• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Jersey thread (8 Viewers)

I went down to Cape May today. Even though I have lived in south NJ most of my life, I never went solely to bird. Well, it was everything that I had heard. I stopped at the Cape May Bird Observatory and for some reason there was a swarm of warblers there, along with an expert from the Nature Conservancy. He was rattling off birds one after another. We got: redstart, parula, Cape may, blue winged, Tennessee, orange crowned, prairie, and black and white warblers. And brown thrasher, scarlet Tanager, and yellow throated video. And raptors omg. I saw at least a dozen sharpies/cooper's and some broad winged, red shouldered, eagles, and a bunch of others too far to ID. What a great birding day!

Yellow rumped warblers have been swarming S Jersey last couple weeks, pretty much to the exclusion of all others. Find fruiting cedars, and you'll find yellow rumps.

Fosythe NWR update...Looks like the fall migration is pretty much over. Tons of yellow rumped warblers overwintering along with the usual winter birds. Ducks are everywhere - shovelers, green teals, ruddies, hoodies, buffleheads, blacks, pintails, ring necks. I heard that a group of atlantic white pelicans was spotted a couple weeks ago. Lots of peeps, I could only id white rumped and least pipers, but I'm sure there were many others. Also a couple weeks ago a sage thrasher appeared, and was quite a celeb for a few days. The resident bald eagle family is spending more time here now. The merlins that enthralled me for a while are gone, sigh.

Attachments

• DSC_9066.JPG
    DSC_9066.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 4
  • DSC_8664.JPG
    DSC_8664.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_7761.JPG
    DSC_7761.JPG
    423.4 KB · Views: 4
  • DSC_8135.JPG
    DSC_8135.JPG
    319 KB · Views: 4
Hi Dak, it was nice to see you again at FNWR. The yellow rumped warblers were the highlight of the day for me. I will post a few photos later. I may get there tomorrow as well, if work permits. Next week seems to be much colder.

Hi Ed! Welcome to Birdforum. I'd love to see some photos. You can post them in the gallery as well, under the north america section.

I saw 2 pregrines out on the drive today, but the light was terrible and the photos all looked like greyscale. Into the trash bin..

Here are a few from Monday.

Attachments

• IMG_8480 copy.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8418 copy.jpg
    IMG_8418 copy.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8394 copy.jpg
    IMG_8394 copy.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8368 copy.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8285 copy.jpg
    IMG_8285 copy.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8202 copy.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_8161 copy.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 2
Wonderful photos Ed. I love the one of the robin swallowing a cedar berry. You should put them up on the photo gallery. If you resize the image to 3000x2000 pixels or less, they will appear as a thumbnail but will show good resolution when a viewer opens up the image.

I saw something interesting today. Two female Wood Ducks swimming together, and one was alo preening the other around the head and neck. I didn't know that ducks do that.

I saw something interesting today. Two female Wood Ducks swimming together, and one was alo preening the other around the head and neck. I didn't know that ducks do that.
Did you see them near the tower? I seen a female Wood Duck there about 2 weeks ago.

Where is this Forsythe NWR you keep mentioning? Is it anywhere near Brigantine?🤣 I first visited in 1975 when it was Brigantine and I’ve been regular visitor for years. It will always be Brig to me. I also visit Barnegat Lighthouse SP several times in the Winter months. The jetty is THE place to see not only the Harlequin duck but also Scoter, Eider and my favorite the Long-tailed Duck. There’s often flocks of Dunlin, Sanderling, Ruddy Turnstones and Purple Sandpipers on the jetty. The jetty is very dangerous if you’re not steady on your feet. Not only can it get slippery with ice but slimy stuff as well as bird crap. It’s usually extremely cold so wear plenty of layers. The gaps between the jetty rocks are wide enough to fall into as one guy did a few years ago. He was stuck with the tide coming in but was pulled out in time.

Barnegat Jetty

Brig is now Forsythe. Not sure when the name change happened. I have heard of the Barnegat jetty birds, and will be making some trips there to get some photos. The Harlequin duck would be a lifer for me.

Brig is now Forsythe. Not sure when the name change happened. I have heard of the Barnegat jetty birds, and will be making some trips there to get some photos. The Harlequin duck would be a lifer for me.
🤣 Yeah I know. It's always going to be Brig to me, I'll never forget the 2 American Bitterns landing right beside the car back in 1975.

As for the warm clothing advice, absolutely. It's really bitter when the wind rips across the inlet. You need multi layered gloves as well as jackets.
You often don't need a long lens to get great shots as at times the Harlequins hang around on the jetty just a couple of yards away.

Harlequin-9.jpg

Mike that is a stunning photo. The colors and detail are over the top. I hope to get some captures of these beauties this winter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back