• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tenerife or Lanzarote? (1 Viewer)

As Phil has suggested it's as broad as it's long, but if you hire a car and you're on Lanzarote it's only a short hop on the boat to Fuerteventura which gives other options (probably more natural freshwater sites but above all Canary Island Stonechat).

Lanzarote birds are more distinctive. Both islands you can see them all in one day.

We had a very good turtles and whale boat from Tenerife but there might be equivalents in lanzarote

Probably more ticks on Tenerife but as Owene says more satisfying birds on Lanzarote (plus ability to pop over to Fuert). Far more whale trips out of Tenerife though if you fancy adding Shears/Petrels (don't know what may be about in Jan).

No blue chaffinches on Lanzarote. Perhaps not a consideration but the flora of Tenerife is much more diverse (and it's the plants that are the true interest in the canaries)

No blue chaffinches on Lanzarote. Perhaps not a consideration but the flora of Tenerife is much more diverse (and it's the plants that are the true interest in the canaries)
Agreed. Just driving across the caldera of Mount Teide is an experience in itself, despite knowing nothing of botany the plant life is incredible!

Chris

Having been to Fuerteventura several times, I went to Lanzarote in early 2014 as a last minute substitute for a more exotic trip that was cancelled by the operator at short notice. My reasoning was that I'd been wanting to go there since before my first ever trip abroad, decades ago, but somehow had never got around to it, and I was expecting more or less the same birds as Fuerte (apart from the chat). What a mistake! It wasn't a patch on Fuerteventura, and I won't be back. On the other hand I was back in Fuerteventura 5 months ago, and it was great.

Tenerife is a good spot too. I've been to both islands several times. Like them both, for different reasons, mainly to do with their individual endemics. I wouldn't like to choose between the two, but I'd definitely choose Fuerteventura over Lanzarote.

EDIT. A few pics of Fuerteventura specialities, March 2023

Attachments

• Spanish-Sparrow-(53)-Betancuria-fbook.jpg
    Spanish-Sparrow-(53)-Betancuria-fbook.jpg
    773.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Great-Grey-Shrike-(36)-Barranco-de-Antigua-fbook.jpg
    Great-Grey-Shrike-(36)-Barranco-de-Antigua-fbook.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Fuerteventura-Chat-(20)-Fimapaire-Valley-fbook.jpg
    Fuerteventura-Chat-(20)-Fimapaire-Valley-fbook.jpg
    675.2 KB · Views: 4
  • B-B-Sandgrouse-(13)-Costa-Calma-fbook.jpg