• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Highlands and Islands Thread (2 Viewers)

Just bumping up this thread during these strange times. Open to questions, help and advice from anyone wishing to plan a future birding trip to the Highlands.

As the little bunting news has been published. That had been suppressed ,near boat of garten , how long was it there . Only asking as I jammed in on it on way to work on 1st Feb . Scottish tick 😁

As the little bunting news has been published. That had been suppressed ,near boat of garten , how long was it there . Only asking as I jammed in on it on way to work on 1st Feb . Scottish tick 😁
It was just seen over two days though likely it had been there longer. It was just felt that it would be inappropriate to have any further people gathering at that very public location for obvious reasons. Lucky you were passing !!

Last edited:
Hi all, I'm heading to Highlands tomorrow staying Nethy Bridge for four nights and Braemar for three nights. Anyone got any suggestions on where to go in these areas at this time of the year? Hoping to see the usual Scottish specialties such as Crested Tit, Ptarmigan, Golden Eagle, Snow Bunting, Capercaillie (very unlikely) and Black Grouse amongst others.

Currently planning on going to Loch Garten for Crested Tit and Crossbills, walking up Cairn Gorm for Ptarmigan, Snow Buntings and Dotterel if it's not too late for the latter? Will be walking up Lochnagar if the weather permits which I believe could produce Ptarmigan and Golden Eagles too.

Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers.

Hi all, I'm heading to Highlands tomorrow staying Nethy Bridge for four nights and Braemar for three nights. Anyone got any suggestions on where to go in these areas at this time of the year? Hoping to see the usual Scottish specialties such as Crested Tit, Ptarmigan, Golden Eagle, Snow Bunting, Capercaillie (very unlikely) and Black Grouse amongst others.

Currently planning on going to Loch Garten for Crested Tit and Crossbills, walking up Cairn Gorm for Ptarmigan, Snow Buntings and Dotterel if it's not too late for the latter? Will be walking up Lochnagar if the weather permits which I believe could produce Ptarmigan and Golden Eagles too.

Any advice would be much appreciated, cheers.
Crested Tits were pretty easy to find around Loch Garten when I was there in late July. I suspect they will still be fairly easy, so long as you know the call. I think you'll be too late for Dotterel. I've seen Ptarmigan around Lochnagar, though they should be in all the high mountains. They can be hard to find though. I'd suggest the Findhorn Valley for eagles and raptors, although they could crop up in other places. Glen Muick near Ballater is good for Black Grouse, as is Mar Lodge. They may not be that easy to find at this time of year though.

Had a good couple of days in the Cairngorms, starting with a trip to Findhorn Valley where I had good views of a Golden Eagle amongst many Red Kites, Buzzards and Kestrels. However, the highlight was an Osprey fishing along the river right next to the road giving brilliant views. Also saw a few stoats along the road, including one chasing a rabbit!

Yesterday I made the trip up Cairn Gorm and saw seven Ptarmigan in flight at the summit. I carried onto Ben Macdui and had a group of five Ptarmigan showing really well next to the path, not at all bothered by the walkers. There was a nice flock of approximately 20 Snow Buntings flying around the summit too. No sign of the Snowy Owl, but I didn’t have much hope. The Ptarmigan views made it worth it.

Staying in the Braemar area for a few days now with my main aim of seeing more Golden Eagles.

However, the highlight was an Osprey fishing along the river right next to the road giving brilliant views.
I wonder if he's related to the one in my avatar. I digiscoped him when we were driving along the Findhorn road mmmm.... must have been back in the early 2000's. Came round a bend, and there he was sitting on top of a tree. Good job it's a quiet road LOL.

Had a good couple of days in the Cairngorms, starting with a trip to Findhorn Valley where I had good views of a Golden Eagle amongst many Red Kites, Buzzards and Kestrels. However, the highlight was an Osprey fishing along the river right next to the road giving brilliant views. Also saw a few stoats along the road, including one chasing a rabbit!

Yesterday I made the trip up Cairn Gorm and saw seven Ptarmigan in flight at the summit. I carried onto Ben Macdui and had a group of five Ptarmigan showing really well next to the path, not at all bothered by the walkers. There was a nice flock of approximately 20 Snow Buntings flying around the summit too. No sign of the Snowy Owl, but I didn’t have much hope. The Ptarmigan views made it worth it.

Staying in the Braemar area for a few days now with my main aim of seeing more Golden Eagles.
I find Glen Shee as reliable a spot as anywhere to see Eagles, if the Munroe's are busy with folk, they can be found closer to the Braemar end of the Glen.

Are you 100% on the Red-necked Grebe at Merkinch? Very unusual record.
Maybe a bit less. I'd walked in persistent rain from the station and I was bedraggled by the time I got to it. It spent most of the time underwater and I only got one good look at it. I didn't take on board how unusual it may have been until I researched it back home but having said that, is it really that odd? It is slap bang in the middle of the illustrated distribution for both breeding and non-breeding. You will know much better than me. I wish I had stayed longer but it was a royal pain to catch it above water. I have seen the species before (in Magadan).

Last edited:
Maybe a bit less. I'd walked in persistent rain from the station and I was bedraggled by the time I got to it. It spent most of the time underwater and I only got one good look at it. I didn't take on board how unusual it may have been until I researched it back home but having said that, is it really that odd? It is slap bang in the middle of the illustrated distribution for both breeding and non-breeding. You will know much better than me. I wish I had stayed longer but it was a royal pain to catch it above water. I have seen the species before (in Magadan).
Red-necked Grebe averages just one or two records a year in the whole of Highland region, so pretty rare. Slavonian and Little Grebes are both regular at that site however.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back