• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotted Nutcracker in July Black Forest? (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

How easy are these birds at Triberger Falls near Triberg?

I am considering cheap flights to Strasbourg, driving to Black Forest staying overnight before flying back later that day.

Nutcracker is my sole target really, so need to find out how reliable they are there. Some information suggests they are easy as they feed on nuts, but is this only at certain times of year?

Info regards any alternative easier spots would be appreciated.

500,000 visitors per year... are you sure you wanna go?
They apparently feed on peanuts that are usually handed out to the squirrels. Buy the peanuts beforehand: they are expensive at the falls!
Bad weather appears to be better (fewer visitors).

I just want to see them well . Its a species it seems really hard to get good site info on. At present I can get return flights with Ryan air for £35 quid. But wondered if they were there all year round?

If you don't find them at the falls (no idea how reliable this site is), best do a hike in the forest of the higher altitudes, e.g. around Feldberg or northern Black Forest (Hornisgrinde).

FWIW, ornitho.de says a Nutcracker was spotted on Friday on the Feldberg, around this area (screengrab from the site, in case you can't access it).

Another one yesterday at the Wilder See (or Wildsee) in Baiersbronn (east of Offenburg).

Attachments

• tannenhäher.jpg
    tannenhäher.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Can't really tell, I guess in winter they come down lower. I can't really remember seeing them much in winter (during Sking or so), but in summer, I see them basically on every hike I do. I'm sure, if you go a weekend hiking in the upper areas of Black Forest or in the Alps, you will see them. Feldberg and the area around the Wildsee mentionned by Sangahyando is nice for birding (although I know you are not after other targets), you have chances for Three-toed WP, Cirl bunting and (slim chances) for Citril Finch and Capercaille there as well.

Sorry Andre, as you can see I am still trying to work out the easiest way to get to see them. I have nearly booked Switzerland previously but accommodation is difficult/expensive.

Getting accommodation in Switzerland should be a doddle, as it has priced itself out of the market completely! So yes, the "expensive" is true (but plenty of camp sites, just take along muesli bars).

Sorry Andre, as you can see I am still trying to work out the easiest way to get to see them. I have nearly booked Switzerland previously but accommodation is difficult/expensive.

In winter is possible to see them also around munich.
But only some reports made ( I saw only one in winter ).
May is quite good time, if you also see some other birds.
But june is also ok.

If you want save money, take sleeping bag with you and make biwak in the mountains or nearby.
Here in Munich you can sleep also at river Isar.

In this time of the year is also good for Red-footed Falcon ( saw 1-2 every last 3 weekends ).
Also Short-toed Eagle is reported last 5 weekends near the Alps.

Last edited:
In winter is possible to see them also around munich.
But only some reports made ( I saw only one in winter ).
May is quite good time, if you also see some other birds.
But june is also ok.

If you want save money, take sleeping bag with you and make biwak in the mountains or nearby.
Here in Munich you can sleep also at river Isar.

In this time of the year is also good for Red-footed Falcon ( saw 1-2 every last 3 weekends ).
Also Short-toed Eagle is reported last 5 weekends near the Alps.

Thanks for that Albatross
:t:

Bit old for doing that any more mate. Need my creature comforts.

I have tried at Triberger Wasserfaelle already several time. Summer seems to be hopeless. Also crowds of visitors. Starting from October - than early morning - is much better. As mentioned they feed on the peanuts for the squirrels, usually quite close to the (2) entrances.

I have tried at Triberger Wasserfaelle already several time. Summer seems to be hopeless. Also crowds of visitors. Starting from October - than early morning - is much better. As mentioned they feed on the peanuts for the squirrels, usually quite close to the (2) entrances.

Ah, thanks very much for that important information Johannes. Really appreciated.

The beauty of Birdforum, saved me a wasted trip:t:

I went in early August and saw 2 beautiful Nutcrackers without much difficulty. Also present were Eurasian Jays. Not sure if the Nutcrackers are always present but it did appear they were there for the peanuts and thus probably visit frequently. Nutcrackers are part of the Corvid family and thus are very smart and know very well what they're doing.

Just take the touristic waterfall trail and you'll notice the area of the busiest wildlife activity, all manner of birds and squirrels are very active in this area where people offer peanuts to the animals.

Attachments

• 20666348836_6db0ef2f10_k.jpg
    20666348836_6db0ef2f10_k.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 104
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back