• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surreybirder's local patch (1 Viewer)

Ken, those galls are known as Robins Pincushions, and are formed in a similar way as the silver birches "witches brooms" the thing is that one year you may see hundreds, but next year you are often not likely to see any, they were very prolific in the previous village I lived in one year, but for the next 6 years you never saw one. I think it depends on the life cycle of the grub that forms them.
As for the Devon & Cornwall air ambulance, the pilots are not allowed to purchase this popular drink, and anyone who likes it is welcome to it, I personally dislike it immensely. Nina.

Hi Nina,
Damson gin's better!
Ken, I haven't managed to find out what's going on with the galls. I don't know of the silver birch ones, Nina. I'll keep looking!

The "Witches brooms" look just like their namesakes, and are common on all birch family trees, I have seen something similar on a Maritima Pine, but that was chopped down to build the new Sainsbury's in Ferndown some time ago.
I believe the damage is done to the trunk of the tree and the tree then puts out rapid growth of twigs, which then form this type of gall/ excess growth, to compensate and disguise the damage. It often resembles a birds nest/ magpie type, or Squirrels drey. Nina.

It's amazing what you see when you go out with a torch after dark. Apart from moths and spiders, I came across some nippy looking earwigs.

Attachments

• earwig.jpg
    earwig.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 100
Goonerz,
I don't think anyone has responded to your question about how to add attachments.
When you post, you have to click on the green 'post reply' button. Then, where it says 'browse' click on the 'browse' button and select the file that you want to attach.

Ken

silver Y

How about this for a well-camouflaged moth! (It was even harder to see in life cos there were lots of similar looking dead leaves and the wings were not so bright--they've reflected the flash somewhat.)

Attachments

• silvery 24sept.jpg
    silvery 24sept.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Great ones Ken, I did send Goonerz the way to use the green post reply, in PM as I felt the times it has been explained on the forum, may get the moderators annoyed, But as I have had no response I wonder if the message has been recieved? N. I do like your silver Y, and as I'm reporting now the Tawny's are giving voice, from the Ash tree outside. I suppose this will continue for most of the night for quite a few months now, as that is the norm for here. I aught to be in bed now as I'm off for the first lesson in the course of the digital photography and computing classes tomorrow morning.
I've just heard the first Barn owl call for the year, wonderful, signing off for now, Nina.

got a film back from processing today so I thought I'd put up some butterflies from our garden.
First, small copper

Attachments

• small_copper33.jpg
    small_copper33.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 100
I think the most overlooked feature of a Peacock butterfly is the wonderful row of wobbly lines on the front edge of the wings, your picture shows then well.

Ken, as usual, brilliant photos, and after todays course, I just had to get a new camera, got one with optic zoom X3 and digital zoom X5, but will probably only use optical as quality is better. I've had enough of fiddling around trying to get the zoom to work on the other camera, that's why the zoom didn't work on that pic I sent you!!
I knew I'd find out sooner or later, this one has photosmart media with it, so after a bit of experimenting and next weeks learning to crop and paste, I'm really hoping to get something to post. Then there will be no stopping me, add that to a scope, well I'm hoping anyway! Nina.

Only two days to go before my "local patch" ceases to be local.
The field of weeds behind our house has been alive with birds. I estimate 80 goldfinches there this morning, and quite a few linnets and meadow pipits.

Ken I just managed to post a picture on my Thread! So many thanks to you for all the help you've given me, and I actually had to get a new camera with Photosmart so now I can do some of the tricks without lessons, but I'll continue the course as I may well pick up more tips and clues!!
Does that mean you're closing down on this thread? Nina.

Nina P said:
Ken I just managed to post a picture on my Thread! So many thanks to you for all the help you've given me, and I actually had to get a new camera with Photosmart so now I can do some of the tricks without lessons, but I'll continue the course as I may well pick up more tips and clues!!
Does that mean you're closing down on this thread? Nina.

My hope is to start a new thread once I've got going in my new 'local patch'.
But I've got to pack my pc :-C and :flyaway:

But I may still have time to add a bit more before the final close-down!

I like your pix, Nina. There'll be no stopping you now! :D

I'm only sorry we won't be around when the birds discover our pyracantha... but we'll certainly plant one in our new place!

Attachments

• pyracantha.jpg
    pyracantha.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 187
Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back