• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski tripod (1 Viewer)

ReinierB

Netherlands
Good day,

I am looking for a new lightweight tripod for the ATC 56. I have an old tripod (aluminium) on which you have to turn to adjust the legs (like the new swarovski tripods on the right). First swarovski had clips like you can see at the picture on the left. For me it seems easier to adjust the length of the legs this way. However, swarovski don't sell them anymore for a reason. Do you know why? Does anyone have bad experience with it? I can imagine the turn-around things are more sturdy and maybe that's the reason.

tripode-carbono-swarovski-ct-travel-rotula-dh-101-800x800_wksFAG6.jpg
CCT_tripod2_Transparent.png

Last edited:
The clamp-style ones are a good way to get your finger pinched, and premium tripods from the likes of Gitzo have always had rotating locks, so the association is lever clamp == low-end and low-quality.

I'd recommend the Gitzo Traveler GT1545T as the best all-round tripod, or in a more affordable range the Leofoto LS-224C, which is very light but still usable. The standard ball heads are not ideal for spotting scope use, compared to a pan-tilt head or better yet a fluid video head, but those tend to be big and expensive, specially compared to a light scope like the STC.

The clamp-style ones are a good way to get your finger pinched, and premium tripods from the likes of Gitzo have always had rotating locks, so the association is lever clamp == low-end and low-quality.

I'd recommend the Gitzo Traveler GT1545T as the best all-round tripod, or in a more affordable range the Leofoto LS-224C, which is very light but still usable. The standard ball heads are not ideal for spotting scope use, compared to a pan-tilt head or better yet a fluid video head, but those tend to be big and expensive, specially compared to a light scope like the STC.
Thanks! Much appreciated. Isn't the Leofoto LS-224C a bit too short for me? I am 1.93m (6.33ft). It is just 149.4cm long. But very lightweight, I like that...

The LS-224C is the smallest non-tabletop tripod in Leofoto’s lightweight LS line of tripods. While on paper the stiffness of the tripod does not appear that great, it is very good for the weight. There is no tripod lighter and more stable at this height. The price isn’t that bad either, making the 224C a good value proposition. Unfortunately, like the other tripods in the LS line, the leg angle is rather narrow preventing this tripod from performing even better.

Why is that? a bigger leg angle is better?

Thanks! Much appreciated. Isn't the Leofoto LS-224C a bit too short for me? I am 1.93m (6.33ft). It is just 149.4cm long. But very lightweight, I like that...

Hi,

you can add 15-20cm for the head plus another 7cm for a straight scope. Your eye level should be roughly 10cm less than your height - so yes, the Leofoto with 150cm is too short. Also this probably means with center column fully extended, which you probably want to avoid for stability reasons.

My choice in your situation would be sth along the lines of the Gitzo G3542L - that will deliver the needed height even w/o fully exending the center column. Might be a bit overkill on the stability side for a 56mm scope... but a straight scope with a tall user is tricky to find a tripod for...

PS: wider leg angle is preferred - not that easy to get blown away in strong wind... but of course, this means it's shorter with a given section length and number of sections...

Joachim

Hi,

you can add 15-20cm for the head plus another 7cm for a straight scope. Your eye level should be roughly 10cm less than your height - so yes, the Leofoto with 150cm is too short. Also this probably means with center column fully extended, which you probably want to avoid for stability reasons.

My choice in your situation would be sth along the lines of the Gitzo G3542L - that will deliver the needed height even w/o fully exending the center column. Might be a bit overkill on the stability side for a 56mm scope... but a straight scope with a tall user is tricky to find a tripod for...

PS: wider leg angle is preferred - not that easy to get blown away in strong wind... but of course, this means it's shorter with a given section length and number of sections...

Joachim
Thanks! I am sorry, I meant the ATC 56. Your comments are really helpfull anyway. I might consider a Gitzo, the GT3542L or the GT1545T. I don't like the ballhead included with the Leofoto LS-224C. I want something with a short handle/stick. The manfrotto 128RC I now have has a handle that's too long for the ATC 56. That's not really comfortable.

Hi,

ok with the ATC the scope is more like 15cm and since you look down into the eyepiece, eye level is more like height - 15cm, so it's going to be easier to find sth... GT1545T should work...

Regarding the 128RC - should be fine for the ATC56 - I recommend a metal saw for the handle...

Joachim

The lighter, the better. The 128RC is quite heavy for this small scope.
I considered the saw as well, but I like the angle in the handle. I don't want to cut that away. The soft part of the handle (where you put your hand) is hard / is impossible to remove and put on the metal of the handle again.

Last edited:
The Gitzo 3542L is a heavy Mountaineer series 3 tripod, meant for full-sized scopes (I have the 3542LS, purchased for use with a heavy Gigapan robotic panorama head). With a compact scope like the ATC, it will be comically oversized. With an angled scope, it doesn't need to reach eye level anyway.

FYI, B&H Photo has a special today on the Sony co-branded verion of the GT1545T kit, and they ship to the EU:

I use a GT1545T myself - highly recommended. Although a Mountaineer is preferable for windy conditions, I would imagine.

Good day,

I am looking for a new lightweight tripod for the ATC 56. I have an old tripod (aluminium) on which you have to turn to adjust the legs (like the new swarovski tripods on the right). First swarovski had clips like you can see at the picture on the left. For me it seems easier to adjust the length of the legs this way. However, swarovski don't sell them anymore for a reason. Do you know why? Does anyone have bad experience with it? I can imagine the turn-around things are more sturdy and maybe that's the reason.

tripode-carbono-swarovski-ct-travel-rotula-dh-101-800x800_wksFAG6.jpg
CCT_tripod2_Transparent.png
I have one of these Swarovski ones here with me while in Sri Lanka for the winter and it works ok with my 95MM ATX but nowhere as nice as the Glitz's I also own..

E4871912-2EB1-44F7-ABBA-C3D02298FBD6.jpeg

Hello!
Do you really mean Glitz? Or Gitzo?
Why isn't the swarovski as nice as the other one?

Nice being in Sri Linka during the winter...
I am sorry as yes I mean GITZO and simply they are the best however this Swarovski is just fine for my 95 ATX Spotting Scope.. Yes it is 94F now at 3pm on New years Eve..:)

or in a more affordable range the Leofoto LS-224C, which is very light but still usable. The standard ball heads are not ideal for spotting scope use, compared to a pan-tilt head or better yet a fluid video head
Thanks for thip tip. I bought it and received it yesterday. Really lightweight and with the center column it is just high enough for me. The ball head is not ideal, but it will work I think. I first have to get some experience it. The ball head is really light as well and that is what matters first.

Now I nearly regret it, because I have read about the Velbon Ultra series. With just one handling one leg can slide out. That sounds great! Here is a video of it:
Now I have to do 3 handlings two slide out one leg. So 3 legs make 9 handlings.
I wonder why no more manufacturers make tripods like this. What is the disadvantage of it? Less stabil?

Last edited:
Now I nearly regret it, because I have read about the Velbon Ultra series. With just one handling one leg can slide out. That sounds great! <snip
Now I have to do 3 handling two slide out one leg. So 3 legs make 9 handlings.
I wonder why no more manufacturers make tripods like this. What is the disadvantage of it? Less stabil?
Now, if neither of the estabished top manufacturers like RRS, Gitzo and Sachtler make such tripods, the answer seems obvious.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back