• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski IS Telescope? (1 Viewer)

John A Roberts

Australia
In the last 12 months Swarovski has released a number of new products, including the 115 mm objective module for the X series telescopes,
and the NL line of binoculars
And in the last week it's added a further 3 products, see at: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/swaro-news.403830/

This afternoon I had a look at Google Patents, to see if anything had recently been added in relation to the NL binoculars
Instead I found a new patent for a telescope dating from November last year

The patent EP3742217A1 is a European wide one and is in German (see the attached copy)
It's about incorporating an image stabilisation group in the objective assembly
- see a diagram of one possible version, the IS group is at the rear

So a future product line?

John

Attachments

• EP3742217A1 (lodged May 2020).pdf
    630 KB · Views: 42
  • EP3742217A1 Fig.1.png
    EP3742217A1 Fig.1.png
    291.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
In the last 12 months Swarovski has released a number of new products, including the 115 mm objective module for the X series telescopes,
And in the last week it's added a further 3 products, see at: https://www.birdforum.net/threads/swaro-news.403830/

This afternoon I had a look at Google Patents, to see if anything had recently been added in relation to the NL binoculars

The patent EP3742217A1 is a European wide one and is in German (see the attached copy)

John

Having read the text of the patent as published, I doubt about its real innovative content. It seems to me rather that a particular application with all its detailed calculation is described therein instead of a innovative priciple, thus preventing may be an exact copy only.

No longer up to date with current patent law, I consulted Swiss patent ruling:

Verifying novelty
Novelty and inventive step are requirements for a patent to be valid. However, there is no examination for these in the Swiss granting procedure. In Switzerland, a patent is granted without guarantee and can therefore be subsequently declared invalid if a third party appeals against it.
We therefore strongly advise you to verify the novelty and inventive step of your invention yourself or have it verified for you before or after applying to patent your invention.
unquote

Is this just a repetition of: https://www.epo.org/law-practice/case-law-appeals/recent/t030267du1.html
when Swarowski then tried to apply for patent protection for a center focussing design based on the Kern Focalpin of the 1950ies?

HW

Last edited:
Well spotted John...

I was goin post something about Swarovski spotting scopes and a possible update...

But why a image stabilised spotting scope John ?
Spotting scopes are quite stable on tripods so I'm not really sure what a image stabilised scopes function would be...

Cheers
Tim

John
PS...

Just had a thought...
It might be a image stabilised rifle scope.....

Cheers
Tim

Having read the text of the patent as published, I doubt about its real innovative content.
Hi Hans,

I believe that's not uncommon in the industry. Experimenting with red dot sights, I recently found a current patent claiming the attachment of sights with a circular collar as a new invention in the 2000s.

Not only would that have been every plumber's kneejerk reaction towards solving the problem, it also was a technology introduced very shortly after the telescope was invented.

So, I blame this on the legal department ... it isn't really about innovation, it's about creating difficulties for the competitors.

Regards,

Henning

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back