• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Autumn is Over.. (1 Viewer)

American Bittern* Botaurus lentiginosus A
16/12/64 - Loch Corrib, Galway (shot)
12/11/80 - Tincleton, Devon (shot)
29/10/81- 7/1/82 - Magor. Monmouthshire
4/11/81-9/1/82 - Kilmacolm, Renfrewshire

Plenty of inspiration in that list

cheers, alan

Glad the Cornish were so inspired. B :)

a

Dont now why you are so pessimitic peak month for Desert Wheatear is Nov.And as i have pointed out before the first 2 weeks of Nov can be excellent of rarities and megas.So i am still expecting a few rarities and may be a mega or two to turn up.

Forecast has changed a little and one of the 'Lows' that had been predicted to sail over the northern part of Blighty is now looking to broaden and bring in some South-Easterlies on Sunday and Monday.

As Rokermartin has suggested, now is the time for Desy Wheatears and I'd be surprised if we don't get a couple at least. Not quite what Alan is after, but a chance of a good self-found for someone. But where will they turn up? East coast?

Scillies or Shetland?

Forecast has changed a little and one of the 'Lows' that had been predicted to sail over the northern part of Blighty is now looking to broaden and bring in some South-Easterlies on Sunday and Monday.

As Rokermartin has suggested, now is the time for Desy Wheatears and I'd be surprised if we don't get a couple at least. Not quite what Alan is after, but a chance of a good self-found for someone. But where will they turn up? East coast?

Scillies or Shetland?
There were 2 Desert Wheatears in Holland yesterday.Western Bonelli's Warbler on mainland Shetland also BT Thrush on Fair Isle today.

Keen as ever to follow Punkbirder advice (now deleted!) I was in Cornwall for the American Bittern (or at least its bill ;) ) this morning; great flight views in the scope. Proof indeed that the autumn is not over - and what with the marsh hawk as well, this is undoubtedly a great autumn "for megas and rarities". B :)

a

If the latest weather forecast is right for the end of this weekend and the start of next week strong SE wind and rain. It could be interesting for some late rarities peak time now for Desert Wheatears,HYB Warblers and hopefully a few more Pallas's Warblers.

Forecast still looking good for Monday and Tuesday. 30mph SE wind and rain for Monday then on Tuesday 25mph easterly and cloudy conditions

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back