• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South Africa - when/where to go? (1 Viewer)

TwoBoy said:
Ag Shame!

Poor little wifey want to travel 1st class everywhere and miss the real African experience.

It sounds like "she" is not with the real world. air.

Hi TwoBoy,

'Wifey' here. If I really said what I am feeling at the moment regards this comment, my thread would definitely get deleted and I'd probably get thrown off BF!

I don't wish to go 1st class everywhere, just a few basic comforts. I think you should think prior to making comments like that - it is very judgemental and quite personal.

Kiki said:
Hi TwoBoy,

'Wifey' here. If I really said what I am feeling at the moment regards this comment, my thread would definitely get deleted and I'd probably get thrown off BF!

I don't wish to go 1st class everywhere, just a few basic comforts. I think you should think prior to making comments like that - it is very judgemental and quite personal.

Hello Keren

Have a look at some of the messages from Chris and bash him also. He came across as you wanting super luxury.

Seriously, if I can do anything to help you get whatever information you need I will do so. You need to send me specific info on where you want to go. You only have 2 weeks as I understand it and this is very little time. If you can tell me what you want to see I will try to get you all the info you need on prices etc. So far, I have given Chris the Kruger prices at present. These do not increase much from year to year. The accommodation there is basic but comfortable. All you really need there is a bed and shower and believe me you will be tired after a days game viewing and be very happy to go to sleep at 8 or 9 pm for an early start every morning. Do a night drive or 2 - they cost about GBP12 p.p.

Internal Flights - I also gathered you want to go to the Cape. You will then need to fly from Johannesburg to Cape Town and back. The best fares can be found here https://www.kulula.com/cgi-bin/airkiosk/I7/181002i?MN - what it amounts to your internal flight will cost you just over GBP120 each return.

Car Hire - Imperial are a good company but there are others like Budget and Tempest (probably cheapest) http://www.imperialcarrental.co.za/pages/rates.aspx is where you will find car hire rates. The Toyota Condor would be good for Kruger, for the Cape go for the absolute cheapest.

The Southern Sun hotels group can be found here. http://www.southernsun.com/Sunrise/ They are very good hotels as a general rule but you can get a lot cheaper with better pricing. I have an AA book I can send you if you email me your postal address.

Here is some whale watching info http://www.places.co.za/html/cwhaler.html - I have not tried this so cannot tell you about its merits or timing.

TwoBoy

Hi TwoBoy,

Thanks for the offer of help. We would like to spend probably a week in Kruger and then are looking at Victoria Falls area and/or the Cape. What would you recommend as being best for the amount of time we have?

Kiki said:
Hi TwoBoy,

Thanks for the offer of help. We would like to spend probably a week in Kruger and then are looking at Victoria Falls area and/or the Cape. What would you recommend as being best for the amount of time we have?
Visited SA 2 years ago,spent 9 days in ne and 4 days in Cape Town,flying home from Joburg, great place ,easy birding generally, some great birds seen,black harrier,dickinsons kestrel, taita falcon,boehms spinetail,mashona hyliota to name a few,also great palagic out of cape town (recommended), 16 ZAR to £ when I visited,so very cheap as well,, get some local knowledge,we were taken on a trip to the karoo from Cape Town with a local birder,shown some really good birds,cinnamon breatsted warbler etc, 353 species in 2 weeks,visiting namibia end of the week,probably post some sort of trip report when I return!!

Hi Chris,

Some advice from a born and bred Capetonian...if you do come to South Africa, it is imperative that you make your way to Cape Town and undertake a pelagic trip. These pelagic trips are classed by many as the best one day pelagic trip in the world!

If you are worried about the time of year, why not have a look at the seasonality tables on my website at www.zestforbirds.co.za which detail the seasonal occurences of both the pelagic birds and marine mammals on these trips. Maybe that will help you in deciding when to come. Your earlier comments about the whales only being around from June to October obviously refers only to the Southern Right Whales. There are a number of other possible species as well which turn up at different times of the year.

Hope you manage to get to our wonderful country!

Regards
Trevor

Hahaha, thanks for that Trevor. If we get to Cape Town I will be going on a pelagic, don't you worry mate!

Trevor Hardaker said:
Hi Chris,

Some advice from a born and bred Capetonian...if you do come to South Africa, it is imperative that you make your way to Cape Town and undertake a pelagic trip. These pelagic trips are classed by many as the best one day pelagic trip in the world!

Can only say I totally agree with this :) Had an amazing day with Wandering Albatross as one of the many highlights. I went in November, not the 'best' season, but still TOTALLY AMAZING with well over hundered albatross of four species, both Giant Petrels, Sab's Gull, etc etc

Jos Stratford said:
Can only say I totally agree with this :) Had an amazing day with Wandering Albatross as one of the many highlights. I went in November, not the 'best' season, but still TOTALLY AMAZING with well over hundered albatross of four species, both Giant Petrels, Sab's Gull, etc etc
We believe the weather down at the Cape can be a bit 'unpredictable' and that it would be better to decide on our second week's destination based on the weather at the time. My concern is that, if we only decide to go down to the Cape at the last minute, we will not be able to get on a pelagic trip at such short notice.
So, do we risk bad weather at the Cape and book in advance and chance spoiling our second week, or do we decide once in Africa based on the forecast and risk not being able to get out on a boat.
BTW we're probably going in Feb/March.

February can have some strong south-easterly winds, but March is generally a little more reliable for reasonable weather. However, I would not wait until you get here to make your decision. These trips are very popular and book up well in advance, so there is little chance of finding a place on board only a week before the trip.

Also remember that there is a lot more to Cape Town than just the pelagic trips. It is home to the Cape Floral Kingdom which has its own endemic suite of birds found nowhere else in the country. It is definitely worth spending a few days in the area.

Regards
Trevor

Got the SASOL 'Bird's of Southern Africa' in the post today. WOW! Some smart looking stuff.
It looks like 7 or 8 days in the Kruger followed by 5 or 6 down at The Cape is what we'll be doing.
All we need now is for the companies who do the pelagic trips from Simon's Town to publish their March '06 schedule then we can start planning our trip around one!

just to keep in mind

CJW said:
Hello all,
we're thinking of going to South Africa in 2006. A long time away I know, but I like to plan in advance (it's not like going to somewhere in Europe after all!). We are unsure of when/where to go and would love a few suggestions.
I've read a couple of trip reports form an August visit on here, but I was kinda hoping to be going a bit sooner than that (February?) as it will be a long time between holidays.
Appreciate any help and advice you can give.

Hi, we love birding and to help visiting birders around. We live in the Limpopo Province near the Kruger Park. We are not a service or a bussiness, just birders who would like to help other birders, our house is open if you are coming to this part of the country.

Regards,
Casper

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back