• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suffolk birding next week (1 Viewer)

kryptora

We will be going to Suffolk next week (Westleton) - can any Suffolk birders let me know what there is about - paritcularly Minsmere.

With many thanks

Phil,
at Minsmere at the moment 3 smew are fairly regular,little and iceland gulls,ruff and spotted redshank. Marsh harriers are always easy to see, and bittern with a little luck and patience.Look out for bearded tit in the reeds,and cettis warbler (think they call this time of year?) Black redstart breed near the sizewell power station (although I've never seen them), and if you're over that way there are 2 pairs of barn owl in the area called kentish hills,which is much quieter than minsmere but equally rewarding given the time it deserves. Hope this helps, if you need anymore info then let me know, im at uni at the moment but go to minsmere every week when im home.
jim

I’ve been down to Minsmere today and there is quite a lot of activity right now, and it can only get better!

This is a scan of Saturday’s ‘What's About’ sheet.

Regards javva ;)

Birds to look for on the reserve:
These species should all be present, even if not counted.
12 March 2005
The Scrape and Levels:
Avocet 63
Black-tailed god wit . 14
Dunlin 86
Redshank 3
Snipe 12
Lapwing 850
Ringed plover 7
Oystercatcher 4 Curlew
Ruff 1
Teal 440+
Wigeon 700+
Shoveler 120+
Gadwall 90+
Shelduck 25
Pintail 7
Little egret 1 White-fronted geese (Levels)
Reedbed and Island Mere:
Bittern 2+ Marsh harrier 6+ Bearded tit 30
Cetti's warbler 7
Reed bunting 1+
Hen harrier
Pochard 8
Tufted duck 18
Goldeneye 4(lm,3f)
Gadwall
Shoveler
Little grebe
Coot 6+
Water rail
Kingfisher
Barn owl
Snipe 15+
Woodland and scrub:
Green woodpecker 3+
Great spotted woodpecker 3+
Nuthatch (Canopy Hide) 2+
Treecreeper
Marsh tit
Redwing
Fieldfare
Gold crest
Brambling
Bullfinch
Dunes:
Meadow pipit
Stonechat
Offshore:
Red-throated diver Great crested grebe Guillemot

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back