• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sulle vanità del mondo (1 Viewer)

janvanderbrugge

....... for it has long been the absurd fashion to make the specific, and even some of the generic names, bear allusion to men. What benefit does a student derive from knowing that there are certain species, bearing such names as Clarkella, Brownella, Harrisella, Smithella and the like terms, which only serve to glorify those whose paltry conceited minds are gratified at the idea of having obtained a little celebrity for themselves, by the shortest and easiest method.” (I leave the author's name and publishing date out here)

Such a text, if generally accepted, would never had resulted in the existence of a subforum like this. Although this text does not (with some exceptions) represent my view - nor yours, dear colleagues, I suppose - I still find some pleasure in submitting it here.

I also use it to forward a barely known name which I recently found. Several Italian bird names end in -iola, a diminutive which refers to small size. A few examples are: Cannaiola for Acrocephalus, Salciaiola for Locustella, and (Passera) scopajola for the Dunnock. (spellings with j are outdated now)
The term Pajola seemed out of order and indeed does not refer to habitat or dimensions. It was added by Paolo Savi in Ornitologia Toscana, 1827, to the description of Sylvia nisoria, which in Italian is called Bigia padovana (Celega padovana), the [Barred] Warbler of Padua. Savi writes: "potrebbe esservi il caso, che quello di cui parlo, trovato nelle vicinanze di Padova, [...] pure differisca specificamente per qualche altro carattere della S.nisoria. (e se ciò fosse propongo di dargli il nome di S.Pajola in onore di chi la trovò.)"
= It could be the case that the specimen of which I speak, found in the neighbourhood of Padua, [...] specifically differs by any other feature from S.nisoria. (and if that would be so, I propose to give it the name of S.Pajola in honour of the person who found it.) He adds that the juvenile plumage of the Barred Warbler is not well known in every detail.
Much later, in Manuale di Ornitologia Italiana, 1904, Arrigoni degli Oddi mentions this without any hesitation: "La Sylvia Pajola del Savi (Orn.Tosc. I. p.256, 1827) è il giovane della presente species con l'iride brunastra."= The Sylvia Pajola of Savi is the juvenile of S.nisoria with brownish iris.

In his book Savi had mentioned the person in question in a short survey of Italian ornithology, but only as Dr. Fr.Pajola di Venezia. I found that Pajola is not an uncommon name, but no link with bird studies.
Enjoy, take care to stay in good or at least acceptable health!
Ciao, Jan van der Brugge

He is mentioned here as well.
Durch Herrn Dr. Pajola habe ich aus Venedig Nest und Eier desselben erhalten.

Thought of Francesco Pajola (1741-1816) but death 1816 might count against him. But maybe a son with the same name?

Last edited:
Well found, Jan! :t:

S. [Sylvia] Pajola SAVI 1827 (OD here), in text.

(Sig./Signore/Mr alt. D./Dott./Dr/Doctor) "D. Fr. Pajola di Venezia" (in the Introduzione, vol.1, page xv).

Who Signore/Dottore Pajola was? I haven't got a clue.

/B

... but I think we can forget about "Francesco Pajola (1741-1816)" as our dottor Pajola seems to be have been birding, still going, still collecting, still stuffing birds, in the mid-1850's (here):
Esso lo incarica parimenti di ringraziare il dottor Francesco Pajola pel dono di un Porphyrio Hyacinthinus. Quest' uccelo, apparecchiato lodevolmente dal Pajola, venne ucciso nella nostra provincia presso le porte grandi del Sile.

/B

PS. He's also mentioned here.
--

Last edited:
Here suggest that he was still alive in 1874.
Nope, Martin, I don't think so, that would be misreading it, Bree's quoted/translated part (as far as I can tell) is from "Ornitologia Toscana" (vol. 2, 1829), here.

Bree didn't receive that bird from Pajola "last year from Venice" (but Savi did). Apparently.

Anyone (who knows Italian) think otherwise?

/B
--

Last edited:
Today's updated HBW (still) Alive Key:
pajola
Dr Francesco Pajola (fl. 1816) Italian surgeon, naturalist, collector (Jan van der Brugge in litt.) (syn. Sylvia nisoria).
But ... do we truly know that "our" dottore Pajola was a surgeon?

And why "fl.1816" ... ? To me he seems to have been around far, far longer.

Jan (or James), what have you found, off-BirdForum?

Just curious ;)

/B

Nope, Martin, I don't think so, that would be misreading it, Bree's quoted/translated part (as far as I can tell) is from "Ornitologia Toscana" (vol. 2, 1829), here.

Bree didn't receive that bird from Pajola "last year from Venice" (but Savi did). Apparently.

Anyone (who knows Italian) think otherwise?

/B
--

It was translated correctly. One point though is that the title "Dottore" in Italy applies to anyone with a university degree, so "Dottor Pajola" was not necessarily a medical doctor

Or maybe ... ?!?

Thanks "cajanuma" :t:, maybe you can bring clarity to the following pieces, as well?

... dott. Pajola in context of Venezian birds (here, pp.229-230, bottom page in the entry for "Sylvia philomela"), and in vol. 2, part 2: we find a "... Pajola, morto l’anno 1816, ..." mentioned (here).

If relevant? It could be one single guy, or (more likely) two different guys? With the same name. It's all in Italian (and as such incomprehensible to me) ... but there might be, seems to be, some sort of connection.

Also see here (pp.190-191) by Savi himself. Or here (also p.191!).

And here:
Elenchi vari di uccelli, un elenco con nomi veneziani, italiani e sistematici in latino; elenchi di uccelli "da dare al Liceo", della "raccolta Pajola", di "Cavalli Luigi"; copia di una lettera a Carlo Durazzo per scambi ornitologici.

If of any help/use?

/B

PS. In Ornitologia italiana ... (1873), he's mentioned as: "D. Fr. Paiola [sic] di Venezia" (here), alt. "dottor Paiola" (on p.409 and 419). The latter in reference to the year "1827" (I think).

Quote cajanuma (Italy):
It was translated correctly. One point though is that the title "Dottore" in Italy applies to anyone with a university degree, so "Dottor Pajola" was not necessarily a medical doctor

Right, it is the same as here in the Netherlands. The gentleman Pajola of Venice who died in 1816 was a physician ("chirurgo"), but evidently he is not the person who observed the birds and prepared the skins, described in the sources we (Björn et al.) mentioned. The designation "fl. 1816" must stay unfounded for now, sorry James. I add a phrase in beautiful Italian and can only answer to that: Io sono spiacento, adesso non ho altra parola chiave per cercare . . .

"Siamo spiacenti, ma niente abbinati i termini di ricerca. Si prega di riprovare con alcune parole chiave diverse."
Continuazione incerta. Jan van der Brugge

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back