• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotter Recommendation (1 Viewer)

Tracker12

I am looking for a new (used) spotter. Was thinking of an ED50 but really would prefer something in the 65mm size and capability to use a fixed or zoom. I mostly wildlife view often times in the western US at long distances. FOV is important to me as well as eye relief. Weight is not a consideration. What good Japanese made spotter should I consider?

Highly regarded Nikon ED, from 60mm to 82mm:
Or:
Or:
Or:
Or:
Or:

There are some better deals on the bay, these are the minty ones I was watching.

Those are good options for sure I do Want to stay with an angled spotter. Is there. big difference between ED, EDII, ED III

Those are good options for sure I do Want to stay with an angled spotter. Is there. big difference between ED, EDII, ED III
Here's an angled with 20-45 zoom, angled are designated with an A: [MINT] Nikon Field Scope ED II A D=60 P +20-45x 25-56x Eyepiece From Japan | eBay

The Fieldscope 1, which can be found with ED glass won't accept later eyepieces, and IDK if an angled version was made. The ED II will take later EPs and the same for the EDIII, it is also waterproof. There are Fieldscopes that do not have ED glass (no red band), probably worth getting one that does(ED will be on the side of later and on the objective of the FS1 along with red band)
Early example and least ugly:) IMO, ED: Excellent++ Nikon ED D=60 P Fieldscope Spotting Scope Telescope w/20x #1933 | eBay

There are plenty of reviews on the Nikon Fieldscopes, a lot to wade through, I've just been though there, and picked up an ED78 with 38WF eyepiece.
Spend some time looking into EPs, some are better than others. the later 20-60 zoom is considered better than the 20-45 etc. Prime wides are a plus 24X, 30X etc.

Optically little to chose between EDII and EDIII but the latter is waterproof so more sought after. The non-ED version is okay, but if you're regularly going above 20/30x magnification I'd definitely go for ED.

You'll have a good range of possible wide field eye pieces with the fieldscopes if you can get hold of one. The monarch only has one wide field eye piece - the 38x. It's also made in China if that matters to you - I have one, they're good scopes.

If you can find a good sample the edg scope also has a wide range of wide field fixed eye pieces but is a heavy old beast.

Last edited:
Just a reminder that Marcoul discovered (and I can confirm) that the full range of Nikon EDG eyepieces work beautifully in the Monarch spotting scopes. The Monarch scopes are first rate when coupled with the high quality EDG fixed or Baader Hyperion zoom eyepieces.

Local guy has this one. It looks like a Fieldscope but no red line . Will it be marked ED II or ED III. It’s not angled but thinking of looking at it to at least give me an idea what to expect from this model.
IMG_1154.png

Last edited:
Also have an opportunity to pick up this ED50 with 27W eyepiece for $340. Seems like a good value. Just wish it was angled.

Attachments

• Image.jpeg
    Image.jpeg
    707.3 KB · Views: 5
Local guy has this one. It looks like a Fieldscope but no red line . Will it be marked ED II or ED III. It’s not angled but thinking of looking at it to at least give me an idea what to expect from this model.
The photo shows a Fieldscope III. Not the ED version, the "normal" one. The eyepiece is a 20-60x zoom, looks like the second version. A pretty good scope with a pretty good eyepiece. Waterproof, as opposed to the Fieldscope II (all versions). Optically it's not as good as the ED II or the EDIII - slightly lower contrast even at low magnifications, visible CA at higher magnifications (above ~30-35x). A very robust scope.

Hermann

Also have an opportunity to pick up this ED50 with 27W eyepiece for $340. Seems like a good value. Just wish it was angled.
I agree, it's a good price if the scope and the eyepiece are OK (no scratches, no dust/fungus inside, focuser smooth and without play etc.). Check the tripod bush though. It should be a solid steel bush.

Hermann

Just a reminder that Marcoul discovered (and I can confirm) that the full range of Nikon EDG eyepieces work beautifully in the Monarch spotting scopes. The Monarch scopes are first rate when coupled with the high quality EDG fixed or Baader Hyperion zoom eyepieces.
How interesting. I've had a wanted advert up for ages looking for a used 38x fixed for my monarch - they never come up used - well I say never I've seen one that had gone as I saw it. Do they just slot straight in or need adapters? I see them come up used quite a lot and just want a decent, wide 30-40x fixed.

The photo shows a Fieldscope III. Not the ED version, the "normal" one. The eyepiece is a 20-60x zoom, looks like the second version. A pretty good scope with a pretty good eyepiece. Waterproof, as opposed to the Fieldscope II (all versions). Optically it's not as good as the ED II or the EDIII - slightly lower contrast even at low magnifications, visible CA at higher magnifications (above ~30-35x). A very robust scope.

Hermann
Thanks for the info. T hat was very helpful!

This is the seller I bought my ED78 from, it arrived today, free Fedex shipping, 2 days from Japan to Maine. Impeccably packaged, beautiful scope, solid build, stunning image quality, thoroughly satisfied. If I wasn't, return shipping is paid by seller. Top notch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back