• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

teal X mallard ? Rodley,Leeds England yesterday. (1 Viewer)

I would love to see more photos of this one...also from other dates.

From these 2 photos it is not so straight forward, but even with these an ID is possible

1. The bird on these photos looks small to me with a proportionally large head (but that may be just these photos)- would be better for Teal x Mallard

2. Head pattern is inconclusive, both teal x mallard and teal x gadwall may show something like this :
Some variation in Teal x Mallard: Some variation in Gadwall x Mallard: 3. The rear end and tail, all black with only outer tail feathers white is better for Gadwall x Mallard (Teal x Mallard normally has some small white feathers in the black at the base of the white outer tail feathers- that is lacking here

4. Tertials are not fully conclusive, could be both, but may be a bit more like some Gadwall x Mallard (though they seem less wide than normal in that cross)

5. Scapulars are closer to Gadwall x Mallard

6. The bird seems to have bright orange leg color, which would be better for Gadwall x Mallard (though some Teal x Mallard males can have surprisingly orange legs)

7. Reddish brown on breast seems to be much darker than on head, which would fit to Gadwall x Mallard

So I agree this is a Gadwall x Mallard from what we can see in these two photos.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back