• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Switzerland in March (1 Viewer)

sandrinhalee

bird happy
Hi everyone,

My husband and I (Americans) are going to Frankfurt, Germany in March for a conference, and since we've not spent much time in Europe, we're taking some time off before and after the conference to tour around, including Switzerland.

I'm terribly ignorant about W. Europe, so ANY advice for birding during March would be helpful. What are the best places to bird? Any must-see places? We are beginning birders, so the easiest places are best for us right now.

I'll be posting a similar post in the Germany, Italy, and France forums (fora?) too, so if you have suggestions for those locations, please do add them on here!

We are very excited!!!

Thank you,
Sandra

Hi Sandra,

I am in Switzerland, where were you planning to go in Switzerland and how long do you plan to be there? I am guessing that you want to add some birding on top of a more general tour.

Mike

Fanel and Chablais de Cudrefin can be good in March, especially for waterfowl and early migrants. Also Klingnauer Stausee can be worth a visit. The mountains are still deeply snowed in then, but common mountain birds can be seen easily around higher stations like Zermatt or Grindelwald. It will be a good time for owls and woodpeckers too.
Generally March is a bit early, many species will still be somewhere in Africa;)

André

No plans yet

Hi bittern and wintibird, Thank you very much for your replies!

In response to bittern's question, we actually have no plans yet. All we have so far is our date of travel to and from Frankfurt. So we are doing a lot of research right now! Any advice on places to see, whether birding or other types of places, is very welcome!

Thank you very much!
Sandrinhalee

I agree with André's comments. It can still be very cold in March and this year winter is particularly tough! If you go to Fanel then Krummi which is close by often has some interesting birds in spite of being small. Wallcreepers should still be in their wintering sites in March and André can probably give you some good pointers from his end of Switzerland and I can help for the Geneva area.

With respect to other things in addition to birds, what are your interests? Lake Geneva should still host large numbers of wintering duck in March, also some loons, mostly Black-throated which has been split from Pacific...

Mike

No plans yet

Hi bittern and wintibird, Thank you very much for your replies!

In response to bittern's question, we actually have no plans yet. All we have so far is our date of travel to and from Frankfurt. So we are doing a lot of research right now! Any advice on places to see, whether birding or other types of places, is very welcome!

Thank you very much!
Sandrinhalee

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back