• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tayforth Birding (5 Viewers)

Oh!!!? Where at Bridge of Cally - in the Forest, or just generally? I moved down to Blairgowrie from the Bridge of Cally area in 1995, and never had a sniff of one.

Oh WOW! I need Green Woodie on my Scottish list!!! Tried Barry Buddon, but couldn't find one.

We were planning to go up there on Sunday, but didn't fancy getting stuck with flooded roads, so stayed close to home.

Do I take it you go to the first car park and take that track on the left side of the reservoir?
Hi Delia, yes, I saw it first at the first junction then today in the trees by the picnic bench. That's what I thought @burnie hence surprised to see one up there.

Right now, many hundreds of gulls coming from the Tay, Dundee direction, gathering near Loch of Lintrathen area, into thousands now???? Still arriving!

Right now, many hundreds of gulls coming from the Tay, Dundee direction, gathering near Loch of Lintrathen area, into thousands now???? Still arriving!
They do roost at Lintrathen. You probably get a better view of them from the old hide as they're usually that side.

October 15th 2023 - Went over to Loch Shandra today, pretty dreich start to the walk up to the loch and it was raining by the time I got up there, just mizzle but, I decided to walk the loop around Crock, for some odd reason, well it was just there! Anyway, very little seen at all, I did hear a Stag calling from a nearby hillside but, the only thing worth mentioning is yet another Green Woodpecker @delia todd , or the same one? :unsure: Heard calling just off the path and I got a glimpse of it as it flew off uphill!

October 15th 2023 - Went over to Loch Shandra today, pretty dreich start to the walk up to the loch and it was raining by the time I got up there, just mizzle but, I decided to walk the loop around Crock, for some odd reason, well it was just there! Anyway, very little seen at all, I did hear a Stag calling from a nearby hillside but, the only thing worth mentioning is yet another Green Woodpecker @delia todd , or the same one? :unsure: Heard calling just off the path and I got a glimpse of it as it flew off uphill!
Ho hummm... way out of my league now walking up there.

We went up to Balintore, first time in many years. Got at least 4 Red Kite in the air. Great action and views too.

My friend got some action pics of male Pheasant having a right go at each other... yet to see them on the 'puter screen, only just in the door. Loads of Red-legged Partridge, but failed miserably to get any pictures of them.

Had a wander along Victoria Park sea shore at the top of the tide today, some kelp up on the shore was covered in Rock Pipits, Pied Wagtail, Starling, Redshank and Turnstones. A couple of Eiders amongst the Black headed gulls, but the water was quiet with little to be seen A few Herring Gulls sat on the posts but nothing out of the ordinary/

Nipped into Riverside Nature Park today. There were a lot of dog walkers so it was quiet.
Lots of robins (I mean really, really lots) and plenty song thrushes and redwings.
Bullfinch, long-tailed tit and chiffchaff in the quieter bit down by the bottom field.
A lone buzzard was the only raptor.
The tide was out and I left my scope in the car so waders were mostly distant brown dots but there were a good number of redshank, dunlin and oystercatcher. Loads of teal too.
On the wee pond was a just a moorhen with a couple of almost grown youngsters.
The sun tempted out some late butterflies including this comma.

comma.JPG

Headed to Guardbridge and the tide was racing in by this point.
2 little egrets and lots of black tailed godwits, lapwings, redshank and a few curlew before the water moved them away.
Goosanders and little grebes were expected but the pair of great spotted woodpeckers that flew from the hotel across the Eden was a nice surprise.

Netherton was where they are/were. The policies around that bend on the Drimmie road.
Aaaaah!!! I used to go round there quite often in the late 80's and early 90's as I knew people who lived at Netherton.

The day after you posted before, I remembered that I took one of the Dundee Ringers up to my patch at Heatheryhaugh in 200and something (I'd have to search my thread to find the date). As we rounded the bend and started up the hill at Middle Drimmie he suddenly announced Green Woodpecker. It had flown across the road. We stopped and scanned the field, but couldn't find it.

I've often looked for one there since, but nothing.

Hi all,

I'm hoping to make a visit to both Scone Palace and the Tayside Reedbeds in a few weeks time. Target species being the Hawfinch and Bearded Tit. I appreciate my chances are slim but has anyone been to either site recently and able to guide me in the right direction? Are the birds still frequenting at these sites? Is this the right time of year?

I know the Hawfinches will be high up in the canopy (if they are even there), so some neck straining may be required!

Thanks guys.

Hi all,

I'm hoping to make a visit to both Scone Palace and the Tayside Reedbeds in a few weeks time. Target species being the Hawfinch and Bearded Tit. I appreciate my chances are slim but has anyone been to either site recently and able to guide me in the right direction? Are the birds still frequenting at these sites? Is this the right time of year?

I know the Hawfinches will be high up in the canopy (if they are even there), so some neck straining may be required!

Thanks guys.
plenty of pics of the tay reedbed beardies appearing on facebook the last few days

January/February seems to be the best time to try for the Hawfinches.

Maybe someone knows better, but I understand it's no longer possible to walk in the "side door" after parking on the Stormontfield Road.. You now have to drive down the front drive and pay to park there.

Whether or not that's a temporary measure due to site traffic for the northern by-pass construction, I've not a clue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back