• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Terns cancun (1 Viewer)

John o'Sullivan

Hi,

I'm out in Cancun at present.

Only got 8x30's with me. Got a few terns each day offshore.

Royal, Least, Sandwich, Roseate??

Does this make sense?

haven't got a field guide of any description with me either for ID or distribution

John

Royal, Least, Sandwich, Roseate??

According to Howell and Webb, Least and Royal are only ones of these that would be seen near Cancun with any frequency. Roseate breeds farther south, and Sandwich is listed as a transient and winter visitor there only.

Looks like Gull-billed and Caspian are possibilities too - at least according to range maps, not sure about frequency.

Peter

Sandwich is common year round in Cuba if that helps (Raffaele et al), and I have myself seen them at Rio Lagartos in early may 2012.

Roseate is found up to Bahamas, but its Caribbean range centers on the Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico, while e.g., Caymans do not have them (Raffaele et al).

I had Least T by Cozumel and Royal Tern by Rio Lagartos.

Check also Ebird, here is the map for Sandwich Tern limited to April to June: http://ebird.org/ebird/map/santer1?...rue&mr=on&bmo=4&emo=6&yr=on&byr=2000&eyr=2013

Niels

Niels

Definitely Sandwich (one flew right around me this morning).

I wondered if there were Gull Billed around as some of the Sandwich types look stockier and rounder/shorter winged.

The roseate possibilities are further offshore and seem smaller than the sandwich types and gleaming white.

There are also surprisngly a few turnstones on the beach (I thought they'd be a long way north of here for the summer).

Those you think might be roseates, do you have any further description? how does the wing action compare with common/arctic/little terns or what you are used to?

Did you try look at ebird for what others have seen in your area? There are pages in the opus for each of the species you mention, e.g., Roseate here: http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Roseate_Tern

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back