• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stop-over in Singapore in July (1 Viewer)

David L C

United Kingdom
Hello all – I'm looking for some help in finding a guide for long day's stop-over birding in Singapore in mid-July. I've had two quotes so far, both of which are outrageously expensive i.e. about three times what my very good guide cost in Hong Kong a few years ago, and substantially more than a professional guide would cost in the UK. If anyone can help with suggestions for budget guiding, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, David

Why not go it alone? You should have enough time to get over to somewhere like Sentosa Island and the Botanical Gardens.
Yes, that's something I was considering, but I'm not familiar with Singaporean birds and wanted to maximise my time, as they say. Also, I suspect guides would have stake-outs for owls, etc. But that's certainly an option ...

If you are close to the airport take the bum boat over to Pulau Ubin and hire a bicycle or just have a walk around. Buy a guide book for SE Asia before you go and just enjoy the birds you see.
That seems like the option I'll have to take. I have a field guide and would enjoy the birds anyway, but the more the merrier :)

I have at least one evening into night there. Colugo would be brilliant! do you have any sites or tips?
Unfortunately when I went there I didn't know this but the best site seems to be the zoo - I know that sounds dodgy but they are wild animals. They can occasionally be seen during the day but you really need to visit at night. When I looked into it, that was possible. A Google search or going to the Singapore section of mammalwatching.com should give you the details.

My wife and I will be there for a few days at the end of May and again in mid June, it seems that the night safari is the best chance of catching up with Colugo, otherwise the top end of Bukit Tingi road near the international schools currently has a female with offspring.
There are numerous resources online for birding; ebird, Singapore birds, various facebook sites, cloudbirders etc. The best advise I can give is to select some target species or sites, download the calls from Xeno and keep an eye on ebird. Enjoy!

We spent a week in Singapore a few years back, excellent place for birding. There's a short report attached with some destination ideas (many covered above) species seen, how to get to some of the sites and a few pics.

Attachments

• Singapore 2019.pdf
    15 MB · Views: 27
My wife and I will be there for a few days at the end of May and again in mid June, it seems that the night safari is the best chance of catching up with Colugo, otherwise the top end of Bukit Tingi road near the international schools currently has a female with offspring.
There are numerous resources online for birding; ebird, Singapore birds, various facebook sites, cloudbirders etc. The best advise I can give is to select some target species or sites, download the calls from Xeno and keep an eye on ebird. Enjoy!
I have visited Singapore on four occasions and have seen Colugo three times during the day at Hindhede Nature Reserve at the base of Bukit Timah. From the main car park take the trail towards the quarry and check the trees in the vicinity of the children’s playground. The Colugos often sit in plain site on the bare trunks.

Attachments

• P1210672.jpeg
    P1210672.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
  • P1210676.jpeg
    P1210676.jpeg
    824.2 KB · Views: 14
I have visited Singapore on four occasions and have seen Colugo three times during the day at Hindhede Nature Reserve at the base of Bukit Timah. From the main car park take the trail towards the quarry and check the trees in the vicinity of the children’s playground. The Colugos often sit in plain site on the bare trunks.
Thanks!

Hello all – I'm looking for some help in finding a guide for long day's stop-over birding in Singapore in mid-July. I've had two quotes so far, both of which are outrageously expensive i.e. about three times what my very good guide cost in Hong Kong a few years ago, and substantially more than a professional guide would cost in the UK. If anyone can help with suggestions for budget guiding, I'd be very grateful.

Cheers, David
I also think that doing it on your own is a good solution, I have been a couple of times to Singapore on business trips and I found that the walk up Bukit Timah was very worthwhile and you can see some species that for some reason or another are easier to see than in Peninsular Malaysia, or were then...

I could send you a list if you are interested. You need a field guide to the birds of Peninsular Malaysia to cover that country...

Cheers, Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back