The old nests were used by several species including Merlin, Kestrel, Long-eared Owls and Tawny Owls. So the moorland nesting sites have gone, the old crow nesting sites have gone and so have the Raptors! These guy's are also good at putting down poisoned bait, (it's not just the keepers that do it), it's indescriminate. They say it's put down for foxes, but it takes Buzzards, Crows, Ravens, Golden Eagles, Kites, Sparrowhawks, Peregrines, Otters, Badgers and Wildcats, not to mention the occasional dog.

The keepers, well, everybody who's involved in the Raptor scene knows what they get up to anyway.

nirofo.

Capercaillie71 said:
True enough. A bit like farmers in that respect!
TOTAL RUBBISH , HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU WORK A 16 HOUR DAY LIKE MOST KEEPERS AND FARMERS DO ON A REGULAR DAY OFTEN 7 DAYS A WEEK .

griffin said:
No, it's because most G'Keepers are lazy and drive everywhere in a landrover ! I never see any walking about.
TOTAL RUBBISH , COME TO SUFFOLK AFTER A DAY WITH ME YOU WOULD SLEEP OKAY AND IT WOULD NOT BE DUE TO BEING WEARY FROM CAR RIDEING

Whoops, I thought those comments would upset a farmer.
Must say, the ones I know do work hard for long hours, especially during lambing season.

I wonder. Where are the photos of all these dead birds and animals, even the "occasional dog"? Where does one find four pairs of Golden Eagles nesting in the same Glen? Is someone perhaps justifying his existence, "finding" things to prove how necessary he is, shouting "poison" every now and then to keep the pot stirred? Some people seem to be wonderfully expert in finding dead birds, almost as if they know where to look, been doing it for years too, and could anyone tell me what the hell the Police are doing, trudging over Highland hills and glens looking for dead birds, when the streets of towns and cities are (allegedly) crawling with criminals. Its been many long years since I was at RNAS Lossiemouth, and they never had this sort of thing in my young days.

Osprey_watcher said:
Whoops, I thought those comments would upset a farmer.
Must say, the ones I know do work hard for long hours, especially during lambing season.

Yes, I should have added a smiley to denote that my comment was tongue-in-cheek. I deal with farmers all the time and most are not lazy. However, most are very reluctant to walk even the shortest distance, if they can use a 4x4 or tractor to get them that last few metres. It was this latter characteristic that I was referring to.

Joe North said:
I wonder. Where are the photos of all these dead birds and animals.

How about here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/north_east/5271990.stm

Joe North said:
Where does one find four pairs of Golden Eagles nesting in the same Glen?

Depends how long your glen is I suppose. Glen Gairn, which is close to where the Dinnet eagle was found is about 15 miles long and about 4 - 5 miles across. You could probably just about fit 4 golden eagle territories in there.

Joe North said:
and could anyone tell me what the hell the Police are doing, trudging over Highland hills and glens looking for dead birds, when the streets of towns and cities are (allegedly) crawling with criminals.

I think you will find they are not actually trudging over highland hills and glens. Most of the carcases that are found are found by members of the public who are out for a walk. If the finding is reported the police are duty bound to investigate, as they should whenever a crime is reported.

I am afraid you are living in a fantasy world if you think this is all some big conspiracy by conservationists to discredit shooting estates. The people who work on these estates, gamekeepers or otherwise, know what is going on - very few deny it.

Joe North said:
I wonder. Where are the photos of all these dead birds and animals, even the "occasional dog"? Where does one find four pairs of Golden Eagles nesting in the same Glen? Is someone perhaps justifying his existence, "finding" things to prove how necessary he is, shouting "poison" every now and then to keep the pot stirred? Some people seem to be wonderfully expert in finding dead birds, almost as if they know where to look, been doing it for years too, and could anyone tell me what the hell the Police are doing, trudging over Highland hills and glens looking for dead birds, when the streets of towns and cities are (allegedly) crawling with criminals. Its been many long years since I was at RNAS Lossiemouth, and they never had this sort of thing in my young days.
Here's a few photo's of dead things found on keepered estates and farmed land. I have others but these will do for now!

nirofo.

Attachments

• 56-Crows-on-Gibbet.jpg
    56-Crows-on-Gibbet.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 235
  • Fox Gibbet - 24.jpg
    Fox Gibbet - 24.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 239
  • Golden Eagle poisoned.jpg
    Golden Eagle poisoned.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 237
  • Keepers-Gibbet.jpg
    Keepers-Gibbet.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 221
  • Moles on gibbet.jpg
    Moles on gibbet.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 228
Thanks Capercaillie for the URL. Even so, two eagles killed within the space of three months, almost certainly by accident, does not constitute suffucient reason for the near hysteria exhibited in some circles. Accidental, secondary poisoning does not even seem to have been suspected or investigated. Again, I wonder why? It is easy to generalise, and blame people for suspicion alone, just because they live in the area. How would some of the accusers feel if they were the subject of the suspicion, without proof. Fantasy works in all sorts of ways.

Careful nirofo. You'll probably be accused of superimposing them in Adobe photoshop and taking part in some great conspiracy. ;) against gamekeepers.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back