• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk RSPB says cables plan will 'damage' nature reserves (2 Viewers)

It is not clear why this proposals are "nature-damaging proposals", nor what is the nature and the extent of the "damage".
Words are strong ("heavily impact"), but the concrete elements are missing.
Except the "scenic beauty". This is the first to be affected.
Someone has details?

It is not clear why this proposals are "nature-damaging proposals", nor what is the nature and the extent of the "damage".
Words are strong ("heavily impact"), but the concrete elements are missing.
Except the "scenic beauty". This is the first to be affected.
Someone has details?
Do you not think that installing a cable right across Minsmere and North Warren reserves will cause extensive and prolonged disturbance and damage? What about future maintenance?

I can tell you that all round Farnborough there is a national infrastructure pipeline project going on, roads, cycleways, paths and even people's entire gardens have been trashed and blocked for months, sometimes to the point where it is almost impossible to get in and out of the town. We've no idea when it is supposed to end, let alone whether it is on track to hit whatever the target date is.

This new proposal needs to be quashed asap. If it's about electricity distribution why not bring it onshore at Sizewell, which must already have the necessary distribution infrastructure?

John

Is it me, or does it imply tunnelling of the cables under minsmere? I know this is done without open trench in sensitive areas so I am unclear on the issue aside from lots of emotive language and not many facts.

Do you not think that installing a cable right across Minsmere and North Warren reserves will cause extensive and prolonged disturbance and damage? What about future maintenance?

I can tell you that all round Farnborough there is a national infrastructure pipeline project going on, roads, cycleways, paths and even people's entire gardens have been trashed and blocked for months, sometimes to the point where it is almost impossible to get in and out of the town. We've no idea when it is supposed to end, let alone whether it is on track to hit whatever the target date is.

This new proposal needs to be quashed asap. If it's about electricity distribution why not bring it onshore at Sizewell, which must already have the necessary distribution infrastructure?

John
The article is scarce in details and facts and strong in vocabulary and emotions. No word about pipelines, only electricity link.
For this kind of link, it will be a disturbance to install this, no doubt. During maintenance? I do not think so, the underground cables are well protected and maintenance is rara avis.

But why "extensive damage"? And what extensive means?
Damage to property? Right to pass?
Damage to the environment?
Is the damage irreparable?
Also, "heavily impact wildlife". Is this affirmation based on a study about the impact on the environment?

I am trying to understand the situation. With facts.

If wind farms will be installed, ... :eek:.

The article is scarce in details and facts and strong in vocabulary and emotions. No word about pipelines, only electricity link.
For this kind of link, it will be a disturbance to install this, no doubt. During maintenance? I do not think so, the underground cables are well protected and maintenance is rara avis.

But why "extensive damage"? And what extensive means?
Damage to property? Right to pass?
Damage to the environment?
Is the damage irreparable?
Also, "heavily impact wildlife". Is this affirmation based on a study about the impact on the environment?

I am trying to understand the situation. With facts.

If wind farms will be installed, ... :eek:.
You don't think that Adam Rowlands has done a lot more detailed and extensive work on the impact of the cable route and the facts presented in this news item are always going to be edited to a brief statement. The lack of 'deatils and facts' (as you put it) is not down to the RSPB and more the new outlet.

Being excessively critical is unnecessary and you seem to be arguing from the opposite side to the RSPB...

If you want facts look into it yourself.

You don't think that Adam Rowlands has done a lot more detailed and extensive work
I know nothing about the reputation of Adam Rowlands.

Being excessively critical is unnecessary and you seem to be arguing from the opposite side to the RSPB...
I am asking for details in order to understand the "heavily impact wildlife".
This kind of not wanted electric lines and wind farms is happening in other countries too.
I understand this is a 'local' issue and 'foreigners' are not welcome in the discussion.
o_O

I know nothing about the reputation of Adam Rowlands.

I am asking for details in order to understand the "heavily impact wildlife".
This kind of not wanted electric lines and wind farms is happening in other countries too.
I understand this is a 'local' issue and 'foreigners' are not welcome in the discussion.
o_O
Adam Rowlands is the site manager (head honcho) for RSPB Minsmere, one of the UK's absolute premier reserves (you can Google him and/or the reserve for more details). You could also Google Sizewell nuclear power station only a mile or so further along the coast: it currently houses 2 existing implementations with a third doubling the physical size of the plant recently given government approval to be built between the existing station and Minsmere reserve. Irrespective of ones feelings about that it seems blindingly obvious to bring the cables ashore at Sizewell where existing infrastructure exists. Personally I think that city-based pen pushers at these power companies think that there will be less opposition to installing these mega-cables across a nature reserve than through farmland or at the back of peoples houses (so Minsmere and North Warren look like cheap/easy options). And these are not small scale developments or ones that can just be done by tunnelling under the reserve irrespective of the current habitats and land use but major civil engineering projects. Foreigners of course welcome to comment/question :)

Adam Rowlands is the site manager (head honcho) for RSPB Minsmere, one of the UK's absolute premier reserves (you can Google him and/or the reserve for more details). You could also Google Sizewell nuclear power station only a mile or so further along the coast: it currently houses 2 existing implementations with a third doubling the physical size of the plant recently given government approval to be built between the existing station and Minsmere reserve. Irrespective of ones feelings about that it seems blindingly obvious to bring the cables ashore at Sizewell where existing infrastructure exists. Personally I think that city-based pen pushers at these power companies think that there will be less opposition to installing these mega-cables across a nature reserve than through farmland or at the back of peoples houses (so Minsmere and North Warren look like cheap/easy options). And these are not small scale developments or ones that can just be done by tunnelling under the reserve irrespective of the current habitats and land use but major civil engineering projects. Foreigners of course welcome to comment/question :)
Much clearer. Thank you.
I googled the nuclear power station, read about the 2007 events ...

Documents here

The proposal is to run trenchless. Trenchless is less impact than open cut but not without impact. There are limits to how far you can drive so there will be large launch pits and cleared space for the launch machinery every so often (I know pipelines not cables so don't know what the interval between these will be)

Route selection is not easy. There might be (and probably are) sound technical reasons why they can't just bring the cables ashore at Sizewell.

The RSPB are very political. They know how to play the game to maximise their leverage. Making a big fuss regardless of the materiality of the impact gives them a better chance of driving some concessions about the routing. So I wouldn't put too much weight on the emotive language....

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back