• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk, UK Waders (1 Viewer)

SandraC

Hi,

Firstly apologies for the poor lighting on the pictures which could hamper the IDs.
The four pictures attached are from Aldeburgh Marshes in Suffolk on 8/9/22. We had been told that there were Curlew Sandpipers around as well as Little Stints but don't know if that is what we were looking at. My partner is wondering if one of the birds is a Ruff.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Sandra

Attachments

• wader 1 080922.jpg
    wader 1 080922.jpg
    748.6 KB · Views: 109
  • wader 2 080922.jpg
    wader 2 080922.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 107
  • wader 3 080922.jpg
    wader 3 080922.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 105
  • wader 4 080922.jpg
    wader 4 080922.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
1. Ruff
2. Wood or Green Sandpiper in front, Ruff behind
3. Ruff
4. Dunlin (larger birds), Little Stint (single smaller bird, left of centre)

Why? Ruff are best told by shape, often looking hunchbacked when standing still, with a small head on a longish neck; very variable in colour, but when they are a light cinnamon there is no other likely species. Finally, for a largish wader they have quite a short bill.
Wood Sandpiper - distinctive white speckles on a dark back, leggier than Green Sandpiper
Dunlin - the default small wader
Little Stint - much smaller than the Dunlin with very clean underparts.

Thank you! Would never have thought of a wood sandpiper for an id.
Can I just ask about a further picture please? There were just so many waders around a smallish pool that you didn't know quite where to look next.

Attachments

• wader 5.jpg
    wader 5.jpg
    988.1 KB · Views: 49
Hi SandraC, I will be visiting Suffolk (Eastbridge) in a couple of weeks time and would like to have a look at Aldeburgh Marshes. Can you let me know how is the best way to access them and where to get the best views? Just as a point of reference, I know Aldborough main street and the rough track at the end where you could park atop of the sea wall at one time.

Cheers
Dave

Hi SandraC, I will be visiting Suffolk (Eastbridge) in a couple of weeks time and would like to have a look at Aldeburgh Marshes. Can you let me know how is the best way to access them and where to get the best views? Just as a point of reference, I know Aldborough main street and the rough track at the end where you could park atop of the sea wall at one time.

Cheers
Dave
As no one seems to have replied to you (& in case you've not got the info elsewhere by now). Drive South through the middle of Aldeburgh heading for Slaughden Quay as you describe (pretty much immediately after the houses end). The estuary will be to your right and you want to park up near the footpath that follows the estuary inland (it is pay & display on the top level but seems to be free parking if you stick to the lower, right hand side of the road but best to check). Follow the footpath for about 3/4 mile - you will see the obvious muddy flashes on the grass marshes inside the sea wall. As you approach the footpath heads down the inside of the seawall and inland alongside the flashes but largely screened by reeds. Mainly a case of the benefits of the reed screen allowing the birds to be quite close versus the problems of seeing the closer birds over them!

Worth knowing that you will be viewing towards the West so into the sun if visiting towards the evening (light much better in the morning). Excellent selection of waders when we last visited.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back