• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southwest in April/May? (2 Viewers)

Nohatch

Mad scientist
Hi everyone,

I'm planning a trip to the SW USA next year and was hoping you could give me an idea of what to expect weather-wise. We're thinking of going in the last week of April and first two of May; doing the classic RV national parks circuit in southern UT, northern AZ and west to Yosemite & San Francisco. My worry is that the weather will not be good enough yet (too cold, last winter snow?). However, our next window of opportunity is in June (too hot & busy?). Any advice is much appreciated!

N

Which areas are you thinking of in terms of southwest Arizona? Most birders go to the 'southeast', or at least the areas south and east of Tucson.

Hi Andrew,

I don't think we'll go south of the i-40 (maybe with a day in Sedona) - it's going to be a family trip with a 1.5-year old in tow, and we're a bit limited in time. The plan now is to do something like Vegas - Zion - Arches - Grand Canyon - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Francisco. Still plenty of nice birding opportunities :)

N

Hi Andrew,

I don't think we'll go south of the i-40 (maybe with a day in Sedona) - it's going to be a family trip with a 1.5-year old in tow, and we're a bit limited in time. The plan now is to do something like Vegas - Zion - Arches - Grand Canyon - Death Valley - Yosemite - San Francisco. Still plenty of nice birding opportunities :)

N

Ah, sorry - I misread your first post. The Sedona area is worth visiting for a few more southern species such as Painted Redstart, Bridled Titmouse, Common Black Hawk etc. Check my trip report (from last year) on here for more details on sites in the area.

Several years ago I visited a lot of those places in November and it was a bit chilly but not too bad - I suspect early May will generally be fine, except perhaps in the highest mountains. I didn't see anything particularly exceptional but you should find a wide range of typical forest species e.g. Pygmy Nuthatch, various woodpeckers etc.

Thanks! It would be nice to see a few of the AZ forest specialties so might include Sedona in the itinerary.

N

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back