• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stop a lizard! (1 Viewer)

bclark2hb

Hi all,

First time poster but have had several years of a mama or two hummingbirds build a nest right outside my front door. I am always respectful of their space and try to make as little impact on them as possible!

This is the first year I have seen this: a lizard a few branches away from the nest staring at the babies! I heard mama bird freaking out and walked outside. She was swirling around the nest flapping and making a bunch of noise. I happened to look above the nest and saw the lizard! It was roughly 6-7 inches long. I grabbed a piece of a cardboard box and began lightly hitting the lizard to scare it off. It quickly ran off, down the tree, and into a bush.

My concern now is that it’ll come back! Any suggestions on what I can do to keep the lizard away short of being anxious for the next 3 weeks till the babies are old enough to leave the nest???

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Hard to say just what to do w/o scaring off the parents. I truly think the hummers will start to attack the lizard if it gets too close to the nest but let's see what others have to say about this.

Yeah I’m afraid to scare off mama bird. I hope I didn’t already by going out there and scaring off the lizard. My saving grace is that the nest is literally by my front door and I’m sure this is either the mama that keeps coming back or a baby of one of the previous mamas. She’s definitely used to my wife and I walking in and out of the house. But ya never know!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back