• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Surrey Birding (2 Viewers)

John, is there a car park down that end of the common or is it a case of just parking at the Moat and walking down?

Matt.

Hi Matt,

As Sean says you can park in thursley by the play park & you'll see the entry sign to the common. The bird was in an area of deciduous trees to your left a short distance from the entrance.

Atb,

john.

Thanks guys, I found the car park and connected with the bird this afternoon, still singing and showing very well. Also seen: 5+ Redstart, 2 Red Kites, 2 Kestrel, 1 Cuckoo, 1 Hobby, 4 Sand Martin, amongst the usual suspects.

Matt.

I caught up with the Wood warbler today and what an obliging bird it is !!, also Redstart (many), Curlew, Hobby, Whinchat. Made a nice day, especially as the weather has been less than desirable.

At Crooksbury Common tonight at least 4 Nightjar seen and 1 Woodcock seen well. I heard a Turtle Dove 'purring' as I arrivied for about a minute near the carpark but was told by others that it was present for a while.
Kevin

Birdwatching near Eastbourne

Am going to a wedding at the end of June and spending 3 nights in Eastbourne.
Driving down from Chester on the Thursday. Any suggestions for birdwatching on the way down and in the area between Lewis and Eastbourne. Will be going to the family records office there on Thursday p.m so will have a free day on the Friday.
Many thanks
Jeanie.

Am going to a wedding at the end of June and spending 3 nights in Eastbourne.
Driving down from Chester on the Thursday. Any suggestions for birdwatching on the way down and in the area between Lewis and Eastbourne. Will be going to the family records office there on Thursday p.m so will have a free day on the Friday.
Many thanks
Jeanie.

Hi Jeanie,

I suggest that you post this in the Sussex birding thread where I'm sure someone will be able to help.

ATB,

John.

managed to get to crooksbury today several weeks after my posting about dartford warblers ,spent 4 hours overthere most of it whezzing up and down the hill no sight or sound of the dartford didnt manage to find the pond either still always another time.
did pop into thrusley though had a vert good sighting of a crossbill and redstart,a hobby was very active as well so not a wasted trip

A Crane was sighted somewhere in Surrey about 3-4 weeks ago. Who would be the right person to tell here? I would not want to give the details to the wrong sort.

I thought I would try this thread to see if anyone had any info on an unusual duck currently residing on Frensham Great Pond. I went today for the BN Grebe which was fairly easily found, but I also noticed an odd duck which was reminiscent of a Scaup but had a subtly reddish hue to the head rather than purple/green which seemed to indicate a Tufted x Pochard hybrid. Unfortunately the bird was very distant on the far side of the pond. I just wondered if anyone else had seen this bird and can advise?

Thanks

I thought I would try this thread to see if anyone had any info on an unusual duck currently residing on Frensham Great Pond. I went today for the BN Grebe which was fairly easily found, but I also noticed an odd duck which was reminiscent of a Scaup but had a subtly reddish hue to the head rather than purple/green which seemed to indicate a Tufted x Pochard hybrid. Unfortunately the bird was very distant on the far side of the pond. I just wondered if anyone else had seen this bird and can advise?

Thanks

Hi Allen,

I presume you have seen the regular wintering Aythya hybrid, which I have down as a Tufted Duck x Pochard, now back for its fourth winter (he arrived with an influx of Pochard about a week ago). If it is then you would have seen the rounded head with the reddish tint to the black, very dark grey upperparts (lighter than Tufted but much darker than Scaup) and pale grey flanks. At close range you can see that it has an orange iris. Does that sound about right from what you saw today ?

Shaun

Shaun

That sounds exactly right although no chance of seeing the iris in Sundays conditions - wind and distance.

Thanks

Hi Allen

How close was the grebe? I'm guessing miles away.......?

How close was the grebe? I'm guessing miles away.......?

Hi Clive,

The Grebe ranges throughout the southern half of the pond - sometimes it can be quite close in to the southern shore, sometimes it can be right out in the middle of the pond. If your luck is with you you'll probably get the best views from the southern shore (along the footpath east of the yacht club off Pond Lane - there are several fishing swims to view from along there).

Good luck,

Shaun

A SLAVONIAN GREBE showing well on Manor Lake at Thorpe Park today. It is favouring a 100m section close to the southern bank of Manor Lake, east from the traditional Tern raft. Viewed from the public footpath from the village church.

Kevin

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back