• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tenerife - somewhere to stay (1 Viewer)

pandachris

Hi

We've booked an 11 night trip to Tenerife and La Gomera in December, hoping to see the endemics and limited range species and to do at least one cetacean watching trip. I've booked the first night's accommodation on Tenerife plus the La Gomera leg which leaves 5 nights on Tenerife. I'll be looking for somewhere quite nice but not too far from the airport for the last night as it's my partner's birthday. Any ideas about areas to stay for the other 4 nights? I'm thinking somewhere on or close to the north coast (Garachico, La Orotava, for example) but I'm completely open to ideas - e.g. somewhere close to known vagrant hotspots. Probably like to keep prices below €100 per night but I've some flexibility for the right place.

I've been to Tenerife twice before in the 1980s but not for serious birding etc.

What kind of accommodation are you looking for? We stayed in a small, self-contained house in Las Aguas (very convenient for the pigeons) and it was excellent.

Chris

Thanks both. I don't think I'm fussy about the accommodation type. Hotel, apartment, house - as long as it's clean and has a bed and a shower. We won't be spending much time there when we're conscious :) I might splash out on her birthday night. I've been looking around Las Aguas because I'd forgotten that I asked a similar question in 2020 when I over-optimistically thought travel might be feasible by the end of the year.

I have one very favorite accomodation on Tenerife but it's in a very poor birding location (La Laguna). But the entire island is one big accomodation, any time I need a place I just open booking.com, they even have entire houses/cottages to rent. I prefer it to airbnb because it's usually more straightforward with less hidden catches rules and fees. In December it's not gonna be a problem, a lot of places will be just empty.

Thanks again all. We've finally decided to have three night on the north coast at Residencia San Pedro in Los Realejos, so not far from Las Aguas. We'll probably find somewhere a bit plusher on the south coast for the last two nights i/c her birthday. Quite looking forward to it now. We haven't had a lifer since December 2019 so it will be nice to get to grips with some of those endemics.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back