• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Study Trip To Finland - Advice needed. (1 Viewer)

Xurek

Och aye!
Hi Everyone,

I have recently found out that I have gained the opportunity to complete part of my degree in Finland. I will be based in Rovaniemi for nearly four months from August 29th - December 21st 2012. The opportunity is exciting in itself but my mind is immediately jumping to thinking about the bird watching experiences I could possibly have. I have only been bird watching "seriously" for the last 3 years and still getting to grips with UK birds so Finland really is new to me. I am not familiar with the area at all and what species including specialities I have the chance of seeing. I am asking for help for people to make me more aware of what is over there so I don't come home and find out I missed something special due to lack of knowledge / experience.

So I would very much appreciate any advice on everything bird around Rovaniemi including species, sites or links to books or resources you recommend I purchase / research before I go out there.

Being a student I won't have a lot of money or access to my own transport but is there any areas that I could realistically visit that is really worth finding my way to?

Great Grey Owl would of course be a dream come true to see and I am guessing a guided tour would be my best bet, any advice?

From my limited knowledge other species I would be keen to see are Capercaillie, Black Grouse, Black and Three-toed Woodpecker, Siberian Tit, Siberian Jay, Pine Grosbeak and if I can get enough luck a Nutcracker. Any information on these species or links would be great.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post I would really appreciate any advice if you have some as I really want to make the most of this trip of a lifetime.

Sam

Hi Everyone,

I have recently found out that I have gained the opportunity to complete part of my degree in Finland. I will be based in Rovaniemi for nearly four months from August 29th - December 21st 2012. The opportunity is exciting in itself but my mind is immediately jumping to thinking about the bird watching experiences I could possibly have. I have only been bird watching "seriously" for the last 3 years and still getting to grips with UK birds so Finland really is new to me. I am not familiar with the area at all and what species including specialities I have the chance of seeing. I am asking for help for people to make me more aware of what is over there so I don't come home and find out I missed something special due to lack of knowledge / experience.

So I would very much appreciate any advice on everything bird around Rovaniemi including species, sites or links to books or resources you recommend I purchase / research before I go out there.

Being a student I won't have a lot of money or access to my own transport but is there any areas that I could realistically visit that is really worth finding my way to?

Great Grey Owl would of course be a dream come true to see and I am guessing a guided tour would be my best bet, any advice?

From my limited knowledge other species I would be keen to see are Capercaillie, Black Grouse, Black and Three-toed Woodpecker, Siberian Tit, Siberian Jay, Pine Grosbeak and if I can get enough luck a Nutcracker. Any information on these species or links would be great.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post I would really appreciate any advice if you have some as I really want to make the most of this trip of a lifetime.

Sam

If I were you I would try and get in contact with a local bird group maybe through or with the university - if that is where you are going. Most of the owls, Capercaille, Grouse and woodpeckers should be in the vacinity of Roveniemi but finding them is another question!

Without transport life will be harder.

Finnish birders travel big distances but can be fairly secretive.

On the web you should be able to find old bird reports from that area. Un frozen water in December could be productive....

I stayed at Rovaniemi for Xmas 2008 when I got married there. Waxwings everywhere & I was given a spot within the city where 3 Pine Grosbeaks were, They can be found in city gardens and I cant remember the website which provides updates. Also Grey-Headed Woodpecker was present (notseen by me), Three-Toed Woodpecker are said to over-winter in timber yard near Rovaniemi railway station (again I dipped). Plenty of Redpolls around including a few Arctic's. Siberian jay and Tit certainly possible around the city.

Check out Finnature's website, they offer Great Grey Owl photogrpahy workshops in winter, around Oulu and perhaps towards Rovaniemi. They are costly but you may be able to negotiate a lower price to find out where to watch them.

Thank you very much rosbifs and wolfbirder for the info, that's a great start.

Any links to local bird groups or local site information in English would be very much appreciated. I have had a quick look so far myself and I am struggling to find some decent websites in English.

Sam

Thank you for the links McMadd.

I am really to keen to purchase any books or find some resource online that could give some detailed info on specific birding sites something similar to "where to what birds in..." books.

Flying out to Finland on Thursday, quite excited. Will report back as much information as I can when I return after Christmas.

Flying out to Finland on Thursday, quite excited. Will report back as much information as I can when I return after Christmas.

They do have the internet in Finland...it's quite an advanced country all things considered...you might want to visit a place call Nokia...I hear that's quite famous for something or other...

Don't be a stranger :t:

McM

They do have the internet in Finland...it's quite an advanced country all things considered...you might want to visit a place call Nokia...I hear that's quite famous for something or other...

Don't be a stranger :t:

McM

Haha I meant more that I would write a full report when I return, but yes I now have internet access so I can report any interesting sightings on here.

One of my most wanted birds to see over here was the Nutcracker and there seems to be an influx of them in Rovaniemi just now, seeing them daily, a few within less than 10 feet, so it's a good start.

Suggest you try to find out more about this...

"Pallas´ Sandgrouse, Syrrhaptes paradoxus; Rovaniemi (N-Finland). One seen briefly near Povarivaara, 9th record for Finland if accepted (source: Lintutiedotus)"

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back