• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Squirrels (1 Viewer)

EK_Birds

OK,quick searched yielded nothing, but not searching 40 pages worth !!

Soooooo, nice simple question....

Are there any foods you can put out for the birds that squirrels WILL NOT eat ?

I don't think so...:-C

however, some people have had luck using suet with red hot peppers in it? Honestly, I don't think there is such a thing as 100% squirrel proof...|<|

I know from experience that chilli and curry mixtures in various food types has no effect.

Maybe Glasgow squirrels are just a harder breed !!

Last edited:
Anything that birds eat, squirrels will eat too! I'm starting to think that the squirrels are starting to believe that they're actually birds too!

I'm having the same problem here in CAN. I've had 5 squirrels attacking various feeders at one time. I've swapped the important ones (read: the LARGE ones) to Safflower seeds. I've read that squirrels do not like them, or at least not enough to empty a feeder. Thankfully Grackles don't either, they've been swamping my feeders and cleaning them out in just a few hours!
It's very annoying, I even leave shelled and unshelled peanuts on a platform just for them and the lovely Jays.
So far, nothing has touched the Safflower (except a Cardinal). We'll see how it goes. I'm guessing it will take them a few weeks to adjust. I only mixed my finch feeder 1/2 and 1/2 sunflower and safflower, and I will continue feeding the sunflower, but only in the ones close to my house so I can sick the dogs on them :p

Good luck!!

i have only one squirrel to deal with.i have a platform type feeder just off the ground with mostly corn and sunflower seeds. the sqirrel doesn't bother with the other feeders and some birds feed there also.

I know this is off the topic but had to show you 2 out of the 4 little ones eating off my feeder....

Attachments

• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 69
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back