• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sulphur-breasted vs Limestone Leaf Warbler: updates about ID? (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

Hi, I live in Hong Kong. I would occasionally find what are presumably Sulphur-breasted Warblers in mixed flocks.

I am aware, however, that there is such a thing as Limestone Leaf Warbler. The paper describing this species is in this link.

I'd be curious to know how to detect a vagrant Limestone Leaf Warbler in Hong Kong. Unlikely, yes, but stranger things have happened in the world of Hong Kong birding.

Their vocalisations differ. I have never knowingly heard a Sulphur-breasted vocalising. I don't even know if anyone has ever heard the call in Hong Kong.

As for morphology, the paper says that the two appear indistinguishable in terms of plumage. Apparently, Limestone is slightly colder-coloured than Sulphur-breasted, though this is based on two specimens of the former. Also, the authors claim that the ratios of bill length to wing length don't overlap. I don't know if this ratio can be measured from a series of good photos in the field.

This paper, however, is a bit old. I wonder if there is now more data or more updated studies.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back