• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (4 Viewers)

I like your new site, David.
Migration has been slow so far down here in Lingfield. Main recent birds of interest were peregrine, little egret, tawny owl (perching on top of a silver birch in full view), little owl (three sites) and quite a few swallows (30 at Hedgecourt Lake yesterday).
Ken

Did a quick trip to Chobham Common this pm.
National Grid are refurbishing the main Pylon Line south of the M3 and (technically) all the footpaths that cross under it are closed 8 am - 6 pm until 25th June. Site notices do not say anything about whether this includes weekends or not.

No sign of any Redstarts in the small area I was able to visit, but the habitat looks as right as it could be.

I also went looking for Redstarts on Chobham Common today and I also failed to find any. I'm not convinced there are any to be found. Easy enough at Thursley of course, but I'm hoping to get some more local to me.

Hi everyone

Does anyone know where the Southcombe car park is on the Devils punchbowl?

Crossbills have been recently reported on SBC.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin. After a bit of searching I can't find details of the car park. I'll let you know if I do.
Did you see the Firecrest at Mitcham after I went?

Kevin. After a bit of searching I can't find details of the car park. I'll let you know if I do.
Did you see the Firecrest at Mitcham after I went?

David

The Firecrest was not seen again that evening.

I have been unable to trace the carpark. Roger and I asked local people during our visit but no one had heard of it.

Regards

Kevin

I also went looking for Redstarts on Chobham Common today and I also failed to find any. I'm not convinced there are any to be found. Easy enough at Thursley of course, but I'm hoping to get some more local to me.

Birds of Surrey says "intermittent reports" from Chobham 1994-2004. So they are present sometimes, possibly only on passage though.

What's Horsell Common like? I've never been there but have passed it many times. Also Whitmoor Common - Nightjars there at least.

Yes, I've been leafing through my Birds of Surrey too. I find it hard to believe there are Redstarts at Pirbright/Bisley but none at Chobham, it's only a few miles away and there is some decent-looking habitat. Trouble with the whole Pirbright area is the restricted access, I've never found a good access point. As regards Horsell, I drive past it every day but never really look for birds there, it's much more disturbed by dog walkers and others than Chobham. I believe it has, or had, Nightjars but I can't really tell you much more than that.

...Trouble with the whole Pirbright area is the restricted access, I've never found a good access point...

There is access to Ash Ranges (Pirbright Common SW of Pirbright village) when the red flags aren't flying. Trouble is there is nowhere you can find the times from.
However from past experience, they are open during the long holidays, eg Christmas, Easter etc.
Not sure about the other ones but maybe. It's a long weekend coming up so maybe they will be open. But you have to go there to find out.

I was told by a horse rider some years ago that the red flags come down about 4-30pm most days so they should be open most late afternoons & evenings.

None of this is guaranteed and the info may be out of date. Maybe someone else knows. I'll ask on the Surrey/Hants/Berks Borders thread.

Surrey Wildlife Trust are apparently grazing cattle there now.

It's a lovely place with some great views. Definitely Redstarts there.
Access either at the main gate at the range near Henley Park Lake off the A 324.
I found it easier to park on the other side of the common on the minor Road just SE of the railway by the railway tunnel.

Thanks for this info. I've been in at the Dolleyshill entrance point before, when I was under the impression that there were still Groppers at Whitepatch Bottom, before I realised that the info was way out of date. I'll try the Henley Park Lane area again.

I just found this. It implies that only 4 weeks per year are the ranges open full time, so I guess that is the 2 weeks at Christmas and the 2 weeks at Easter

Ash Ranges
The range danger area (RDA) is ring fenced and out of bounds to the public when the red flags are flying indicating that he ranges are operational and it dangerous to enter the RDA. In effect creating an out of bounds area 7days week between 07.30 and 16.30 approx 48 weeks of the year. Details of times when the ranges are not operational can be obtained from the range office on a daily basis. When the flags are taken down each day live firing stops and the area is open for full managed public access controlled within the terms of the Byelaws. There are few public rights of way within the Ash Area.

http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsi...TITLE_RTF/Agenda+-+24+April+2006?opendocument

Well, a walk around the Henley Park area still failed to reveal any Redstarts, despite loads of fantastic-looking habitat. In fact there was virtually nothing to be seen, one or two Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps, and a pair on nesting Coal Tits were the highlights. At least 4 Mandarin on Henley Park Lake.

At Thursley, at least 4 Woodlark on the burnt area and 2 Redstarts in the woods near the cricket pitch. Also Cuckoo and Willow Warbler. No Redstarts in the Moat car park though, where I've seen them before.

On Surrey Bird Club website : report of female Subalpine Warbler on Chobham Common, 200m east of Jubilee Mount car park.

Well, a walk around the Henley Park area still failed to reveal any Redstarts, despite loads of fantastic-looking habitat. In fact there was virtually nothing to be seen, one or two Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps, and a pair on nesting Coal Tits were the highlights. At least 4 Mandarin on Henley Park Lake ...

If you visit again, you might have some success on the higher ground in the Scragley Hill area. Either walk up the long main track past Henley Park range,
or on the other side of the common park at Tunnel Hill on the verge, SU 912550 and walk the other way. It's a shorter walk.
There is also a parking area where the two minor roads join SU 918556, but it should be OK on the verge.

If you get Google up, select maps, zoom in and switch to satellite view and you'll see. No need to download Google Earth first (at least I don't think so).

Visited Thursley: Nice to see the little heather plants regrowing after the fire.

3-4 singing Woodlarks, 2 male Cuckoos, displaying Tufties on Pudmore, only saw one Redstart (in Redstart Alley).
Didn't find a Tree Pipit which was unusual, probably there but I missed it.
Three Hobbies, lots of Large Red Damselflies. Didn't see any lizards today.

Little Tern at Beddington on Saturday at 15:45. Cracking bird. Flew in from NE, circled the 'submarine' and exited SW.
Did anyone get any news of it after that?

Had a flock of about 50 Crossbills at Frensham Little Pond yesterday, at the back of the pond where it joins the King's Ridge. They hung about for a while and I was able to get a few reasonable shots (and a lot of rubbish ones). They've got to be immigrants surely, we don't normally get such numbers in Surrey. Didn't see any juveniles.

It's interesting watching them feed, they don't so much feed a the tree as dismantle it, ripping off whole cones and dropping them to the floor. Bizarrely, whilst watching them a Kingfisher shot through the top of the trees in between them, making an unusual same-field-of-view double!

Didn't see any Spotted Flycatchers though, which is what I mainly went for. Anyone know exactly where the hang out at Frensham (or anywhere else?)

Last edited:
Clive

Do you know if the Crossbill are still at Frensham? Crossbill are still missing from my list. If so I will take a trip down there.

Regards

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back