• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swallows (1 Viewer)

Hi, I live in the west of Ireland with my husband. We are both disabled and live a quiet life. Every year we are delighted to see the swallows arrive and rebuild their nests in our sheds. We protect the sheds in such a way that cats can't get in. There is an open third shed that they normally don't use so I'm worried because I found a dead swallow yesterday and I think its a male. Does anyone know if the mother will abandon her nest now?
Thank you.

Hi, Ana and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. However, I am not able to help, but am sure someone will be along soon that can.

Hi Ana and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. If either of the adults die at this stage, it's likely that clutch will fail. However, depending on the conditions, they usually raise several broods in the season, so if she finds a new partner there will likely be a successful brood or two yet.

Here is a link to our Opus article about Barn Swallows: Barn Swallow - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Ana and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. If either of the adults die at this stage, it's likely that clutch will fail. However, depending on the conditions, they usually raise several broods in the season, so if she finds a new partner there will likely be a successful brood or two yet.

Here is a link to our Opus article about Barn Swallows: Barn Swallow - BirdForum Opus

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you very much Delia, I was very happy and relieved to find this bird forum. Thank you also for the information and the link. It's very sad but hopefully the female will find a new partner. I'll definitely post updates on her progress.

Hi, Ana and welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. I think you will find us a friendly and helpful group. However, I am not able to help, but am sure someone will be along soon that can.
Thank you Lisa. Lovely to find this very welcoming forum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back