• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Steller's eagle (1 Viewer)

Stuart there another places where I can take pictures of those birds? Just drive along the coast and they are seating on trees, electrical towers?

Mietek

You should see them everywhere on the east coast between Nemuro and Rausu. They often perch on the beach, trees, concrete beach defences and atop streetlights etc. They are always flying about too. You'll see plenty.

It has been a very mild winter so far this year (it's raining outside as I type this but I live in the milder south of Hokkaido) but the cold usually hits in mid December, I'm sure Lake Furen will be frozen by the time you arrive. Lake Furen does have places where the eagles gather on the ice, if you stay at Matsuo's lodge at Furen-ko he will be able to tell you more details.

Don't worry you'll see lots of eagles. Also the Cranes/Eagles at Akan and the Owls at Rausu will still be there. The only thing you may miss if you come in January (as I said above) is the eagles on the sea ice from the boat trip at Rausu (unfortunately this would be the highlight of any winter trip to Hokkaido).

I attach a couple of shots from last weekend, even where I live in south Hokkaido it's easy to find and photograph them. You'll be fine in northeast Hokkaido in January.

Attachments

• _MG_0044.jpg
    _MG_0044.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_0276.jpg
    _MG_0276.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 55
I tried to change my flight ticket to February, but ANA is absolutely not fair. I would lost more then 90% of my ticket price. It's first time I have such experience.
Nevertheless, I'm sure, I'll have a good trip.

regards

Mietek

I tried to change my flight ticket to February, but ANA is absolutely not fair. I would lost more then 90% of my ticket price. It's first time I have such experience.

If an economy ticket, most tickets tend to be non-refundable and non-changeable. ANA is quite fair, as it will be stated in the ticket conditions at time of purchase.

But fortunately, Hokkaido is sure to be excellent in January too :)

As Jos says, that is the nature of discounted economy tickets unfortunately.

I did a quick check on google and it seems some of the boats at Rausu do run from late January depending on the state of the sea ice. This may be too late for you however.

One good point about coming in January is that you will miss the crowds (or even hordes) of birders/photographers that hit northeast Hokkaido in mid February. I couldn't believe how many there were last time I was in that part of Hokkaido. It'll be much easier booking hotels etc.

Jos,
I have another experience with e.g. China Eastern. I'm traveling a very frequently to China and have had, two or three time to cancell or to chang my flight data. Always no Problem, even for economy class. They charge just a fee of 100 Euro, but not, almost the whole ticket Price.

Regards

Mietek

8th -14th Feb

One good point about coming in January is that you will miss the crowds (or even hordes) of birders/photographers that hit northeast Hokkaido in mid February. I couldn't believe how many there were last time I was in that part of Hokkaido. It'll be much easier booking hotels etc.

We will be in Hokkaido 8th-14th Feb hopefully late enough for the sea ice but before the crowds (just realised we are probably part of the crowd).

Stuart, soon it's so far, on this Thursday I'll go to Kushiro. I'm following the weather report on Hokkaido, so I'm afraid, there si still to warm and e.g. lake Kussharo, or Furen is stil not frozen.
Do you think it make sens to hire an guide to go to good place for Stellar's eagle?
I've read on Sunbirds.com report from February last year and this guy has used a guide on Nemuro area.

Mietek

It's gotten a little colder, you may be OK.

If you go to those places I mentioned before you'll definitely see Stellers Sea Eagles. The minshuku owner on Lake Furen does guiding I think.

I've arrived Hokkaido on January 8th, but because of a fatality in my family, I've had rush back to Europe. So I left Hokkaido on Sunday January 10th, but i'll come again. I'm quite sure.

Mietek

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back