• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Strumpshaw fen meadow (1 Viewer)

Karl J

Didn't know if this should go in ''Other Wildllife'' or in here .... it fits in both, but feel free to move it if appropriate.

Been having a few rather amateur go's at identifying wildflowers over the last few weeks, on Strumpshaw meadow and surounds. An enjoyable challenge.

This is what the RSPB info leaflet ( which names about 200 flowers, grasses, sedges etc which grow there ) says about the area, forgive me the 'cut & paste' but their explanation is far better than any I could give :

Fen meadows are the most botanically diverse habitat in the UK. Once a widespread habitat in Broadland, most have been destroyed by agricultural intensification, and the meadows at Strumpshaw are probably the best remaining example. The meadows are maintained by mowing for hay every 2 years and light cattle grazing in the intervening year. The soils range from calcareous to slightly acid damp peats, with drier silty and sandy ridges, and support a community rich in sedges and rushes, including several scarce species.

On the meadow itself

Bittersweet -- Solanum dulcamara
Black Medick -- Medicago lupulina
Common Meadow-rue -- Thalictrum flavum
Common Mouse-ear -- Cerastium fontanum
Common Knapweed -- Centaurea nigra
Common Sorrel -- Rumex acetosa
Common Spotted Orchid -- Dactylorhiza fuchsii
Early Marsh Orchid -- Dactylorhiza incarnata
Germander Speedwell -- Veronica chamaedrys
Greater Birdsfoot Trefoil -- Lotus uliginosus
Hedge Bindweed -- Calystegia sepium
Lesser Spearwort -- Ranunculus flammula
Marsh ( or Fen ???? ) Bedstraw -- Galium palustre ( or uliginosum ) ... not sure on this one
Marsh Cinquefoil -- Potentilla palustris
Marsh Helleborine -- Epipactus palustris
Marsh Marigold -- Caltha palustris
Marsh Ragwort -- Senecio aquaticus
Marsh Thistle -- Cirsium palustre
Marsh Willowherb -- Epilobium palustre
Marsh Woundwort -- Stachys palustris
Meadow Buttercup -- Ranunculus acris
Meadow Thistle -- Cirsium dissectum
Purple Loosestrife -- Lythrum salicaria
Ragged Robin -- Lychnis flos-cuculi
Red Campion -- Silene Dioica
Red Clover -- Trifolium pratense
Redshank -- Polygonum persicaria
Southern Marsh Orchid -- Dactylorhiza pratermissa
Spear Thistle -- Cirsium vulgare
Tufted Vetch -- Vicia cragga
Water Figwort -- Scrophularia auriculata
Water Forget-me-not -- Myosotis scorpioides
Water Soldier -- Stratiotes aloides
White Clover -- Trifolium repens
White Waterlily -- Nymphaea alba
Yellow Loosestrife -- Lysimachia vulgaris
Yellow Rattle -- Rhinanthus minor

Common cotton-grass -- Eriophorum angustifolium
Quaking grass -- Briza media
Yorkshire fog grass -- Holcus lanatus
Common Reed -- Phragmites australis

Alder -- Alnus glutinosa
Dog Rose -- Rosa canina
Bramble -- Rubus fruticosus
Willow -- Salix alba

Around other areas of the reserve and the ~ 100m stretch of adjacent lane

Birdsfoot Trefoil
Bugle
Bush Vetch ( ..... I think )
Common Cleavers ( goosegrass )
Common Fumitory
Common Mallow
Common Stinging Nettle
Common Poppy
Common Ragwort
Dandelion
Daisy
Great Willowherb
Ground Ivy
Hedge Woundwort
Herb Robert
Marsh marigold -- Caltha palustris
Pineapple mayweed
Field Bindweed
Red Campion
Red Dead-nettle
Rosebay Willowherb
Slender Thistle
White Campion
Yellow Iris
Yellow Water Lily

Have to go back sometime and look into a few ?'s maybe ..... Greater Spearwort, Skullcap, Selfheal, and some of the rushes, sedges & grasses which time hasn't so far allowed

Last edited:
I think it's pretty good - although I haven't got anything to compare it to as I don;t go out of the area.

Other animals ...... seen my one and only Bank vole swimming along a ditch the other week, and dawn & dusk the Chinese Water Deer come about sometimes.

The ditches on the meadow are pretty good for dragonfly - get Norfolk Hawker ( yes ok..... bit of a boast there ! ) & quite a few others as well.

Butterflys - - Comma, Red Admiral, Whites, Orange Tip, Painted Lady, Swallowtail, Sm Tortoiseshell, Holly Blue, a lot of Meadow Brown & Small Heath about recently ... think I saw 3 Small Skipper the other day - not 100 % though.

Did see several 6 -spot Burnet the other day feeding on Greater Birdsfoot Trefoil..... never seen them before.

Hi Carlos

Seems you know the place back to front and inside-out! Perhaps you could help me as I will be visiting that part soon - I know it's a bit late for norfolk hawker and swallowtail - can you give me some on-site directions for the best spots for these too? What about How Hill NR as well?
The books suggest that July is a *bad* time to be going - do you think there will still be odd individs on the wing?

Any help much appreciated

Regards

Rob

Well the 1st brood of Swallowtail has nearly gone - only saw 1 on Saturday, but there is a 2nd one - perhaps a couple of weeks away - July / Aug but they can be a little less well coloured. ''Best'' place .... well, there's a little circular trail along Lackford Run (a part of the reserve) - past the house at the end of the dusty lane & over the railway line ..... where they're seen quite regularly. If you ask in the main reception you can get a map of the reserve which makes the directions a bit easier to understand !
But can also see them around the reserve generally, and on the meadow.

Norfolk Hawker .... there were still a lot around last weekend, inc. several newly emerged but after this weeks appalling weather I wouldn't have though many will remain. There are other sp. about though - ''best'' place - for NH the ditches on the meadow, but different parts of the reserve hold different species. If you have a few hours just wander right round. Along the ditches on the meadow, and out from Fen Hide can be 2 good areas for seeing dragonfly generally not just NH

White Admiral butterfly should be about soon as well .... and can be seen at Strumpshaw.

Good time right now for Marsh Harrier, spending a lot of time hunting - right over the middle of the reserve. The views of them from Tower Hide can be quite impressive, I think. Also get Bearded Tit, Sedgies, Cettis', Hobby etc

How Hill ... never been there - sorry.

Hope thats of some use.

One favour to ask in return .... if you go along, any chance of a post ? I'd be really interested to know what a visitor makes of the area.

Last edited:
Hi Carlos

Many thanks for those details. Much appreciated.

If I am reading you right, I shouldn't have high expectations of seeing either target species!

Looking at the the map, I am a stone's throw away from How Hill so may try my luck there first before going down to Strumpshaw. I've been there before birding but never at the right time for these two...

If I do go, I will certainly post a message

Regards

Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back