• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Birds of New York (1 Viewer)

Pinewood

New York correspondent
United States
Hello,

I have recently purchased a copy of the two volume set Birds of New York by Elon Howard Eaton. Albany, New York State Museum, 1910, 1914. The work is a complete reference work on the birds of this state, with lengthy descriptions of birds, maps, charts and some photographs. The most important part of this work are the 106 color plates, made from the paintings of Louis Agassiz Fuertes, an artist and ornithologist, who taught at Cornell University.

The plates have been printed as a separate book and as a portfolio, but I think the full two volume book keeps the plates in better shape.

This work is full of all sorts of curiosities like calling the house sparrow, the English sparrow, which went out of fashion more than fifty years, ago. The glossy ibis is listed as a visitant, but it currently migrates to parts of New York State, regularly.

The book is available online at:
http://www.archive.org/stream/birdsofnewyork11eato#page/n6/mode/1up

I am going to try to upload the illustration of jaegers, which I reduced for this post.

If I get any feedback, I will start quoting from the book, when I write about birds from my patch.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Attachments

• small jaegers.jpg
    small jaegers.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back