• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surreybirder's local patch (1 Viewer)

The field immediately behind our house has not been farmed this year. There are masses of thistles and other weeds, which are attracting a good flock of finches. I reckon there were at least 80 goldfinches and quite a few linnets there this morning.

Attachments

• weedy_field.jpg
    weedy_field.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 164
Not a great shot, but just a few of the goldfinches after they'd flown up into our neighbour's oak tree.

Attachments

• goldfinches.jpg
    goldfinches.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 163
Ken the field shot shows the same sort of growth that was our back field until two weeks ago, when they finally decided to cut it down for the winter, and by next spring it will be just right for the Lapwings, as long as the village idiot doesn't allow his dogs to see them off.
What a cluster of goldies, I think they are called a charm when like that. Nina.

It will be sad for this thread to close, but i can't wait for your new patch thread.
Surreybirder and Nina I have learnt so much reading your posts,they are always interesting.....who needs a book.

I have a question about Chiff-Chaffs, on my local patch they are very abundant, however they do vary in colour,contrasting to crisp yellow and green, to paler washed out colours. I can only summise that the brighter cleaner of the two are younger birds,and the tatty worn appearance are older birds but I have recently learnt that there is a Scandinavian sub-species of Chiff Chaffs (Abietinus) which generally have paler plumage anyway.I am told these can be found in Britain as migrants. So along with the British and western race(Collybita) how could one differentiate between all of these Chiff-Chafs, Light and brightness not withstanding. any ideas..................

Last edited:
In exactly the same way as they cannot tell between themselves if the opposite one is male or female, if James the "Dover Dude" speaks true, I was reading up on his thread about bird ringing with Dave G and between them they are teaching me things I never knew. I love this forum for the education gained from other members.
Goonerz, did you manage to get my private message on posting and all the other bits you can do when you press the green (post reply) tag? Nina.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back