• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski ATM 65 HD Spotting Scope recently acquired. Any value? (1 Viewer)

Hello. Newbie here! My sister-in-law recently passed and she owned the scope mentioned above, with tripod. If I understand the serial number correctly (begins with U79) it's a 2009 scope. Sound right? It has hours and hours and hours of use. Probably more hours that I could ever imagine. Is there any value in in this "old" gal?

I also have an ATM65 HD of 2011 vintage. The current ATS65 has an aluminium body instead of magnesium alloy but is optically identical. There may have been some recent improvements to the multicoatings, but nothing you would notice and I don't think there is a better 65 mm scope available.
Welcome to Birdforum, btw.

John

I'm sure some people on the forum will be very interested in taking a look at the scope, if you have pictures to share?

If you are thinking about selling it, I'm sure you'll find a good price by posting an ad here, too. Its a scope from a top-rated manufacturer, so resale will probably be satisfactory, if you can afford to part with it, that is.

Condolences.

I also have an ATM65 HD of 2011 vintage. The current ATS65 has an aluminium body instead of magnesium alloy but is optically identical. There may have been some recent improvements to the multicoatings, but nothing you would notice and I don't think there is a better 65 mm scope available.
Welcome to Birdforum, btw.

John
Thank you John for that information and welcome.

I'm sure some people on the forum will be very interested in taking a look at the scope, if you have pictures to share?

If you are thinking about selling it, I'm sure you'll find a good price by posting an ad here, too. Its a scope from a top-rated manufacturer, so resale will probably be satisfactory, if you can afford to part with it, that is.

Condolences.
Thank you for your condolences. I will try to post pictures.

Estate value would be around 2200 - 2500 $ Max. But it is a remarkable instrument and worthy to keep if you are into birding. You won't get a better 65mm than that!

New price for the scope & eyepiece is $2,300. Used ones have sold recently on eBay anywhere from $1,300 to $1,900. If the glass is clean and scratch free and the scope can be cleaned up a bit the fair value of the combo is $1,500 - $1,700. Oh, the objective (front end) and eyepiece covers should be included. Looks like the eyepiece cover is no longer tethered. Helps if you have the original box too.

The head is no longer available & you would have to pay me to take it.

I'm not familiar with the tripod.

New price for the scope & eyepiece is $2,300. Used ones have sold recently on eBay anywhere from $1,300 to $1,900. If the glass is clean and scratch free and the scope can be cleaned up a bit the fair value of the combo is $1,500 - $1,700. Oh, the objective (front end) and eyepiece covers should be included. Looks like the eyepiece cover is no longer tethered. Helps if you have the original box too.

The head is no longer available & you would have to pay me to take it.

I'm not familiar with the tripod.
Thank you for the reply. We will look for the covers and box, but I’m guessing the covers are missing, otherwise they’d be in the scope. What do you mean by “the head is no longer available & you would have to pay me to take it”.
I appreciate your input. Much appreciated.

Thank you for the reply. We will look for the covers and box, but I’m guessing the covers are missing, otherwise they’d be in the scope. What do you mean by “the head is no longer available & you would have to pay me to take it”.
I appreciate your input. Much appreciated.
Swarovski no longer makes the head. It is not very steady compared to many others that are available and is junk IMO. That doesn't mean someone else may find it useful. I would guess most BF members do not have a good opinion of it.

At least here in Finland, you can get new objective and eyepiece covers from a Swarovski retailer. The head is not great like Bill says, but the 65 is not heavy and the head will certainly work for you if you decide to start using the scope.

Swarovski no longer makes the head. It is not very steady compared to many others that are available and is junk IMO. That doesn't mean someone else may find it useful. I would guess most BF members do not have a good opinion of it.
Hey Bill, please forgive my ignorance, is the head in reference to the mount to the tripod?

Yes, it will be the tippy, twiddly bit that goes between the tripod and the scope. You’ll find plenty of good “fluid” heads that you might be able to replace the swaro one if you felt you wanted to.

Peter

"...is the head in reference to the mount to the tripod?"

Yes, it screws onto the top of legs. You should just be able to twist the head off of the legs. Here's a pic:

YSZwaWQ9QXBp

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back