• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski NL vs EL (1 Viewer)

Dadash

Germany
Hi all!
I would really appreciate If there is a huge difference between these both.
But I m curious, is there somebody who owns/owned both of them and can tell their opinion?
TIA :D

These are very similar with small improvements in different areas of the optics, and a redesign of the Ergonomics and an improved focuser which is one of the best on the market.

The field of view has been increased by a good margin, although the EL’s are still considered to have a very good FOV.

The NL has a slightly less perceived neutral color bias , some like some prefer EL. They have a slight edge curvature that helps improve panning qualities (that some small group find irritating in the EL’s with globe effect).

Other than thise differences the image quality is very similar, very Swarovski.

If your new to Binoculars you may not even notice some of these differences. Imo both are as impressive as binoculars get, and that’s coming from a Leica fan boy 😃

Paul

FWIW, I tried both at the store and there were 4 things I immediately liked about the NL vs. EL - the annoying thumb grooves are gone, back to smooth barrels. The focuser is much smoother and more velvety action. The focus knob has moved to a better place, the natural position of your finger, instead of up high, forcing your finger at angle. Lastly, the open-barrels of the NL are easier to grip - my hands couldn't fit between the bridges in the EL, leaving a couple fingers in an awkward position over the lower bridge.

Each one of these 4 things was enough on its own to keep my from buying the 8.5x42 EL's I had planned to buy, btw. It forced me into buying 8x42 SF's instead, which also solved each of the 4 ergonomic issues.

I didn't have enough time to evaluate the optics, I'd probably like the smaller field of the EL's better, but I really didn't have the time to spend looking through them outside. I discovered Nikon EDG which has similar optics to the EL with better ergonomics as well. And I think the 42mm NL's were over $1000 more than the EL's....that's probably why I put them back on the shelf before an impulsive decision could be made :)

Last edited:
As Paultricounty has said they are quite similar. The mayor differences are the wider FoV and the focuser. EL had that missing for me, smooth focus mechanism.
I got the NL in 32 and have to say that there is quite some FLARE in some angles.

I have both the 12X42 NL and the
EL10X42 FP, both are superb. The focus knob on the NL is dramatically smoother, and it shows a noticeable amount less CA than the NL, but the EL is also very good in that regard. The EL has a cooler tint, the NL slightly warmer, both look overall very close to reality to my eyes, both are as sharp as you could want. The EL works for me with my glasses on and the eyecups turned all the way down, on the NL I need them out one step to avoid blackouts, the same was true with the 8X42 NL I had briefly. I’m not the guy to give a technical analysis, these are just some things I’ve noticed in the short time I’ve owned both of them together.IMG_3122.jpeg

Hello all, I own nl 12x43 and el 10x42
El is cool, I’m happy that I choose it for the yacht , nl looks more gentle for that, optic is fantastic but no glare

I started with 8x32 (primary bino), 10x32 and 10x42 EL FP then now using the 10x32 and 12x42 NL. From my eyes, the huge FOV and ergonomic of the NL makes it more attractive especially the 12x42, while using it, reminds me a lot of the 10x42 in terms of weight and fov but with extra 2x magnification. But the 10x32 NL is special for me because it is lighter and has wide fov like my 8x32 EL 🤤

All good stuff above. I can only comment on the 8x42 NL and 8x32 EL SV.

The NL and EL SV optics are both superb-- clear edge to edge and formidable optically. I still love and use the EL SVs on longer hikes -- their smaller size and lighter weight are a blessing.

But the NL's unrivaled huge FOV still blows me away after 4 months. It's addictive and still thrilling. For me it's a big advantage, esp. when scanning large open areas for incoming harriers near dusk.

After 20 years using ELs, the incredibly smooth focusing of the NLs is a noteworthy improvement.

The NL's Forehead Rest affords far more than just reducing shake. See:
More problem-solving magic when using the NL Forehead Rest

Last edited:
As Paultricounty has said they are quite similar. The mayor differences are the wider FoV and the focuser. EL had that missing for me, smooth focus mechanism.
I got the NL in 32 and have to say that there is quite some FLARE in some angles.
Do you have experience with the EL 32? Did you get the same amount of glare with the EL 32?
I have the NL 10x32 and like it a lot. The only issue I have is the glare. I heard the EL 32 is also a prone to glare. I wonder which one is better regarding this.

I have the EL 12x50 and barely experience any glare with it.

For me the ergonomics of the NL are hard to beat. I didn't really like the ergonomics of the EL 10x42. It was front heavy and the barrels were just a bit too slim for me. I didn't find a comfortable hold with it (much better with the EL 12x50.)
With the EL 10x42 I couldn't find a comfortable eye cups setting as well. The NL has 5 different positions, so for me there is a fitting postion.

I prefer the looks of the EL's, but that is personal. I do not find any difference in optics, both really nice and beautiful. Maybe, but I am not sure, the NL's are more prone to glare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back